DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

I was looking up Priest’s age and found this perfectly logical explanation of what being an Archer of Infamy entails: 

In WWE, "Damian Priest" was previously intended to be a similar but darker, more intense character than the characters that Martinez has represented previously in other promotions,[73] however, his character has gradually evolved and developed a more machismo, rockstar-like attitude that pursues more fame, recognition and success, and the character is further emphasized by portraying bars, parties and women frequently with him in backstage segments. Therefore, he is referred to as "The Archer of Infamy".

• Haha 2

I have no idea who Bad Bunny is and only heard of him due to some beer commercials I couldn't skip that featured Snoop Dog. I didn't even know he was a musician until they revealed he was playing his single at Royal Rumble. I kind of just skip his segments because I mostly don't care about celeb appearances. If he is bringing in interest then neat though I wish it was not on their worst show right now.

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Intentional or not - there is a lot of this going on

”WWE is too old! They need to attract younger viewers!”

WWE does something to attract younger viewers

“No not that way!”

8 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm just impressed that WWE got an act that isn't five or more years past its shelf life. I would have put money on Kid Rock or Fred Durst running around as 24/7 champ well before Bad Bunny. 

So there is a twitter thread someone made about fans complaining about WWE being behind the times. In it the person brings up celeb appearances and references WWE has made the past 10-15 years. To make a long story short WWE actually does hit on point time wise more often than fans realize. Its more the execution that tends to fall short. 

Edited by Eivion

28 minutes ago, Kev said:

I was looking up Priest’s age and found this perfectly logical explanation of what being an Archer of Infamy entails: 

“We’ve committed budget to trademarking “Archer of Infamy” and merchandising it as a brand so we’re going to keep using it and shoehorn that phrase into the live ad reads we call commentary as much as possible.”

• Like 2

Your monthly wrestling crossword has arrived!  I tried to switch things up a bit with this one. You'll see right away that it looks a bit different.  Also made an effort to make the clues easier - I feel like the last couple were ramping up in difficulty and that was turning some people off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

someone named Lil Uzi Vert, Doja Cat, and Pop Smoke are all examples of folks with multiple entries

Pop Smoke was an up and coming rapper who was tragically killed in a robbery.  Doja Cat is like a new Nicki Minaj.  Raps, sings.. wild colorful outfits. Lil Uzi Vert was a big soundcloud rapper who has built a large internet following over several years and then also did some songs with other famous rappers so now he's really up there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Doja Cat is like a new Nicki Minaj.  Raps, sings.. wild colorful outfits. 

I would say Doja Cat was more or less a meme rapper known for the "Mooo!" song/video, it blew up, and then she parlayed it into being a "serious" artist. Now she's everywhere (or on the verge of being everywhere) as opposed to being just internet famous from "Mooo!".

She also has a really nice, curvy body, which very much contributed to her fame as well. Plus, she's extremely weird and kinda known for *alleged* drug fueled IG lives. So there's that. Her raps are sorta like Nicki Minaj I guess, but that's basically the only thing they have in common.

But yeah, I guess Pop Smoke would be this generation's Big L.

honestly.. if the rosters were combined with Roman as champion and Sasha as women's champion with Bianca, Bryan, etc.  as the challengers and then Bad Bunny as the celebrity draw...  

WWE would seem dare i say fresh and  "Cool" to a younger audience ?   

i don't think Goldberg and them do anything for the company anymore. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, not to rekindle the "wrestling bubble/who is Pitbull" stuff, I think Bad Bunny may be the start of some sort of age gap for me and so that's more of an age bubble and a not digging his music thing.

Just looking at Spotify's top albums in the US right now, there's a whole bunch of people I've never heard of except for Juice Wrld (RIP), Ariana Grande, the Weeknd, Taylor Swift, and some others. Bad Bunny is in there, someone named Lil Uzi Vert, Doja Cat, and Pop Smoke are all examples of folks with multiple entries that I don't know of or haven't heard anything from.

And then I just go back to my comfort blanket of indie rock and pop, hip hop, and other bands I've been listening to for years like Silversun Pickups and Metric. 

At 37 I feel you on the age gap stuff, but I also feel this is another example of the fractured nature of entertainment currently. IN the 80's everyone knew who MJ, Madonna or Cyndi Lauper where due to everyone getting music through MTV. Even in the 90's basic cable was like 20 channels and you had what ever local radio stations. today due to streaming, youtube, ect you can find your exact niche. real easy for someone to be a household name in their genre but unkown outside of that. 

For what its worth I assumed Bad Bunny must be a big deal due to the act he appeared in the Superbowl Halftime show a couple of years ago

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would say Doja Cat was more or less a meme rapper known for the "Mooo!" song/video, it blew up, and then she parlayed it into being a "serious" artist. Now she's everywhere (or on the verge of being everywhere) as opposed to being just internet famous from "Mooo!".

She also has a really nice, curvy body, which very much contributed to her fame as well. Plus, she's extremely weird and kinda known for *alleged* drug fueled IG lives. So there's that. Her raps are sorta like Nicki Minaj I guess, but that's basically the only thing they have in common.

Doja's current music reminds me of the "Starships" and "Your Love"  era of Nicki.  Pop/Rap and voice changes. 

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She also inspired the greatest tweet of all time:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Your monthly wrestling crossword has arrived!  I tried to switch things up a bit with this one. You'll see right away that it looks a bit different.  Also made an effort to make the clues easier - I feel like the last couple were ramping up in difficulty and that was turning some people off.

1o minutes 20 seconds. Largely because I skipped 1 down at the start and then couldn't find the missing letter once I thought I'd finished it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

She also inspired the greatest tweet of all time:

The time stamp lets me know this is around the time she was "canceled" for being alt-right or whatever crazy shit she was doing.

She's been canceled like five or six times by now. She's even more famous than prior to being canceled. She's like the Arrested Development (the tv show of course) of female rappers. 

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Doja's current music reminds me of the "Starships" and "Your Love"  era of Nicki.  Pop/Rap and voice changes. 

I'm not a Nicki fan so I'll take your word for it. I think when Doja first came out, she was certainly veering into that lane.

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

At 37 I feel you on the age gap stuff, but I also feel this is another example of the fractured nature of entertainment currently. IN the 80's everyone knew who MJ, Madonna or Cyndi Lauper where due to everyone getting music through MTV. Even in the 90's basic cable was like 20 channels and you had what ever local radio stations. today due to streaming, youtube, ect you can find your exact niche. real easy for someone to be a household name in their genre but unkown outside of that. 

For what its worth I assumed Bad Bunny must be a big deal due to the act he appeared in the Superbowl Halftime show a couple of years ago

I felt that was Meltzer's point in his usual roundabout way of explaining shit.

To Craig's point as well, you can basically curate what you want to listen to and avoid everything else when it comes to music. When it comes to movies...I mean studios made sure the content/intellectual property is the star and not the person/people in the film. That's why Brad Pitt, Denzel, and Tom Cruise are bigger stars than folks who are closer to the ages of your average movie goer. 

I mean I know of Bad Bunny but simply because I know he trends on Twitter when he releases new music. Also, since I watch Undisputed on FS1 almost every weekday, I know LeBron was at one of his concerts (even onstage with him) on the same day the Lakers were playing in 2019 IIRC and LeBron was DNP due to illness. That said, I couldn't quantify how big he is with the Latin communities in the U.S. I would assume he is popular. Is he popular enough to make a difference in terms of ratings? Uh...probably? I know when Dave did the show with Garrett, he brought up Taylor Swift. For one, the way WWE conducts business wouldn't jive with how someone like Taylor Swift probably does business. Second, there is a large segment of her fanbase that would not simply watch WWE programming. That rabid fandom doesn't cross over into something else because people are only obsessed with that one person or that one group. Not necessarily the medium they appear on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

10:51. The Japanese stuff throws me off. 

I miss the Guest GM era of Raw to some degree.

Sure for the most part it was repetitive segments where women on the roster were made to act like prostitutes at the sight of some guy not famous enough to promote his movie on SNL, who would then flub his very basic lines about promoting whatever PPV it was. 

But at the very core of it, it was a new face on the show each week, and occasionally one of their guys got shine from or at the expense of someone more famous than them.

The Bob Barker episode was fantastic.

Actually, yeah, the rest were fairly terrible in execution. the Piven one had that great crossbody to the floor and everything else was a trainwreck of Summerfest proportions. 

The Mayweather one was good. As was Tyson. Dusty and Ventura furthered the angles but weren't really a celebrity per se. The Roethlisberger one made my skin crawl. The Al Sharpton one was awful. I feel like the Ozzy one had its moments. The Hugh Jackman one was awesome. Muppets was OK. 

Oh fuck, there was a Jared the Subway Guy one?

On 2/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, twiztor said:

so i'm almost finished with my complete ECW watch/rewatch (currently in April 2000).  been a fun trip so far. 

my question is, for the guys who don't end up in WWF, are there any feuds that carry over to other feds? i know XPW and CZW popped up around this time, but never watched any of either one. Anything essential featuring ECW talent?

i guess my REAL question is, what do i watch next?

2003-2004 TNA is filled with former ECW talents, there's revisiting with feuds from Raven/Sandman, Lynn/Credible, Raven/Douglas, etc., a brief ECW stable with New Jack, Saturn, Sandman, and Credible. Plus the first ever Raven/Sabu match built on the story that they promised the Sheik they would never wrestle each other. Then 2005 is when Rhino & The Dudleyz came in. Much later on in 2010 is when TNA did their version of One Night Stand which is a pretty fun show and led to another ECW stable for a little while.

As mentioned XPW in 2000-2003 had a lot of ECW talents as well, not as much in CZW I don't think. There's also the original first year or two of MLW (2002-2004) if those are available with a lot of ECW guys as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What was the follow up after Sheamus put Mark Cuban through a table? Or in a similar vein, after KO power bombed Machine Gun Kelly?

God my memory sucks

MGK went on to feud with Eminem and was then verbally power bombed through a table by Em?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

2003-2004 TNA is filled with former ECW talents, there's revisiting with feuds from Raven/Sandman, Lynn/Credible, Raven/Douglas, etc., a brief ECW stable with New Jack, Saturn, Sandman, and Credible. Plus the first ever Raven/Sabu match built on the story that they promised the Sheik they would never wrestle each other. Then 2005 is when Rhino & The Dudleyz came in. Much later on in 2010 is when TNA did their version of One Night Stand which is a pretty fun show and led to another ECW stable for a little while.

As mentioned XPW in 2000-2003 had a lot of ECW talents as well, not as much in CZW I don't think. There's also the original first year or two of MLW (2002-2004) if those are available with a lot of ECW guys as well. 

mucho gracias!

i was sure my request got buried under the ton of conversation since.  MLW is #1 on my list, as i don't know anything about it. very much looking forward to it.

will probably browse some XPW results and catch what seems interesting. i'm torn on watching TNA, but Raven/Sabu sounds mighty fun....

• Like 2