DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

It helps that Bad Bunny is actually popular and not a has been like 99% of WWE celebrity segments have been the last few decades. Normally they have to pick between celebrities who don't want to be there or a less popular celebrity who does. They got both.

Plus, Wrestlemania usually has some awful celebrity segments/matches. I usually hate the celebrity appearances because WWE does it where the wrestlers get embarrassed and the celebrity goes to the next stop on their publicity tour. I expect it's Priest getting the pinfall here and not Bad Bunny.

Flo Rida (ugh, that stupid fucking name) had another hit at the time, which was the WM song that year, and was popular before that too. He then got used on TV and looked really embarrassing.

I've only heard Bad Bunny discussed on podcasts and haven't heard his music, but I understand he's very popular, he seems to give a shit about wrestling, and from clips I've seen, he doesn't look embarrassing.

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That didn't address the point of Federline being good in his role. I seem to recall people here thinking he could be a good heel manager. 

I edited that post later, but I also think he was really good in the stuff he did.

I guess the big difference is Bad Bunny has a large fanbase that probably has quite a few devoted fans that will watch something just because he's on it.  I don't think Federline had those kinds of fans.

Also, not to rekindle the "wrestling bubble/who is Pitbull" stuff, I think Bad Bunny may be the start of some sort of age gap for me and so that's more of an age bubble and a not digging his music thing.

Just looking at Spotify's top albums in the US right now, there's a whole bunch of people I've never heard of except for Juice Wrld (RIP), Ariana Grande, the Weeknd, Taylor Swift, and some others. Bad Bunny is in there, someone named Lil Uzi Vert, Doja Cat, and Pop Smoke are all examples of folks with multiple entries that I don't know of or haven't heard anything from.

And then I just go back to my comfort blanket of indie rock and pop, hip hop, and other bands I've been listening to for years like Silversun Pickups and Metric. 

• Like 1

Bad Bunny is not meant for fans like us. He's meant for the kind of people that were drawn into pro wrestling by Cyndi Lauper and Mr T. I'm super critical of what WWE has become, but I think that working with Bad Bunny while he's one of the most streamed artist in the world is a great move. It helps that he's a fan and seems to really enjoy being involved.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Bad Bunny is not meant for fans like us. He's meant for the kind of people that were drawn into pro wrestling by Cyndi Lauper and Mr T. I'm super critical of what WWE has become, but I think that working with Bad Bunny while he's one of the most streamed artist in the world is a great move. It helps that he's a fan and seems to really enjoy being involved.

Honestly, the real issue with Bad Bunny is that it will draw in fans to an ultra shitty, just downright terrible product, which in turn hurts every company. Casuals have already looked at AEW and thought it was knock off WWE because to most people WWE IS wrestling and everyone else is just copying. So it hurts AEW, Impact, and indies that will need to start getting back on their feet (hopefully) later this year.

If you're bringing in Bad Bunny's audience, you need the product to be stellar. SmackDown is the better of the two brands at the moment, but even SmackDown isn't that great.

And then the other problem is that I think people, even if they skew younger, will wonder where Steve Austin, the Rock, and John Cena are and aside from Roman, there's no one close to that level.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

#1 or #2? 

You confusing ECW Pitbulls with WWE Pitbull who won the Royal Rumble in 2014 and then tapped to Daniel Bryan in that year's Mania main event. He looked odd with the beard though. 

Edited by ReiseReise

Intentional or not - there is a lot of this going on

”WWE is too old! They need to attract younger viewers!”

WWE does something to attract younger viewers

“No not that way!”

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t think it can hurt them in any way. Worst case scenario is some non-fans tune in, don’t like what they see and don’t tune in again. Best case, a significant number do stick around.

I don’t watch regularly so I’m not gonna comment on the quality of the shows, but I’m pretty confident in saying that there’s no real hot acts that a new young adult/teen audience would latch onto. If you have lapsed fans tuning in then there’s gonna be a lot of the same faces they saw 5-10 years ago. Fair play trying to give some rub to Priest, but again he’s not someone I see younger fans connecting with, and the archer of infamy shit (assuming they’re still doing that) verges on embarrassing.

I think the likely outcome is that it has no real impact, but that’s nothing to do with how they use Bad Bunny (and I still think they may as well try), it just reflects the underlying issues in the product. Plus they’ll get some merch sales.

• Like 4

I'm just impressed that WWE got an act that isn't five or more years past its shelf life. I would have put money on Kid Rock or Fred Durst running around as 24/7 champ well before Bad Bunny. 

• Like 3

I was looking up Priest’s age and found this perfectly logical explanation of what being an Archer of Infamy entails: 

In WWE, "Damian Priest" was previously intended to be a similar but darker, more intense character than the characters that Martinez has represented previously in other promotions,[73] however, his character has gradually evolved and developed a more machismo, rockstar-like attitude that pursues more fame, recognition and success, and the character is further emphasized by portraying bars, parties and women frequently with him in backstage segments. Therefore, he is referred to as "The Archer of Infamy".

• Haha 2

I have no idea who Bad Bunny is and only heard of him due to some beer commercials I couldn't skip that featured Snoop Dog. I didn't even know he was a musician until they revealed he was playing his single at Royal Rumble. I kind of just skip his segments because I mostly don't care about celeb appearances. If he is bringing in interest then neat though I wish it was not on their worst show right now.

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Intentional or not - there is a lot of this going on

”WWE is too old! They need to attract younger viewers!”

WWE does something to attract younger viewers

“No not that way!”

8 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm just impressed that WWE got an act that isn't five or more years past its shelf life. I would have put money on Kid Rock or Fred Durst running around as 24/7 champ well before Bad Bunny. 

So there is a twitter thread someone made about fans complaining about WWE being behind the times. In it the person brings up celeb appearances and references WWE has made the past 10-15 years. To make a long story short WWE actually does hit on point time wise more often than fans realize. Its more the execution that tends to fall short. 

Edited by Eivion

28 minutes ago, Kev said:

I was looking up Priest’s age and found this perfectly logical explanation of what being an Archer of Infamy entails: 

“We’ve committed budget to trademarking “Archer of Infamy” and merchandising it as a brand so we’re going to keep using it and shoehorn that phrase into the live ad reads we call commentary as much as possible.”

• Like 2

Your monthly wrestling crossword has arrived!  I tried to switch things up a bit with this one. You'll see right away that it looks a bit different.  Also made an effort to make the clues easier - I feel like the last couple were ramping up in difficulty and that was turning some people off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

someone named Lil Uzi Vert, Doja Cat, and Pop Smoke are all examples of folks with multiple entries

Pop Smoke was an up and coming rapper who was tragically killed in a robbery.  Doja Cat is like a new Nicki Minaj.  Raps, sings.. wild colorful outfits. Lil Uzi Vert was a big soundcloud rapper who has built a large internet following over several years and then also did some songs with other famous rappers so now he's really up there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Doja Cat is like a new Nicki Minaj.  Raps, sings.. wild colorful outfits. 

I would say Doja Cat was more or less a meme rapper known for the "Mooo!" song/video, it blew up, and then she parlayed it into being a "serious" artist. Now she's everywhere (or on the verge of being everywhere) as opposed to being just internet famous from "Mooo!".

She also has a really nice, curvy body, which very much contributed to her fame as well. Plus, she's extremely weird and kinda known for *alleged* drug fueled IG lives. So there's that. Her raps are sorta like Nicki Minaj I guess, but that's basically the only thing they have in common.

But yeah, I guess Pop Smoke would be this generation's Big L.

honestly.. if the rosters were combined with Roman as champion and Sasha as women's champion with Bianca, Bryan, etc.  as the challengers and then Bad Bunny as the celebrity draw...  

WWE would seem dare i say fresh and  "Cool" to a younger audience ?   

i don't think Goldberg and them do anything for the company anymore. 

• Like 2