DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

56 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The readership of the WON is attracted to it partially because its head likes the same things they like

And that's what I was saying a couple pages ago. 

There is no Dave Meltzer figure on this board whose opinions are treated as facts. 

There would be some stark differences 

(Not that I am advocating for such awards)

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

There would be some stark differences 

The only stark difference there would be is if there is a better WAR trio than Maki Itoh, Lance Archer, and Bugsy McGraw.

Other than that it's going to be a lot of namecalling and trying to invalidate the votes of others. So basically, the response after every WON awards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There is no Dave Meltzer figure on this board whose opinions are treated as facts. 

I am, by people who don't watch anything anymore. Um, AEW is probably fine, good for Kingston. Carry on.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only stark difference there would be is if there is a better WAR trio than Maki Itoh, Lance Archer, and Bugsy McGraw.

Other than that it's going to be a lot of namecalling and trying to invalidate the votes of others. So basically, the response after every WON awards.

I think a perfect example for this year would be Roman Reigns. Yeah, maybe Moxley still wins Wrestler of the Year but I feel Roman would be very close because people here appreciate the character work and he has worked his ass off to produce a solid body of work during the same time frame. It's not held against him here that he appears on WWE branded television. 

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think a perfect example for this year would be Roman Reigns. Yeah, maybe Moxley still wins Wrestler of the Year but I feel Roman would be very close because people here appreciate the character work and he has worked his ass off to produce a solid body of work during the same time frame. It's not held against him here that he appears on WWE branded television. 

It would be because: 

1. There is a good segment here that doesn't watch WWE or watch WWE regularly

2. There is a good amount of AEW fans here which frankly pisses off some people here.

The AEW fans are going with Mox. The WWE fans will be divided up among people in all three brands. If there was one singular WWE brand or even just only one or two notable WWE wrestlers, you would have a case. There is more avid fandom among several different wrestlers in WWE whereas AEW only has 1-3 people you can really call stars above and beyond everyone else.

It would also be interesting for some stats head to look at the awards results from before/after people who subscribed online starting voting versus when it was print subscribers only. 

Speaking of being print subscriber, the shoddy state of the USPS has led to things like this happening. 

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And when it's all over, Dominion is going to sue the board for $1.3 billion. 

I feel like OSJ would be our Rudy Giuliani because no one voted for the Kentuckians and The Assassins over that bullshit we call tag team wrestling today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Reigns made the top ten in wrestler of the year, best interviews, box office draw, feud, most improved, U.S. MVP, and best gimmick. 

That's cause Dave Meltzer wanted it that way. So due to this, we should automatically DQ him in our hypothetical awards.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would be because: 

1. There is a good segment here that doesn't watch WWE or watch WWE regularly

2. There is a good amount of AEW fans here which frankly pisses off some people here.

The AEW fans are going with Mox. The WWE fans will be divided up among people in all three brands. If there was one singular WWE brand or even just only one or two notable WWE wrestlers, you would have a case. There is more avid fandom among several different wrestlers in WWE whereas AEW only has 1-3 people you can really call stars above and beyond everyone else.

Interesting hypotheticals. I wonder how we could verify.

Oh wait. It’s March 1 on Monday. (You know what that means.)

• Like 2

If we ever did a DVDVR Best of the Year poll it should be everyone writes in their own winners and maybe even their own categories and explains them. If any of them jive then we have a consensus, and there should be a definite consensus vote on "Most Outlandish Answer". 

I think that would actually be a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It would also be interesting for some stats head to look at the awards results from before/after people who subscribed online starting voting versus when it was print subscribers only. 

Speaking of being print subscriber, the shoddy state of the USPS has led to things like this happening. 

You live in Delaware? Eww. *hits unfollow*

But seriously, you're lucky you got both of them. I'm assuming that first one got lost in the snow somewhere and they found it.

It takes two weeks automatically for something to get here cross country under normal circumstances. The only reason I get stuff fast here is: (a) It's Amazon Prime or (b) it's from Walmart and I fucking live in Northwest Arkansas. 

I think the safest thing is to completely eliminate legitimate categories like Wrestler of the Year, Promotion of the Year, whatever. Stick to the board classics. Best Punches. Best WCW Worldwide match. Best Squashes. "The Cody Rhodes Award" for worst tattoo.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think the safest thing is to completely eliminate legitimate categories like Wrestler of the Year, Promotion of the Year, whatever. Stick to the board classics. Best Punches. Best WCW Worldwide match. Best Squashes. "The Cody Rhodes Award" for worst tattoo.

Probably because otherwise I think the first day would have:

"FUCK YOU MEAN I CAN'T VOTE FOR WILDCAT WILLIE FOR BEST ON INTERVIEWS?! THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY, YOU FUCKING FACISTS!"

And then, it furthers devolves from there.

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

"The Cody Rhodes Award" for worst tattoo.

Undertaker's Sara tattoo is a classic. But I think the age Bob Holly was when he made his generic bad choice really gives him a leg up. 

Anyone who nominates Bam Bam's head tattoo would need to be banned. Obviously.