DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

AEW Women's World Championship Eliminator Tournament:

Japanese side: Aja Kong, Yuka Sakazaki, Veny(ASUKA in Japan), Emi Sakura, Ryo Mizunami, Mei Suruga, Rin Kadokura, and Maki Itoh.

U.S side: Serena Deeb, Riho, Britt Baker, Tay Conti, Thunder Rosa, Nyla Rose, Anna Jay, and Leyla Hirsch.

• Like 2

That Japan side of the bracket makes me so happy. Suruga is legit. So good for her age and experience. Veny/Asuka is tremendous and also great for her experience/age. Maki Itoh on tape delay is still dangerous, lol.

(they also gave us Sinz Minz on the same night). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

AEW Women's World Championship Eliminator Tournament:

Japanese side: Aja Kong, Yuka Sakazaki, Veny(ASUKA in Japan), Emi Sakura, Ryo Mizunami, Mei Suruga, Rin Kadokura, and Maki Itoh.

U.S side: Serena Deeb, Riho, Britt Baker, Tay Conti, Thunder Rosa, Nyla Rose, Anna Jay, and Leyla Hirsch.

I'm excited to see the Japanese women I'm not familiar with, which would be Veny, Ryo Mizunami, Mei Suruga, Rin Kadokura, and Maki Itoh. I'm also super excited to see Aja Motherfucking Kong again.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people didn't like Emi's AEW run but she was one of my favorite acts in the early Dynamite days, hyped to see her and Riho back along with the Magical Girl Yuka Sakazaki. All the new names are great additions, exciting times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You are all gonna need a Roster Crossover Fantasy Booking, Commentary and Masturbation thread, aren't you? 

What was that? ?

So anyway, sobering up a bit after the initial shock, I feel like Yuka may be da one to win that side of the bracket. She's already familiar to AEW's audience and TJPW protects the hell out of her. I think before she dropped the title she had lost like one fall in a year or something crazy during her long title reign and the way they shifted the belt off of her was hella protected too. I'd be a lil disappointed because of how much I want to see one of the other three women make it to America for a run but I can see it. They just had her drop the title at the start of the year freeing this up too.

59 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm not huge into joshi...is Bea Priestly or Jamie Hayter not being included a bad sign regarding their relationship with AEW?

I read something about Bea's release being a visa related issues. They supposedly want her back at some point so I wouldn't be shocked if it happens when the pandemic is over. No one really knows what was up with Jamie though she was dating Havoc when she came in and noticeably not when she stopped. In general though her focus is returning to Japan & Stardom so I wouldn't expect much.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

What was that? ?

So anyway, sobering up a bit after the initial shock, I feel like Yuka may be da one to win that side of the bracket. She's already familiar to AEW's audience and TJPW protects the hell out of her. I think before she dropped the title she had lost like one fall in a year or something crazy during her long title reign and the way they shifted the belt off of her was hella protected too. I'd be a lil disappointed because of how much I want to see one of the other three women make it to America for a run but I can see it. They just had her drop the title at the start of the year freeing this up too.

I think it depends on visas, if getting visas is an issue- it would be Yuka or Emi, probably Yuka.  Has Maki or Veny appeared in the States yet?  Those were my two favorites to win it in terms of value to AEW in a longer run.

Veny because it could be an excursion type deal to gain trust, and Maki because she's Maki, and she'd be mega over in AEW just with interactions with the rest of the roster and her likely attempts to form an AEW army.

Edited by alstein

3 hours ago, alstein said:

Has Maki or Veny appeared in the States yet?

Maki Itoh was on the DDT shows in 2019 for WrestleMania weekend. And Joey Ryan's show.

Pretty sure Veny/ASUKA hasn't wrestled in the US before.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I read something about Bea's release being a visa related issues. They supposedly want her back at some point so I wouldn't be shocked if it happens when the pandemic is over. No one really knows what was up with Jamie though she was dating Havoc when she came in and noticeably not when she stopped. In general though her focus is returning to Japan & Stardom so I wouldn't expect much.

To me, if AEW was really trying to foster their relationship with New Japan, they would be using women from Stardom*. Bringing in freelancers is great and all, but if a heavy concentration of the best girls are in Stardom, you probably should be using them since they're owned by the same parent company. 

*If their schedule permits, of course.

You know how awesome it would be if this is still a thing and they had an "AEW vs the World" video game come out?  I don't know what the future holds with all these partnerships but if that ever happened I would play the ever-loving crap out of it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alstein said:

Veny because it could be an excursion type deal to gain trust, and Maki because she's Maki, and she'd be mega over in AEW just with interactions with the rest of the roster and her likely attempts to form an AEW army.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Maki Itoh was on the DDT shows in 2019 for WrestleMania weekend. And Joey Ryan's show.

Pretty sure Veny/ASUKA hasn't wrestled in the US before.

Veny's first US appearance was supposed to be last year only to be canceled for obvious reasons with COVID running wild.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To me, if AEW was really trying to foster their relationship with New Japan, they would be using women from Stardom*. Bringing in freelancers is great and all, but if a heavy concentration of the best girls are in Stardom, you probably should be using them since they're owned by the same parent company. 

*If their schedule permits, of course.

If I recall correctly Cody & Brandi did want to work with Stardom. They couldn't because Stardom already had a deal in place with ROH. Schedule wise if definitely wouldn't work until a post-Covid situation. Besides though I don't watch much outside of Stardom I've seen and heard enough to say the best women are well spread out in the joshi scene. People like Yoshiko, Arisa Nakajima, Chihiro Hashimoto, Rina Yamashita, Tsukasa Fujimoto & Iroha are all very well regarded. Ryo Mizunami and Veny are up around there as well. 

AEW actually made a pretty well balanced range of choices from good to entertaining. Rin Kadokura is probably the weakest person appearing. Perfectly solid wrestler, but not as high level or entertaining as others. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Veny's first US appearance was supposed to be last year only to be canceled for obvious reasons with COVID running wild.

If I recall correctly Cody & Brandi did want to work with Stardom. They couldn't because Stardom already had a deal in place with ROH. Schedule wise if definitely wouldn't work until a post-Covid situation. Besides though I don't watch much outside of Stardom I've seen and heard enough to say the best women are well spread out in the joshi scene. People like Yoshiko, Arisa Nakajima, Chihiro Hashimoto, Rina Yamashita, Tsukasa Fujimoto & Iroha are all very well regarded. Ryo Mizunami and Veny are up around there as well. 

AEW actually made a pretty well balanced range of choices from good to entertaining. Rin Kadokura is probably the weakest person appearing. Perfectly solid wrestler, but not as high level or entertaining as others. 

I think we discussed this not too long ago, but it seems like the Nakajimas and the Irohas of the world don't seem to be in a big hurry to leave Japan. Now crazy ass Rina Yamashita in the USA...sign me up now.

My thought is if you're working with Stardom, you wouldn't have to worry about WWE picking them off because they're really not under contract with anybody. An added benefit is if you want to use someone regularly, you don't have to worry about if and when they go somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Stardom roster is mostly Stardom signed now and Sumire (freelance) who is healing her injuries and the Clown from YMZ I spammed months ago. They also will battle with Marvelous and Seadlinnng soon.

Mostly but not fully in isolation mode for now.

Edited by D.Z

Stardom's roster has always been mostly signed aside from that period after the Act/Yoshiko incident. Its why it took so long for WWE to get Kairi & Io after it was announced WWE was trying to pick them up. 

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Am I missing something? That's what I was saying.

Honestly, the way you wrote it was kind of confusing. TJPW, who AEW has a working relationship with, have most of their talent contracted as well. I think only Veny & Ryo are freelancers. Aja is with Oz Academy officially though I think she can basically do whatever she damn well pleases. Mei is with Emi's Gatoh Move. Rin is with Marvelous. Itoh & Yuka are with TJPW.

I think only three freelancers ever expressed interest in WWE. Two of them are still out there in Makoto & Hiroyo. The third signed with AEW and is their current women's champ.

Edited by Eivion

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, the way you wrote it was kind of confusing. TJPW, who AEW has a working relationship with, have most of their talent contracted as well. I think only Veny & Ryo are freelancers. Aja is with Oz Academy officially though I think she can basically do whatever she damn well pleases. Mei is with Emi's Gatoh Move. Rin is with Marvelous. Itoh & Yuka are with TJPW.

I think only three freelancers ever expressed interest in WWE. Two of them are still out there in Makoto & Hiroyo. The third signed with AEW and is their current women's champ.

By freelance, I mean wrestlers working in (usually smaller) offices that wouldn't have an issue working in other places/promotions especially in a case like this were there was a deal in place with rival/competing promotions. Moreover, I am assuming the deals Stardom has in place with their talent is a little bit more ironclad (especially post Bushiroad purchase and in light of losing key pieces to WWE) than other promotions. 

I am confused as to what D.Z. was talking about.