DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I haven't finished but the biggest negative from this week tournament matches is Taz in commentary.  It is obvious he has no clue about this tournament and not very good at hiding it

Jerkoffs are still calling Tommy Ran a guy.

9 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

That sure beats out Danny Limelight for Unluckiest Wrestler in February 2021.  I thought Limelight’s COVID quarantine in the midst of a bidding war over his rep in no less than three companies was unfortunate.

Anna Jay makes Limelight look lucky in contrast.

3 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

— Leyla Hirsch vs Brooke Havok with Cody Rhodes

Apparently, Danny and Anna have company as it looks like Brooke Havok tore her ACL in her match with Leyla Hirsch.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Full Dark lineup for tomorrow night -

Any idea of a run time yet? I'm just wondering if its going to be a return to the 2.5 hour Dark shows or more like last week's mile a minute hour run time.

I hope they stick with last week's format where it's mostly proper squashes with the occasional match where the jobber gets to show their stuff.

Maybe I just don't love pro wrestling enough, but I find two hours of wrestlers going through the motions of competitive matches when the outcomes aren't actually in doubt a bit tedious.

• Like 1

I much prefer last week's format but if it's old format then I just use that to skip matches I don't have interest in.  It's the main reason why I normally start Dark on a half hour delay so I can do just that.  Last time I tried watching live it was indeed tedious.

For those of you who do that (I admit I am in the same boat) who do you skip?

I am actively avoiding Kip Sabian and Ivelisse currently with a finger on the trigger for Penelope Ford and the Gunn Club.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goodear said:

For those of you who do that (I admit I am in the same boat) who do you skip?

I am actively avoiding Kip Sabian and Ivelisse currently with a finger on the trigger for Penelope Ford and the Gunn Club.

I agree on your picks though admittedly the one time seeing them Colt Gunn looked better than I thought.  Also not keen on seeing SCU as much or Shanna though with her that's more for other reasons not worth getting into.

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I hope they stick with last week's format where it's mostly proper squashes with the occasional match where the jobber gets to show their stuff.

Maybe I just don't love pro wrestling enough, but I find two hours of wrestlers going through the motions of competitive matches when the outcomes aren't actually in doubt a bit tedious.

I think at this stage, everyone needs ring time and/or experience. Plus management can search for their next project/signing. They can't do that with 30 second squashes. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ka-to said:

Jerkoffs are still calling Tommy Ran a guy.

I was really surprised that no one informed Excalibur of it after last week, and then to hear them go back and forth about "him" and "he" during the Kong-Mizunami match. 

Someone brought it to his attention, because he tweeted this:

I’m one of the freaks that loves the two hours of squash matches/semi-competitive squashes/JTTS.  The women’s matches can be sloppier than the men’s offerings.  That isn’t an observation as much as it is a foregone conclusion.  There have been so many inexperienced women that I can’t just point out who the main culprit is.  It’s almost as if the camera operator takes these bewildering and disorienting angles in some shots where we have no idea at all what they were going for.

The Gunn Club is the only act that causes me to zone out and lose interest.  SCU are also really really boring in 2020-2021.  If Scorpio Sky isn’t wrestling for SCU it is quite a chore to watch them wrestle.  Daniels is just on autopilot   Life is too short to watch a Chris Daniels match in 2021.  He has wrestled the same spots since 1998 Shotgun matches with TAKA.  Has he ever switched it up all these many years.  From the Fallen Angel to Curry Man and later the stupid Suicide character he is maybe the most predictable guy on the roster.  He does have one foot out the door on his inring career...but that doesn’t make those loooong competitive squashes that SCU has all the freakin’ time.  

Fans of Chikara might have noticed a Battiri reunion on this week’s Dark.  They are really recognizable even out of the Obaryon and Koda gimmicks.  Not that I thought they were any good in that gimmick but at least we know some Chikara guys are getting work.  They just need to keep Kobald far away because he is like a cross between Marko Stunt and Serpentico.  The look is Serpentico and the intimidation factor is way down at Stunt’s level.

Okay, y'all gonna want to catch Tony Khan on today's Wrestling Observer Live. Dude started off talking about this here board quite a bit. I think this warrants quite the discussion because this kind of freaks me out how much they cover it.  I think I may need to ask @RIPPAto see how much of all this is in the archives somewhere.  And yes he mentioned the sleaze thread as his favorite part of the board. 

EDIT:  Here's the link to the page. https://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-live/wol-tony-khan-interview-plus-raw-miz

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that too. Forgot they put their stuff on YouTube. 

Oh, and I got a hearty laugh at seeing Peaks and Valleys being a team on Dark. Anything that reminds me of Lebowski is a good thing. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

2 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Nick Comoroto needs JD Drake as a tag team partner.  

Seriously Eddie and JD probably need a ton of lotion after that match as their chests were a reddish mess.  Exactly what I thought the match would be

Impressive debut from JJ Garrett.  Showed a ton of arrogance too

The Acclaimed are a weird team but this licking of the hand by Caster is beyond creepy 

Come on Ryan Nemeth is so 2010 Dolph Ziggler the WWE should sue for copyright.   I guess Dolph allows him to use his old gimmick every 10 years 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Seriously Eddie and JD probably need a ton of lotion after that match as their chests were a reddish mess.  Exactly what I thought the match would be

I guess the real match is going to be QT & Nick vs Johnson & Solow.  I knew about The Nightmare Family connection but I just figured Nick “no story, no explanation” Comoroto could just be a hand wave away in the dead of night.  Quality control is important but it doesn’t matter at all with someone who hasn’t set anything up angle or storyline-wise since he joined the family of bad dreams.  

I am glad they have resisted turning -1’s stable into some unholy abomination combining DX and The Oddities.  JR is still in a New York State of mind as he uses only the broadest brush strokes.  I didn’t expect him to reinvent his broadcasting style for AEW but he seems to exclusively see the world of wrestling as something that was perfected roughly around 2000.  He is the worst part of Dynamite and maybe the reason I enjoy Dark so much. It seems like they had a word with him about his half-assed dirty old man who would only pop up during women’s matches.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:33 AM, hammerva said:

Whoever books Dark should get a gold star for debuting JD Drake next week against Eddie Kingston.  Just two big hosses chopping and punching the crap out each other

Oh man, were you ever right about that! A rare AEW match that belongs in the DVDVR Clubbering thread. (Even though there was literally a flip in it, near the end) Loved that. Definitely hoping for more of Drake on Dark.

• Like 1