DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XI - 2/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, just drew said:

Rollins. Ambrose. Alexa Bliss. Bayley. Carmella. Both of CM Punks. And Lesnar trolling everyone for weeks with "Boombox Brock" was good shit, even if the outcome sucked a galaxy of camel dicks.

I forgot Rollins and Ambrose. Added those in while you quoted my post :).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, just drew said:

No worries. I'm the king of forgetting shit and adding it later.

Same. Made me smile with the no worries usage. Me and my Dad frequently use it. Thank you for that, @just drew.

Second promo by The Miz as the new WWE Champion:

And with that, Enter Sandman time for me. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Somebody said the booking on this show made sense (sorry, I can't find the post now to quote it), and, well, maybe if you've been following the weekly shows. But coming in cold, my perspective was different.

I mean, I thought the ending of the Raw Chamber made sense. The commentators made it sound like they'd been building a McIntyre/Sheamus feud, and the ending saw Sheamus have McIntyre dead to rights before Styles intervened. Sheamus could needle McIntyre about that, building to a singles title match at 'Mania.

Then Lashley randomly came out and beat down McIntyre, and I was like, I guess they're blowing off Sheamus-McIntyre at Fast Lane then McIntyre-Lashley at 'Mania? Or vice versa? Still sort of makes sense.

Then Miz came out and won the title, and now I don't know what the fuck they're building towards on the Raw side. Which could be intriguing if I trusted this company to come up with a satisfying way to wrap everything up, I guess. But as it is it's just annoying.

The Smackdown side had a smaller but similar problem. The Chamber match and the quick title match were good stuff and built anticipation to see Brians get a fair shot at the title. But then Edge came out to remind us that, no, the 'Mania match is Reigns vs Edge, which has a lot less appeal.

Again - if this were a company I trusted to deliver long-term storytelling, I'd think they were starting a slow burn to Brians winning the Rumble next year and facing Reigns. And I've heard Smackdown has been well-booked for a while now, so maybe that is the plan. But I doubt whoever's behind the run of good booking will be able to deliver on that plan even if that is the case.

13 minutes ago, just drew said:

Rollins. Ambrose. Alexa Bliss. Bayley. Carmella. Both of CM Punks. And Lesnar trolling everyone for weeks with "Boombox Brock" was good shit, even if the outcome sucked a galaxy of camel dicks.

Liked for going full Wesley Willis with that last part!

• Like 1

I just watched the Bliss, Bayley and Carmella cash-ins on YouTube and I fail to see how any of those were good. In one instance you have Alexa fucking Bliss throwing Ronda Rousey around the ringside area and then beating Nia Jax, who had like a minute or two to recover inside the ring. The other two are just babyfaces getting a win over a heel Charlotte who is either knocked out or on wobbly legs. Yeah, fun times, I guess.

All this says to me is that these are good "moments", but doesn't actually do anything for anyone past that. What made it great for people like Edge or CM Punk is that it shot them straight into the main event scene. Give it to Otis, Damien Sandow, Baron Corbin, etc. and what happens? They're still in the midcard or just barely above it. Brock Lesnar wasn't even in the fucking match when he won the thing. RANDY ORTON got it, the year that Daniel Bryan was red hot (unlike the last time he was red hot and actually won the briefcase, and then it was a big nothingburger).

It's a dated concept and doesn't do anything for anyone - it hasn't for a long, long time. At least if it was for a set date for a World title match, something would be of substance and you'd have that to build around and up to (much like in 2002, when the King of the Ring finals was also for a shot at the title at SummerSlam). It's not just a prop that they can use when it's convenient or to pop a crowd (what's up, Ziggler?).

Been lurking for a bit, figured the night of a PPV was when to say something.

All I have for now is that Cesaro's avatar on Twitter appears to be a Krillin-ized version of himself. How is he surprised he didn't even get to make it to the final phase of any fight?

Oh yeah, that was worth the wait.

• Like 2

On the Smackdown side the story is just all about Roman which honestly does make sense.  He's the guy. The head of the table and all that.. 

Heyman made sure to put it in the contract that Roman would defend at EC but not in EC.  

So it was never about Bryan or Cesaro getting a fair opportunity.  it was about them not getting a fair opportunity.   The story is that Roman is calling all the shots, has all the power and SOMEONE needs to put a stop to that.. 

Edge is like Hogan vs. Slaughter the American hero coming to save the day from the iraq sympathizer except Edge is Canadian that's fine..  don't really think he's the guy that "everyone" wants to vanquish Roman's dominance either.. 

in fairness,  Hogan was never my guy either.  Warrior was my guy. little me cared more about Warrior/Macho than Hogan.  Maybe Edge is someone's "guy" but he's not my guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Been lurking for a bit, figured the night of a PPV was when to say something.

All I have for now is that Cesaro's avatar on Twitter appears to be a Krillin-ized version of himself. How is he surprised he didn't even get to make it to the final phase of any fight?

Oh yeah, that was worth the wait.

Welcome to the board!

• Like 1

I see a lot of people upset by the Raw side outcome and like... this seems like a clear improvement in terms of direction? Miz isn't what anyone would consider a particularly strong champ, but I think we'd all be shocked (even those who thing WWE will choose the dumbest option every time) if Miz is champ beyond Fastlane; I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't champ past tomorrow night. The more important thing is that there now seems like a high probability that WWE has realized that the Raw Mania title match should involve the guy who has been the highlight on the show for the past half year in Bobby Lashley, likely against the fairly protected top face in Drew Mcintyre. If giving the Miz the belt for a few weeks upgrades us to that as opposed to Drew/Sheamus as the top Raw Mania match I'll take that without hesitation.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Welcome to the board!

Thanks, good to be here! If I'm honest I've been quiet because I'm not as hardcore a fan of everything as the people I see post regularly.

The Carmella cash-in was memorable to me but only because Mike Chioda was so fucking stupid during it. "Ya handed me a gaudy briefcase with this big text shit printed on it, what do I do with this? 'Cash in?' The hell? This is a briefcase, not money! I mean, it says 'MONEY' on it but... oh, like, a match? I get it, you're using a metaphor! Well, I guess if you want to have a match we should say it's going to happen and ring the bell, but... are you sure this isn't some prop you lifted from a kids show set? All right, look, we can have this match, but I'm gonna have to knock out a few chapters of Ulysses first, as well as the accompanying notes since I've never read it before. Check back in a while."

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I like Edge, I'm glad he's been able to wrestle again and all that but I don't want to see him face Reigns at Mania. Honestly I would've rather Edge faced Drew at Mania. I think it would've been better if they had Roman vs Big E at WrestleMania or atleast another younger babyface deserving of a Push. Roman is a general now and I think he's had enough WrestleMania matches against grizzled old veterans that are very questionable when it comes to whether they'll be able to deliver. Roman knows he's one of the best in the game but it's unfortunate that alot of his mania matches are effected my his elder opponent being able to deliver. 

This is a great point.

One on One, Roman has faced Drew McIntyre (midcarder at the time), The Undertaker (broken down), Brock Lesnar x2 (lost both times) and vs Triple H (zero tension win). Then he has a couple of 6 man Shield tags.

Roman really needs to get working with some of the top 'younger' talent on the big stage. Big E and Cesaro are right there. The Bryan match would be legit. Having Jimmy/Jey Uso earn a title shot plays right into the story... No way he should lose to Edge so it's a lose/lose situation.

He beats Edge - So what? Edge is 47 years old and one bad bump away from being crippled.
He loses to Edge - He got beaten by a guy who's 47 and one bad bump away from being crippled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

money in the bank is about 5-6 years maybe more past the expiration date. it's rotten.  stop eating it. 

I think you could do lots of fun stuff with the MITB still, off the top of my head
-Have a guy/girl win it and immediately announce they're cashing it in at WM to guarantee that they will be in the main event
-Have a cool, well-dressed heel win it and mock how ugly the briefcase is and make it into a title belt and declare themselves the MITB Champion
-Have it cashed it at a house show (if they ever bring them back) to reinforce how important they are (even if they aren't)
-have two wrestlers win it simultaneously, have them feud over who the rightful holder is over the summer while you simultaneously build up a monster champion, then the co-winners realize that they'd have a better chance of beating said monster in a 3-way match and cash in their briefcase together
-Have the winner hold onto the briefcase all year, right up until the next MITB PPV and keep stirring up doubt as to whether or not they'll cash it in and how they're running out of time

Instead, due to what seems like a genuine lack of planning, the writers/WWE seem to be surprised when the MITB PPV comes up and put them on wrestlers with seemingly no plan as to what to do after they win it (Like Corbin, Sandow, and, most egregiously, Otis where they had no plan beyond "Fatty accidentally wins title when it falls on him" and make the briefcase into a lunchbox before suddenly reversing course and giving it to Miz with no plan, taking it away from him, giving it back to him and backing themselves into a corner with it).  

As with most things WWE, it's not the gimmick, it's the execution. Like the HIAC and TLC PPVs where they have all year to build up to a reason why wrestlers are fighting in these heated, career-shortening matches, like a heated feud or outside interference or what have you and instead they just have random, rather heatless matches here for no other reason than "it's that time of year!"

• Like 2

I think Edge has benefitted from time away. Strikes me he partially rediscovered his love of wrestling through seeing what the new folks were up to for his podcast. I'm curious to see what he does with Roman. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Drew vs Sheamus is what I was hoping for, but AJ eliminating Sheamus probably spells where he stands on the pecking order. Drew vs Lashley generally works well and WWE seemingly finally cracked the code on Lashley, so they could do worse. Please don't bring back Brock. 

Based on excitement for Sheamus v Drew, I think I enjoyed the Raw chamber more as it was seemingly structured so I'd want that match. At the same time, could you have picked a group of six to more clearly illustrate how stale WWE is at the moment? Most of these guys were feuding ten years ago. The guy there who's spent the least time in the company is 43 years old. 

• Like 1

I stopped watching to go pick up my kid around the time of the triple threat for the US title.

Loved the SD elimination chamber. Man, Owens looks done. Not sure if it was the beard, but some serious late Foley vibes of him just hobbling around from spot to spot.

I'm open minded about Mania, Edge and Reigns could be good. Nothing else speaks to me so far.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think Edge has benefitted from time away. Strikes me he partially rediscovered his love of wrestling through seeing what the new folks were up to for his podcast. I'm curious to see what he does with Roman. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Drew vs Sheamus is what I was hoping for, but AJ eliminating Sheamus probably spells where he stands on the pecking order. Drew vs Lashley generally works well and WWE seemingly finally cracked the code on Lashley, so they could do worse. Please don't bring back Brock. 

Based on excitement for Sheamus v Drew, I think I enjoyed the Raw chamber more as it was seemingly structured so I'd want that match. At the same time, could you have picked a group of six to more clearly illustrate how stale WWE is at the moment? Most of these guys were feuding ten years ago. The guy there who's spent the least time in the company is 43 years old. 

Id be all in on Lashley v Lesnar.

Shelton could finally get fed up with Cedric and go back up his buddy from college. Give us Lashley/Alexander v Lesnar/Benjamin.

I guess I'll correct myself: Lesnar is fine, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near a title he can hold hostage. If he's going to be in an interesting attraction match, by all means have at it. That would be fun. 

Knowing how this company has been booked the last few years and what that might portend if he were to return, he can stay far the fuck away. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I guess I'll correct myself: Lesnar is fine, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near a title he can hold hostage. If he's going to be in an interesting attraction match, by all means have at it. That would be fun. 

Knowing how this company has been booked the last few years and what that might portend if he were to return, he can stay far the fuck away. 

Yeah, I soured on 2016-2021 Brock. Lesnar mainly phoned it in but AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan were the exceptions at Survivor Series 2017 and 2018. Those were great. I don't want Brock back. I didn't mind Brock holding the WWE Championship in 2014-2015 as he was delivering inside the ring, Lesnar vs. Reigns at WrestleMania XXXI was fantastic and one of the best main events in the show's long history.