DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

8 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I mean, you can buy used schoolgirls' panties from vending machines in Japan. So probably not.

That's a slight exaggeration. They're not really used and those machines are like in super seedy weird areas based on some quick googling. The only way to know for sure is to get @El Gran Gordi's views on it!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I mean, you can buy used schoolgirls' panties from vending machines in Japan. So probably not.

Anyway, I've seen my fair share of Hart Foundation matches and rank a few of them among my favorite matches of all time, and I consider the idea that Neidhart contributed at least much to the team as Bret to be thoroughly worthy of derision. More often than not, he was either actively detracting from matches or clearly being hidden so he wouldn't drag things down too much.

Like I said: 80%

Is there a wrestling promotion that hasn't had scummy characters in it? 

ECW maybe?  No, that doesn't sound right.

WCW?  Well, I mean, they had Hulk Hogan, Chris Benoit, Tank Abbot, and enough drug addicts and steroid abusers to fill a football stadium

WWF?  Looks sideways at Vince and Jimmy Snuka  and cackles

Oh, well.  I guess there's always World Class.  The Von Erichs seem like a pretty wholesome bunch with good values.  Nothing odd going on in that household.

---

Um, Toryumon?  Oh, wait, CIMA named a move after his favorite steroid.  AAA?  Um, we don't want to get into that.  How about Ring of Glory?  They had some sort of religious connection.  

All Japan?  I mean they had Baba and Jumbo and...... well, a lot of yakuza connections, supposedly.

I guess we could try Puerto Rico.  Anyone hear of any sketchy characters in WWC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I do not think Ryan or Starr should ever return. They are predators.

That said, for Scurll, I would need to see a few things. I need to see genuine remorse and understanding. Again, so far, all he has said publicly is words justifying and minimalizing what happened. That does no one any good and normalizes it. If he is the same person as he was before the Speaking Out movement then I don't want to see him. If he has actually attempted to make amends and not just tried to wait it out, I am open to him returning. I feel if someone actually tries and genuinely makes an effort then I am OK.

What bugs me is when it's decided that time alone heals all wounds. If he's still the same person, I'm out. It sounds like it's just NJPW not caring so far. 

I wonder if they run this by the talent first because it's not like wrestling is this single individual thing. The person he's working with likely knows what's up. If I have a problem working with you, you and the company I'm working for would know it.

And I think that's where New Japan (at least the US side) would show their true colors. If they end up shunning someone who had a problem with this, then that would adversely affect their reputation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Is there a wrestling promotion that hasn't had scummy characters in it? 

ECW maybe?  No, that doesn't sound right.

WCW?  Well, I mean, they had Hulk Hogan, Chris Benoit, Tank Abbot, and enough drug addicts and steroid abusers to fill a football stadium

WWF?  Looks sideways at Vince and Jimmy Snuka  and cackles

Oh, well.  I guess there's always World Class.  The Von Erichs seem like a pretty wholesome bunch with good values.  Nothing odd going on in that household.

---

Um, Toryumon?  Oh, wait, CIMA named a move after his favorite steroid.  AAA?  Um, we don't want to get into that.  How about Ring of Glory?  They had some sort of religious connection.  

All Japan?  I mean they had Baba and Jumbo and...... well, a lot of yakuza connections, supposedly.

I guess we could try Puerto Rico.  Anyone hear of any sketchy characters in WWC?

What's your point?  If someone doesn't want to financially support a promotion for whatever their reason, that's their prerogative.  

Also, I personally wouldn't equate steroid users with rapists, murders and racists.

• Like 3

That brings up a good asterisk about Japan only caring about drug scandals -- it depends on the drugs. 

I've never even heard of Ring of Glory, what's up there? This also brought to mind how "clean" Ring of Honor is and my mind immediately went to Austin Aries being a shithead. Currently they might have the least-sleazy fed in wrestling history, at least as far as we know (and are making an exception for whatever the Briscoes probably say behind closed doors). 

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That brings up a good asterisk about Japan only caring about drug scandals -- it depends on the drugs. 

I've never even heard of Ring of Glory, what's up there? This also brought to mind how "clean" Ring of Honor is and my mind immediately went to Austin Aries being a shithead. Currently they might have the least-sleazy fed in wrestling history, at least as far as we know (and are making an exception for whatever the Briscoes probably say behind closed doors). 

Yes, clean Ring of Honor.  We should probably ask Taylor Hendrix about how clean it was back there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am skipping a few pages to make this post because I haven't read the thread in a week or so but I will share my anecdotal evidence of Bad Bunny's popularity: I am 33. Like a lot of us on here, I feel out of touch sometimes. I do try to keep up on music. I'm also a kitchen worker. There are some oldtimers in the biz but there's also always an influx of kids (I say kid to mean anyone from like 16-25). Also, a lot of minorities in my area. Bad Bunny plays in many kitchens and servers loveit. The Puerto Rican cooks love it (partially because he gets the girls to dance.) He's a star. The girls asked if he's a wrestler now. If WWE really wanted to get current and find stars who want to be there, the Detroit and Bay Area rap scenes would be good places to start. Sada Baby raps about his bricks being big and white like Brock. He wears SCSA shirts. YN Jay, the Coochie Man, just put a song out called "Monday Night Raw" and he's super popular on YouTube with younger kids. Lil Yachty is an Atlanta guy but has latched onto the Detroit guys. Atlanta guys always namedrop wrestlers (Migos' "Ric Flair Drip"). It's easy. They just are so out of touch.

EDIT: To be fair (even though no one associated with the scene will ever read this) I should be saying "Detroit/Flint rappers" as many of these dudes are not from The D. I also should mention that this fantasy is inspired by a selfish desire to see the anarchy that could be Sada and BFB Da Packman (A Flint-to-Houston mailman turned rapper) on national television. And also to somehow see ShittyBoyz Baby Tron get more hype. Obviously, none of this would ever happen. These guys are punchline rappers who clearly are trying to make each other laugh as their first goal, which means a lot of things they say are DEPLORABLE and would cause TV execs to promptly keel over. Not to mention the violence that follows a lot of the current rap scene (I know rap and violence always have gone hand-in-hand but to me it seems worse now than ever), owing to a lot of these dudes continuing to live the street life even as they are blowing up. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 2

God, what if instead of doing El Matador, Vince decided he needed to do stuff with Miami Sound Machine?

Could you imagine Razor coming out to "Bad Boy"? They would have never went down in popularity.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 10:05 PM, twiztor said:

mucho gracias!

i was sure my request got buried under the ton of conversation since.  MLW is #1 on my list, as i don't know anything about it. very much looking forward to it.

will probably browse some XPW results and catch what seems interesting. i'm torn on watching TNA, but Raven/Sabu sounds mighty fun....

MLW had a fun L.A. Park/Sabu feud. I can't speak to how well it holds up but those two were just being nuts and beating the shit out of each other plus Fonzie was being his usual Fonzie-self.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW - in one of those things the WWE will never acknowledge technically true

Due to the pandemic and how it basically shut down NXT UK for so long

Gallus has the longest Tag Title reign (of any tag title) in company history

WALTER is the longest reigning NXT UK champ ever

And there was something with Kay Lee Ray too - maybe it was longest women's champ in NXT (both versions)

On 2/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was listening to an old B&V show from like 2015 not too long ago. Whenever it was, they were talking that thing going on and said no sell. It's amazing that was when MGK was one of the hottest acts around. I know he's still around but it feels like the bloom is off that rose. Then I look at his wiki:

Holy shit...what happened to rock? Sidenote: AC/DC had a number 1 album last year. Have we traveled back to the late 1970s and I missed it? 

Anyway, re: Vince

That's a case of both things being true. Also, it doesn't mean that it's Vince himself who made that push. It isn't 25 years ago where Vince's inner circle was just a half dozen or so people that he trusted. 

It comes down to how streams count for sales. If you're an act that can still sell cds (ie: a legacy act or Adele/Taylor Swift) it's not hard to combine any amount of disc sales with high streams. Plus, the AC/DC album is your basic AC/DC album which means it rocks and gives you exactly what you expect. The MGK album sounds like a 2000s mainstream pop-punk album (more blink 182 style than a Queers pop-punk style) which is super popular with both people in the 28-33 age range for nostalgia and with teens as a nostalgia for something we never experienced type deal.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:
This. A fucking disgrace. Lance Storm's a good 'un.

Considering the flaccid and reluctant apology for the treatment of war hero Alan Turing, it's no more than I expect. Anyhoo, moving away from the fraught topic of UK politics...

Steiner's son's shoot name is pretty much one of those substitute Strowman names that were all the rage in these parts awhile back. He looks like a unit though.

To the McGillicutty quip, do they have many other 2nd gen guys at the PC at the moment? It's been long enough in WWE years to rehash Legacy, right? AEW probably has them beat anyway, between Hook, Anderson Jr and the Gunns. Though I'm sure there's one of the Anoa'i clan knocking around to beef out the group a la Manu.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@RazorbladeKiss87That kind of goes with my theory that there was a ton of money left on the table not attempting to make those Def Jam games into a real thing. Even if you couldn't find any trainable rappers, they could've at least made em corner men

Urban Wrestling Federation tried it but it wasn't good. FilmRise owns the rights thanks to Steve Karrel of ECW and the shows are constantly on the ppv channels and also Youtube. They also ran the sleazy women's ppvs that got heat with a few of the bigger females in the indie scene last year (or 2019, can't remember which) like LuFisto. Uncle Murda was involved as was Gunplay. It came off more like a white guy writing a hip-hop show. I would like to see this though. The Griselda guys are also big wrestling fans and they are more traditional rap than the Detroit/Flint scene is (as a lot of the MI guys don't rap on beat or in the traditional pockets you'd associate with hip-hop.) It might come off as those old rap crew movies used to though.

56 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@RazorbladeKiss87That kind of goes with my theory that there was a ton of money left on the table not attempting to make those Def Jam games into a real thing. Even if you couldn't find any trainable rappers, they could've at least made em corner men

With as big a Wrestling fans as they were I'm shocked Redman, Method Man, or Busta Rhymes never ended up on WWF tv in the late 90s, early 00s. Especially since Red and Meth were on a WWf album.

• Like 2