DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

All the senior wrestlers win and, yeah, they also have ties with AEW. Good matches throughout with Veny/Emi being pretty great and motn for me. Good stuff. 

Itoh doesn't win often. She's starting to turn that around but her whole story is enduring pain and failure and refusing to give in. Mizunami is several levels above of her on the hierarchy despite Itoh's popularity. Only result I was surprised by was Veny losing to Sakura. They'd be foolish not to bring over the losers over in due time. 

No hashtag either, which is strange for a free, online show. Their social media management is bad though so whatever. 

Edited by Jiji

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

First match was an acceptable rookie showcase but far from a match I would use to convert anyone to joshi.

Those last three were some of the best AEW-branded matches I've seen in ages. Everyone looked like a superstar. Best I've seen Emi look. Veny's a star. Maki's a charisma supernova. Mizunami's been so good for so long that I forgot what a great character she can play. Aja worked around her limitations because she is a legitimate wrestling God. Rin Kadokura is the real deal and looked like it.

This is my new cool kid answer for "Best Episode of Dynamite".

“Maki's a charisma supernova”

Absolutely.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

@John E. Dynamite I'd have to disagree with you there, since Yuka Sakazaki is one of the "rookies" you're talking about and she's massively popular with the AEW fanbase/live crowds.

Didn't mean to imply that Sakazaki is a rookie. My opinion is that Mei Suruga looked pretty damned green, Yuka isn't the type to carry anybody right now, and the match probably turned off viewers with dismissive shitlord tendencies. I imagine a few cynical kids watched two super-cute types have a sloppy match and found something else to watch on youtube instead of hanging around for Veny/Emi. And I weep for them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Huh, there were two spots where it looked a little clunky but I thought it was good otherwise. 

Viewership went up after the match but it didn't drop from what I saw. 

Edited by Jiji

I didn't think it was especially sloppy or anything, I still enjoyed it. But for someone who only started in early 2018, I'd say Suruga is a lot better than she has any right to be this early on.

Also:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Itoh doesn't win often. She's starting to turn that around but her whole story is enduring pain and failure and refusing to give in.

I'm glad to hear they'll be bringing her in anyway. I think she'll get over huge. Agree that It's have been counterproductive to have her win the tournament and then try and bring her in as a plucky underdog.

Edited by El Gran Gordi

Again, I think Maki could use the TJPW touring schedule for another year but they best not let her slip to nxt. 

Fuck off flaky Hangman, Itoh Queen of simps is perfect for Dark Order leader. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

AEW Twitter is exploding right now. They are in love with Maki. I suspect she is already signed and will come when AEW gets crowds back. Maki is going to be a huge star. The merchandise will fly off the rack. 

I think she signed with TJPW last year. She will probably appear anyways as AEW has an official relationship with them.

18 minutes ago, Jiji said:
Again, I think Maki could use the TJPW touring schedule for another year  but they best not let her slip to nxt. 

I don't see her signing even if WWE expressed interest.

• Like 1

Veny is a freaking star. I'm sure that they will be back. I've loved Sakura for a while even while doing weird Freddie Mercury so glad to see her return and advance.

Aja Kong is still Aja Kong. We all aren't worthy. And she would be the right one to derail Rin.

Itoh would indeed be a smart signing.

Just a really solid hour of decent to very good wrestling. I predicted that this tournament would bring the goodness. 

• Like 2

I can't think of a good way to beat Aja on this side. I'm cool with a rematch of 2018 OZ match of the year with 2018 MVP Shida. 

Announcer guy didn't know who Tommy is. WTF?

VENY/Asuka is billed as a genderless wrestler in Japan.

Seeing four all action matches in just over one hour made for a great show. 

I feel like those people don't watch Maki Itoh much beyond memes, which is fine, but losing is what she does.

Daniel Bryan's '13-'14 run was one of the most unique and special stretches for any wrestler of the post-Attitude Era, but it also set a bad precedent where people think losing all of the time is a great way of getting people over. It only works in very particular circumstances that mesh with the character presented. It works for Itoh because of her hard headedness and passion. You don't think the decision makers in AEW have taken notice of her niche popularity and the reaction to her performance? They'd be stupid not to reach out and build some sort of long-term plan with Itoh and Takagi. 

3 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Why is Veny referred to as they? I’m sure Excalibur maybe explained and I was distracted. 

Shida's rundown of the competitors included a quick blurb about Veny being the first nonbinary wrestler in Japan. I always had seen Veny referred to as she, so I was thinking the same thing you did. I remember reading an article about Veny telling their dad about wanting to identify as a woman/girl and the dad being about as sweet and understanding as one could possibly imagine, wanting his child to be happy/comfortable. 

Mei Suruga has spent like an hour crying on the ChocoPro Live stream, lol. It's funny because her character is just her personality from all appearances. Super immature prodigy. 

17 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I can't think of a good way to beat Aja on this side. I'm cool with a rematch of 2018 OZ match of the year with 2018 MVP Shida. 

Announcer guy didn't know who Tommy is. WTF?

VENY/Asuka is billed as a genderless wrestler in Japan.

Seeing four all action matches in just over one hour made for a great show. 

Spoiler

Yuka is almost 100% going over so she can lose to Britt in the finals and Britt wins the belt at the ppv. Yuka sticks around for a while after I imagine before hopefully splitting time between TJP and AEW post-pandemic.

That seems the obvious booking to me (but i've been wrong many times :D).

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1