DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

I've only seen Miz on RAW or PPV live, I'm pretty sure. 

The guy who stood out to me as not fitting into the mold when I saw him live was at the last RAW I attended live, the one where Bryan initially retired, was Kevin Owens, who was actually doing crowd work during his match! It felt so novel. 

Terry Funk had a quote on the commentary of Beyond the Mat where he said guys like Jake and Raven were the smartest because they could get over while doing nothing dangerous. There's got to be a short list of workers like that. 

Jake 

Raven (if you really want to put him on it)

Lawler (even though I've seen him take a ten foot bump horizontally to the floor)

Superstar Graham

I dunno, who else?

EDIT: Well Graham's steroid abuse was more dangerous than any bump. And I didn't put anyone from Mexico on there because the list would expand exponentially.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Pivoting slightly on Miz house show matches, it's still wild that they only ever ran heel Bryan vs face Miz at a couple house shows. That's something I'd have wanted to see as a PPV feud during Bryan's last title reign. With Miz face pushes historically struggling to solicit buy-in from fans, I'd have loved to see how much a miracle worker like Bryan could get out of that alignment. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Terry Funk had a quote on the commentary of Beyond the Mat where he said guys like Jake and Raven were the smartest because they could get over while doing nothing dangerous. There's got to be a short list of workers like that. 

I'd add Jim Breaks to that list.

Nash got over while taking limited bumps. He made a lot of money doing that. Tore up his knees, to be fair, but yeah.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I'd add Jim Breaks to that list.

It scares me that Breaks killed a woman quite possibly because of dementia considering the very safe style that he worked. If said dementia came on partially or mostly because of working that style, my God, no one should do pro wrestling ever. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

He's going to feud with Miz and Morrison and there'll be a bunch of Miz TV segments and you'll shut up and like it!

Maybe follow that up with a Corbin match. 

You say these things like they’re bad. Christian v. Corbin could be great.

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

Wondering: has anyone every gotten hurt in a match vs Miz, save for him completely failing to catch the guy on a dive?

I was surprised they let Miz be one of the two guys to catch Bad Bunny.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

No one let me start a project where I review a bunch of Miz house show matches.

Do it.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It scares me that Breaks killed a woman quite possibly because of dementia considering the very safe style that he worked. If said dementia came on partially or mostly because of working that style, my God, no one should do pro wrestling ever. 

Yes, such a tragedy, poor woman. 

Flair was never a big bumper but he did always have the throw off the top. Hogan was super safe except for dropping on his tailbone every match, which considerably shortened him. These things take their toll. I think though he bled a lot or went through a table, took a chairshot, the biggest bump Raven did was drop on his back for the DDT, same for Jake. Jerry only used the fist drop, it was other people that injured him. 

I know it was a slightly earlier era, but would a guy like Dory Funk Jr. count here? I haven't seen nearly as much of him as others here, but he was very much a mat-worker who would work holds and not take many big bumps or bumps at all from what I've seen. I don't know, maybe he did some crazy shit in tag matches in Japan or something that I don't know about, but he did come to mind. 

• Like 2

Well, he was over enough to be NWA World Champ, so despite any complaints to the contrary about how boring he worked, he WAS over. He should go on. The most he did in Japan was bleed a lot. 

Shit, you could put the Sheik right at the top. Come in, pray, stab somebody, throw fire, get paid, leave. Abby did the elbow drop so even he worked more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jake 

Raven (if you really want to put him on it)

Lawler (even though I've seen him take a ten foot bump horizontally to the floor)

Superstar Graham

I dunno, who else?

EDIT: Well Graham's steroid abuse was more dangerous than any bump. And I didn't put anyone from Mexico on there because the list would expand exponentially.

The first two who came to my mind:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Pluto now has a pro wrestling channel on 732. Currently they're showing some Defy, apparently the Super 8XGP from 2019.

I saw that earlier and looks like a pretty decent start to the channel.  First thing I saw was Contra Unit vs. LA Park and Hijo from Defy and it was delightful.

Rey Mysterio revealed that he and Dominick both had COVID in Decemeber

And it could have been way worse for the WWE as Rey said he learned that his housekeeper tested positive as he was headed to the Thunderdome and he decided to not go in even though he and his wife had both tested negative. The next day he and his wife both had symptoms (Dominick got it a couple days later)

53 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

UuEElLP.gif

I tried it out of my long-dormant love for the Dew and, yeah, it's every worse than you think.

E: So this isn't a terrible top of the page: I watched Chris Jericho vs Gedo from HH97 last night and I had forgotten how fun it was.  They never quite click into a groove but they do stiff the shit out of each other and Gedo does a couple of really nice powerslams.

Edited by Zimbra