DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

4 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/marty-scurll-at-47957576

So Scurll was backstage at NJPW Strong. That's a big no from me. I don't want to see him anywhere near a ring. I suspect NJPW would take him back though.

Wrestling will never get better.

I wish I never took my kid to those Chikara shows.

53 minutes ago, nate said:

Calling it now: "Ron Steiner."

Heck, just go with "Frankie Steiner" and take that unused Unfrozen Nazi Wrestler gimmick and tweak it up properly: Ted Turner found a third  Steiner brother and as part of a master longterm Monday Night War Masterplan, put him in cryogenic suspension. When scouting locations for this WWE Warehouse Props Roadshow (tie-in synergy!), Malcolm Bivens finds Frankie in a warehouse in Atlanta GA. He emerges, and Bivens, to keep FS under thrall, keeps him thinking it's 1989. His singlet has geometric patterns of orange and acid green on it, he wears Roos, all his promos are shouty, and he keeps asking for Sting and Lex Luger and - his brothers. Everything is EXTREME (and rad). he can work all the vets!

start printing my money, Mr. McMahon,

RAF

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

@DreamBroken. It was. Legit surprise too.

As much as I don't like that Shane gets to take someone else's spot on a major card that he gets the work. His matches have been very enjoyable. Honestly he's been better than these other Legends. If I had a choice I'd rather have him on a WrestleMania card than HHH or Taker taking up a spot.  I  could do with out any of these guys like Goldberg, HHH, Taker or Shane on these bigger cards but it pretty much a given 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/marty-scurll-at-47957576

So Scurll was backstage at NJPW Strong. That's a big no from me. I don't want to see him anywhere near a ring. I suspect NJPW would take him back though.

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2021/2/24/22300001/marty-scurrl-return-new-japan-speakingout

If true, I hope it blows up in their face. F the boys club mentality.

Neither do I. At all. Yuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Heck, just go with "Frankie Steiner" and take that unused Unfrozen Nazi Wrestler gimmick and tweak it up properly: Ted Turner found a third  Steiner brother and as part of a master longterm Monday Night War Masterplan, put him in cryogenic suspension. When scouting locations for this WWE Warehouse Props Roadshow (tie-in synergy!), Malcolm Bivens finds Frankie in a warehouse in Atlanta GA. He emerges, and Bivens, to keep FS under thrall, keeps him thinking it's 1989.

Everything unravels when he sees how Missy Hyatt has aged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know as much as I want to see Mox vs Kenta I don't feel bad now cancelling NJPW World for a bit.  I hope they change course but if they bring back Scurll along with Owens being there then I may need to reconsider things.  It also won't look that good for AEW if they're associated with a group that has him there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You know as much as I want to see Mox vs Kenta I don't feel bad now cancelling NJPW World for a bit.  I hope they change course but if they bring back Scurll along with Owens being there then I may need to reconsider things.  It also won't look that good for AEW if they're associated with a group that has him there.

Yeah, it sucks. Best way to protest is with your wallet. Since Speaking Out movement, there's a number of wrestlers I have nothing to do with any more. Scrull is one as is Riddle and especially the Velveteen Dream.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

NJPW and, well, Japan in general, seems to not care about any scandals except those involving drugs so not surprised Scurll is back in the fold and once travel is opened up he'll get pushed over there. 

Realistically, though, a lot of the Speaking Out guys are going to find themselves back in work inevitably if they continue on with their career, with the exception of Joey Ryan and maybe David Starr who seemed to be the most egregious cases. 

Edit to add further thoughts: it's pretty clear that the WWE won't shy away from signing people with pasts, especially in these cases that aren't cut and dry (like the Riddle stuff). AEW is definitely more hyper-aware of Twitter and social media reaction but a time will come where someone of value who is problematic will be too good to pass up. Hell, I mean, Jericho has engendered a ton of bad will these last few months due to his personal life but they'd be foolish to pull him off TV. 

Edited by Hagan

I don't disagree with you and certainly everyone has the right to make their judgment on issues and make a moral stand on what they will and won't support. 

My favorite artist of all time is Ryan Adams and when he got called out in a NYT profile for his sexual manipulation I didn't listen to his music for a long time. Then slowly got back into it and then when he released a new album it was in my rotation. That said, he's still an asshole. It helped that no legal charges got filed against him so I, personally, could contextualize that while being a toxic person he wasn't a criminal. 

I guess my point is that it just has to be hard to constantly weigh whether someone is a good person or not when evaluating whether you'll support an artistic work. 

Of course, we all have different lines. 

I guess my question is: for someone like Scurll - what would it be necessary for him to do to be allowed to resume his career without personally turning off you guys who do draw that line in the sand? Would an apology suffice? Therapy? The woman in question giving her blessing? Is it just an arbitrary amount of time that needs to pass? 

Or is it just a blanket, permanent write off?

Here's what's weird - I don't/can't watch Benoit matches for obvious reasons but don't have that barrier when Snuka shows up on my screen. It's funny how we justify things. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 5

I couldn't care less if Scurll works for NJPW. However, if someone like Joey Ryan were to start working for NJPW, then I would care. Joey tried doing the bullshit "I found Christ!" thing while also suing the shit out of a bunch of folks. He's essentially looking to exact revenge against the people he hurt.

• Like 5

I do not think Ryan or Starr should ever return. They are predators.

That said, for Scurll, I would need to see a few things. I need to see genuine remorse and understanding. Again, so far, all he has said publicly is words justifying and minimalizing what happened. That does no one any good and normalizes it. If he is the same person as he was before the Speaking Out movement then I don't want to see him. If he has actually attempted to make amends and not just tried to wait it out, I am open to him returning. I feel if someone actually tries and genuinely makes an effort then I am OK.

What bugs me is when it's decided that time alone heals all wounds. If he's still the same person, I'm out. It sounds like it's just NJPW not caring so far. 

Edited by Spontaneous
Spelling
  • Like 4

Also, and this needs to be said, the age of consent in Japan is 13 years old. I may be speaking out of my understanding of Japanese culture but would they have the same moral opprobrium towards Scurll over the age issue as we do in the United States? 

Note: I'm not getting into issues of consent/non-consent which are irrelevant to age but they may look at the Scurll allegation and see it as an unfortunate scandal but nothing disqualifying. 

Ignoring the remark about a trainer who doesn't work there anymore and is irrelevant to this conversation, I think there is the added layer to the allegations against Scrull, that being the victim was a teenage and intoxicated trainee of his. 

Also, NJPW wants a foothold in the USA. I imagine that would be the fanbase that is upset by this. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Also, and this needs to be said, the age of consent in Japan is 13 years old. I may be speaking out of my understanding of Japanese culture but would they have the same moral opprobrium towards Scurll over the age issue as we do in the United States? 

Note: I'm not getting into issues of consent/non-consent which are irrelevant to age but they may look at the Scurll allegation and see it as an unfortunate scandal but nothing disqualifying.

I mean, you can buy used schoolgirls' panties from vending machines in Japan. So probably not.

Anyway, I've seen my fair share of Hart Foundation matches and rank a few of them among my favorite matches of all time, and I consider the idea that Neidhart contributed at least much to the team as Bret to be thoroughly worthy of derision. More often than not, he was either actively detracting from matches or clearly being hidden so he wouldn't drag things down too much.