DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XI - 2/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I mean, one the one hand, it's hard to be mad because Miz has done a metric shit-ton of really good shit since his last title reign. "Miz: Smackdown Workhorse" and the promos he was cutting on Cena and Reigns on Raw a couple years back stand out in my mind. This should've happened back then, because this Miz sucks. None of the shit-ton of good shit I mentioned a bit ago has taken place since Morrison came back. They're either building McIntyre/Lashley or Lesnar vs. Champ Lashley & McIntyre/Sheamus.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I mean, one the one hand, it's hard to be mad because Miz has done a metric shit-ton of really good shit since his last title reign. "Miz: Smackdown Workhorse" and the promos he was cutting on Cena and Reigns on Raw a couple years back stand out in my mind. This should've happened back then, because this Miz sucks. None of the shit-ton of good shit I mentioned a bit ago has taken place since Morrison came back. They're either building McIntyre/Lashley or Lesnar vs. Champ Lashley & McIntyre/Sheamus.

They gave the Kofi Kingston career appreciation award to Miz and not Cesaro, even though it was probably Cesaro's time and Miz already has an (old, beat up) watch.

On the other hand, Miz is in a natural feud with Bad Bunny while Cesaro inspires a certain, small part of the fanbase to make cesarean section puns.

• Like 2

Yeah I think people would be less up in arms about Miz the champion if it wasn't for how incredibly awful the last 8 months of him and Morrison is.  Awful comedy and really nothing of substance.   When he cashed in the first time you can argue he wasn't main event level but was working strong.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They gave the Kofi Kingston career appreciation award to Miz and not Cesaro, even though it was probably Cesaro's time and Miz already has an (old, beat up) watch.

On the other hand, Miz is in a natural feud with Bad Bunny while Cesaro inspires a certain, small part of the fanbase to make cesarean section puns.

Maybe if they ran a competition for Claudio to win, starting in the next few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

Miz's 2016 feels so long ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That show got a thumbs up from this house and the kids. Most popular guys with the kids were Cesaro and Lashley.  Most hated were Corbin and Miz.

Just for the sake of science, what's the last show that got a thumbs down in the ol' house, kemosabe?

• Haha 1

I didn't even know going in that the winner of the Smackdown Chamber match was getting a title shot that night so I got really hyped when Bryan won. That Chamber match was that match of the night. Roman coming out immediately and squashing Bryan deflated me although it made sense.

I was expecting Sasha and Bianca to do the old Makeshift team loses and blame each other deal we see too often. That match didn't click with me and that finish makes it worse. When I see a Champaign bottle during a match I think of Liger  vs Juvi and I still hate that deal.

Poor Drew, I wanted him to go to WrestleMania as Champ. 2 meaningless losses. I'm not even upset that Miz won More than Drew losing. The whole build tonight that led to him Cashing in made sense and you didn't see it coming so you gotta give them props for that. 

This wasn't the best PPV in terms of the inring aspect but just about everything made sense, even if I don't necessarily care about the direction of some of these angles. This show was strictly to set up WrestleMania. I didn't even know that Elimination Chamber was this weekend till like 2 days ago  but the last 2 Chamber PPVs were really good. The last one just so happened to be the last PPV with fans so even without knowing 90% of tonight's card I expected a good show ring wise.

I like Edge, I'm glad he's been able to wrestle again and all that but I don't want to see him face Reigns at Mania. Honestly I would've rather Edge faced Drew at Mania. I think it would've been better if they had Roman vs Big E at WrestleMania or atleast another younger babyface deserving of a Push. Roman is a general now and I think he's had enough WrestleMania matches against grizzled old veterans that are very questionable when it comes to whether they'll be able to deliver. Roman knows he's one of the best in the game but it's unfortunate that alot of his mania matches are effected my his elder opponent being able to deliver. 

And I hope Bobby Lashley gets a Title match at Mania 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Just for the sake of science, what's the last show that got a thumbs down in the ol' house, kemosabe?

Beats me. We stopped watching for awhile. There were lots when it was just me and my pals watching. But now that it's just me and my family with the kids across the street who are falling in love with wrestling? The last three have been great. Especially when even the kids made fun of burning the Fiend alive.

I thought this show was pretty great. I guess they're trying to give Drew as many reigns in a row as possible which is bleh, but generally I don't care much about RAW. But Smackdown has been consistently good to great.

Again, watching wrestling with my nephew, who's been watching his whole life,  and his pals who are loving discovering it has been a blast. Post Pandemic you should trek out to Colorado and join us for a show. I always make a spread. It was pizza and wings tonight.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, please. But I'd be okay if it was changed to the winner of the briefcase had to set an actual concrete date for the match, not just cash it in anytime.

Absolutely. What was Edge seemingly exploiting a loophole has gone on for fifteen god forsaken years. The cash in teases are lazy and dull. Having to cash it in has a way of sometimes feeling like it’s distrupting the flow of the booking. Even by bullshit WWE standards, these wins have zero legitimacy with none of the excitement of the first few cash ins. Enough. 

And that’s before I reiterate how tired I am of crowded ladder matches. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So Edge vs Roman is official.   In reality Edge isn't on Reigns level based on the last 6 months.  But this isn't reality.   

I assume the next month and a half is Christian getting destroyed 

Man if Christian gets to work a match against Roman and it gets a decent amount of time and if competitive then Christian could easily have a better match this Roman than Edge would.

One of you guys brought up possibly a Triple Threat with Carmella,  Sasha and Bianca. I hope not. But it wouldn't surprise me 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Absolutely. What was Edge seemingly exploiting a loophole has gone on for fifteen god forsaken years. The cash in teases are lazy and dull. Having to cash it in has a way of sometimes feeling like it’s distrupting the flow of the booking. Even by bullshit WWE standards, these wins have zero legitimacy with none of the excitement of the first few cash ins. Enough. 

I mean, there's been some pretty good cash-ins in the last few years. Rollins at Mania set the standard, but Ambrose's was fantastic too. If WWE had a single writer that could properly pay off long-term storytelling, it would've been even sweeter. Most, if not all, of the women's cash-ins have been good. Alexa, Carmella, and Bayley all felt like they meant something. The biggest problem with MITB is that it no longer makes stars. Miz (the first time), Edge, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and Dolph Ziggler all got moments they'd never had in their careers because of their cash-ins. I'd like to see MITB matches limited in the future to guys & girls who have never been world champions. I think that would solve a lot of problems.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

The SD EC was pretty good. The action was interesting and nice through out with everyone involved delivering. This actually might have been Corbin's bets performance in WWE. I only wish Cesaro won. I have no interest in seeing Edge challenge Roman. Hopefully we at least get Roman vs. Cesaro or Bryan at Fastlane.

Skipped the US Title match.

Women's Tag Titles match was ok.

Raw's EC was generally solid, but couldn't come close to SD's. Too many much dead time, and booking wasn't quite as strong. The post match angle with Miz finally getting the WWE title back was something. I didn't hate it outright, but I really wish they didn't spend the last year making Miz look like a joke again before giving him the title. This really should have happened 4-5 years ago. I do look forward to Lashley vs. Drew for the belt however they get there.

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I see very little current WWE and absolutely nothing that I don't want to see unless it's Mania, basically. So I haven't seen any Corbin in forever. He looked pretty good in there. Does he usually look as good as he did tonight? Just one impactful bit of bullying offense after the next. I can't imagine watching him on a weekly basis but I could see myself tracking down a Bryan or Cesaro singles match now and again.

Corbin has been good for the last few months, but I still can't say there is anything you need to go out of your way to find.

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

does anyone understand why Reginald is involved with the women and Carmella isn't present?  wtf is going on with that....   

Carmella actually addressed him on this past Smackdown. Even threw wine in his face. I assume they are planning to have him break off and join Sasha so she can play heel vs. Bianca. Otherwise I have no idea why they are doing this as it makes little sense.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, please. But I'd be okay if it was changed to the winner of the briefcase had to set an actual concrete date for the match, not just cash it in anytime.

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

A suggestion I'd make is having to defend the briefcase like in New Japan Pro Wrestling and the shot is at a certain show, NJPW's is at Wrestle Kingdom. The MITB format is stale.

Memorable cash-ins. The first by Edge to John Cena (January 2006), RVD vs. John Cena at ECW One Night Stand 2006, Edge on The Undertaker (May 2007), Kane on Rey Mysterio at Money in the Bank 2010, Dolph Ziggler to ADR (Post WrestleMania XXIX RAW), Seth Rollins at WrestleMania XXXI and Dean Ambrose at MITB 2016.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

A suggestion I'd make is having to defend the briefcase like in New Japan Pro Wrestling and the shot is at a certain show, NJPW's is at Wrestle Kingdom. The MITB format is stale.

Not many memorable cash-ins. The exceptions were the first by Edge to John Cena (January 2006), RVD vs. John Cena at ECW One Night Stand 2006, Edge on The Undertaker (May 2007), Kane on Rey Mysterio at Money in the Bank 2010 and Dolph Ziggler to ADR (Post WrestleMania XXIX RAW).

Rollins. Ambrose. Alexa Bliss. Bayley. Carmella. Both of CM Punks. And Lesnar trolling everyone for weeks with "Boombox Brock" was good shit, even if the outcome sucked a galaxy of camel dicks.

• Like 4

Hoping we get Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan proper at Fastlane which would be fitting as that happened at the first one in 2015 or at SummerSlam. Roman Reigns shouldn't be losing the WWE Universal Championship to Edge at WrestleMania XXXVII.

On that thought, going to try and get some sleep at its coming up to 04:10am UK time. Cheers.

I'd say Punk had two pretty memorable cash-ins, since the second one helped catalyze his heel turn.

One problem is that between MitB, the Rumble, and the Elimination Chambers, there are too many established "win this to get a title shot" gimmick matches. But that's part and parcel of the WWE running every good thing into the ground.

• Thanks 2