DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, D.Z said:

Hopefully AEW rehabs Paul and don't book him as crying heel/face flip flopper like WWE did.  Anyway AEW really seems to want to link up with WCW history.

Just had the best idea EVER:

As opposed to when Sting enters while snow is falling, Paul Wight shows up to a raining of tears effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is there any precedent for having a commentator who is sizeably more imposing than the rest of the entire roster? Not sure that’s a good idea at all

He’s only 49. As a worker he should have at least a few years left him in. Great addition in that respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is AEW's chance to finally make Big Show vs Shaq happen.

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

YOU BEAT ME TO IT

Same!  I was thinking the only way to redeem the Cody/Shaq angle would be for Cody to show up with his arm in a sling and announce Show as his replacement. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wight could be a pretty good commentator, honestly, and brings at least some early curiosity to a developmental show. 

Him used sparingly and as an attraction for marquee matches could work as well. I mean, WWE at least got that right by feeding him to Drew after Mania last year. You have him wrestle four times a year and build him to eventually put over your Wardlow's or whomever and it could be very effective. 

In regards to the weird dunking of "look at them signing these old WWE guys." That was never the knock on TNA. Of course you bring in stars. The issue with TNA is they would bring in these guys, let them run rough-shod over their rosters, reboot their creative around them and, with few exceptions, most of the jumps saw TNA as a paid vacation. 

Once you sign a wrestler, he's yours to make value out of. So far, AEW has gotten a lot of mileage out of guys that were maybe on the long-side of their prime in WWE. 

Edited by Hagan
grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I've always thought WWE kind of mismanaged Paul, so I'm curious to see what kind of legend treatment he gets outside of that environment. And whether it's short comedy matches or Kenny seeing what he can get out of the big old lug, I'm excited to see him wrestling here. All in.

I feel the same.  Tho, I haven’t seen ‘sonofabitch Paul Wight’, as Stunning Steve called him upon his WWF debut, for many years.  One of the last things I saw Show do was a promo for the then upcoming new WWECW show.  It was one of a couple promos they did online that were awesome (and a throwback compared to the prevailing magic camera nonsense) and felt clearly Heyman produced.  I remember it being as good as any promo he ever cut.    

Very excited by the potential of this signing.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I feel the same.  Tho, I haven’t seen ‘sonofabitch Paul Wight’, as Stunning Steve called him upon his WWF debut, for many years.  One of the last things I saw Show do was a promo for the new ECW show at the time.  It was one of a couple promos they did online that felt clearly Heyman produced.  I remember it being as good as any promo he ever cut.  

Very excited by the potential of this signing.

Show as the WWECW Extreme Giant is one of my favorite things he's ever done and I recommend checking some of that stuff out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Poor bastard won't know which ramp to enter through every week 

They should redo the middle entrance Cody comes out of and just have him go through there.  Or just say fuck it and have him use both tunnels with no real pattern to it all.

I'm quite amused by the fact that they signed Wright to a deal.  That's a pretty "out of left field" pick if there ever was one though it's funny they hinted about this at the end of Khan's interview yesterday.  I just ask that they bring him in for season 2 of "Go Big Show" and they find some way to say "Go!" then just point to him.

Also to @Flair’s Shadow's point I really like the idea of Mauro being brought in for Elevate.  If he doesn't go heavy on the pop culture stuff and can make it work that would make for an interesting pairing.

Unrelated to anything here other than Show's constant turning, but I gotta get this off my chest: I fucking hate. HATE. the tunnels. Mostly everything else about the show/promotion feels fresh, but man, I see that ramp and I feel like I'm in high school watching TNA at 3 PM again. The sooner they ditch it, the better. Maybe when it's safe to tour again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Show as the WWECW Extreme Giant is one of my favorite things he's ever done and I recommend checking some of that stuff out.

I'll second that especially the WTF sight of seeing Big Show and RIC FUCKING FLAIR using barbed wire and thumbtacks on the 11th of July WWECW TV show.

• Thanks 1

He probably remains in the top 10 most recognisable active stars in the world, and like Sting & Jericho one of the very few last remaining active workers from the 90s-mid 00s commercial heyday. Not sure why this would be considered a strange move to make — he probably has a ton of value to add to a company developing their brand recognition?

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

My favorite Show eras were 1) 1997ish WCWSN matches with Meng with dropkicks and shit, and 2) when he came back after the Mayweather match and was getting the punch over. That match with Taker at I believe it was No Mercy was legit good as hell with an awesome ending. 

That's right, No Mercy 2008. Big Show had a great 2008 with the miracle match vs. Floyd Mayweather  Jr. at WrestleMania XXIV and the series of matches with The Undertaker. The No Mercy 2008 match was the best 'Taker/Show match.

Not sure why people would think WCW veteran The Giant, who left WWE to become a pro boxer and ended working Hogan on a Memphis indie, would be a WWE lifer.

Not sure there actually are any WWE lifers who aren't actual McMahons, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A buddy of mine cracked me up with this text: "Yo what if they name him Titan"

Just because Rick Bognar just passed doesn't mean he should be named Big Titan.

God, they need to sign Titán. I would love it to be Titán and Big Titán in AEW.

10 minutes ago, Ace said:

The real bidding war now begins. Does he go to BtE or the Sammy Guevara show?

People from my other hobby ask me about Big Show because he's part of Joe Mangianello's D&D group in Hollywood (he would fly in FROM FLORIDA every week to play). So he's going to Critical Botch, most likely.