DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Big Show has good punches. 

No it's the other DVDVR trope that did it.

Spoiler

001.jpg

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Tony himself said he had "Big News" yesterday on FFWonline

Good thing that the clue was in the 'Big' and not in the 'News'. I'm pretty sure that 54 year-old PN News has less to offer than 49 year-old Wight, but the way they are snapping up mid-90's WCW locker room, I wouldn't 100% bet against it.

On balance, I think he'll be an asset with the backstage insight, the charisma and the humour. I second the replacement of JR. I'm puzzled what he offers in a consultative capacity that can't be substituted by the sum total of all the other experienced hands they now have, and it's pretty much consensus that the wheels are falling off regarding his commentary.  

edit to add: Just saw @El Gran Gordi's suggestion. I was more thinking the whiny turn-of-millennium indie rockers Travis. It gets Show's cry-baby vibe and the repetitive use of the word 'turn' is self-explanatory. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Holy shit, listening to TK on WOL finally, and I cannot overstate how bizarre it is to have him referencing actual threads and arguments I completely remember from my lurking days here in HS/college. 

More or less bizarre than reading Bix posts in an actual published book (the Benoit one)?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Random speculation, but can Paul Wight fit through the 'Forbidden Door'?

I want to see Suzuki try to Gotch him.

Good shout.

Also, the morbid curiosity of Bad Luck Fale work as the little guy for him.

16 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

...probably? I suspect that name is too generic to trademark, but I'm not a lawyer.

I thought the same. He’s recognisable enough either way but it doesn’t seem right for him to just to have a ‘normal’ name. “The Giant” Paul Wight would work and would nod to WCW.

• Thanks 1

He shall henceforth be known as...The Gaint!

I don’t know if Tony K originally started in #rspw on Usenet (The thinking man’s Twitter) .  The non-moderated group became unreadable and everyone seemed to just migrate over here with everyone else back In roughly 1999-2000.

I hope he wasn’t one of the posters that I couldn’t avoid during a rough bitchy period I went through on the board.  That sleaze thread just wouldn’t die.  Does anyone remember if he used to go into the chat as well?  His handle just sounds way too familiar to me.

43 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

If only there was someone on the roster with the appropriate level of real estate nous to help him with his failing strip mall investments.

Then after he helps him out, Wight can turn on him!

Honestly, considering how often Wight has turned and how often people turn on Sting, it's kind of odd that hasn't happened yet.

IIRC the last time he left WWE and worked that match against Hogan in memphis he went by Paul "The Great" Wight. Not saying he should do that now, but it might be a name he already owns and would be able to use. 

Depends if you count his post-invasion win against the Rock/Undisputed tournament win. Technically it's the same belt, but I think the company doing the booking is more important than the name of the belt for the spirit of this argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Custos said:

On balance, I think he'll be an asset with the backstage insight, the charisma and the humour. I second the replacement of JR. I'm puzzled what he offers in a consultative capacity that can't be substituted by the sum total of all the other experienced hands they now have, and it's pretty much consensus that the wheels are falling off regarding his commentary.

This is a common talking point so don't think I'm picking on you here. But do people really not understand what JR brings to the show? I understand he's grouchy, he's a curmudgeon, sometimes he doesn't like what he sees and he lets you know about it. But he's also the most famous wrestling announcer in the history of the business. He was the lead voice when they were doing 6 million viewers a week. He brings credibility. People that are only casual viewers flipping through the channels will recognize his voice and be like wait is that JR on a different wrestling show?

Now does that value outweigh his draw backs? Opinions definitely vary on that. But no one should puzzled at what he offers. He's legitimately the most famous & well known commentator in the history of the business.

15 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is a common talking point so don't think I'm picking on you here. But do people really not understand what JR brings to the show? I understand he's grouchy, he's a curmudgeon, sometimes he doesn't like what he sees and he lets you know about it. But he's also the most famous wrestling announcer in the history of the business. He was the lead voice when they were doing 6 million viewers a week. He brings credibility. People that are only casual viewers flipping through the channels will recognize his voice and be like wait is that JR on a different wrestling show?

Now does that value outweigh his draw backs? Opinions definitely vary on that. But no one should puzzled at what he offers. He's legitimately the most famous & well known commentator in the history of the business.

He's become what Gordon Solie became at the end (crazy lush and all) except that they (NWA/WCW) decided since if they couldn't beat WWF at the box office, they would have every commentator in the history of time. They had Solie and Lance Russell doing PBP on a wrestling hotline.

Since they haven't made anymore trustworthy, quality PBP commentators, Jim Ross doesn't have to worry about a much younger Jim Ross type taking his job and demoting him to doing update center type segments and trying to add seriousness to angles involving a stunt man playing RoboCop.