DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

Rusev's streak ending wasn't done well at all. Needed a lot more wink and nod to the Umaga match, instead, fluke AA and done wasn't great.

I liked Joe losing to Angle. I think that was the best use of what was available to them and striking while the iron was hot.

Not sure if HTM and the Warrior count but it should. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Am I going completely senile, or was there once a VHS compilation of NJPW matches with dubbed over commentary by Gordon Solie?

I am pretty sure Solie also did commentary for the English version of Eurosport when they aired New Japan in approx. 93-95 (though the stuff they aired was older, I don't know exactly how old, but Benoit was still wearing his mask; the German version had Otto Wanz doing commentary at one point and later on his son Michael by the way).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I am pretty sure Solie also did commentary for the English version of Eurosport when they aired New Japan in approx. 93-95 

Correct.  Solie did commentary for Ring Warriors, which aired on Eurosport, as well as networks in Asia and South Africa (and probably other markets).  New Japan wasn't directly involved with Ring Warriors, but provided footage through their relationship with Hiro Matsuda (Matsuda and Howard Brody were business partners at the time and owned the company producing Ring Warriors).  Basically, New Japan provided footage that showcased American and European wrestlers against NJ wrestlers.  Supposedly, the end game was to eventually create an Americanized version of NJPW, but nothing came of it after Matsuda passed away.

The VHS tapes might have been part of Ring Warriors or might not.  Don't remember and I don't own any of the  tapes anymore.  There was at least a couple more.  I owned a Bam Bam Bigelow compilation put out by the same group.

• Like 1

in former Pro Wrestler News

Paul Lee, the former Ringgold mayoral candidate and professional wrestler, was named in a report from the Georgia Secretary of State's Office alleging Lee tried to buy votes during the 2019 campaign by offering a free meal to any voter if he won the election.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said in a news release Thursday that the election board sent a batch of alleged "voting violations" to prosecutors after hearing what investigators had discovered across the state.

"We will continue to root out voting fraud and make sure anyone guilty of it faces prosecution," Raffensperger said in the release. "Fortunately, these individual cases aren't large enough to change the outcome of a statewide election. Their prosecution is an example to others who may contemplate skirting the rules that protect election integrity in Georgia."

The Georgia Election Board met Wednesday and heard findings from 63 different cases of alleged voter fraud and violations. The board voted to refer 24 cases to the state attorney general for prosecution. The cases occurred between 2017 and 2020.

During the campaign in October 2019, Lee posted on his Facebook page encouraging people to vote in the upcoming election. He did not specify that they should vote for him in this particular post.

"SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL VOTERS IN CITY OF RINGGOLD," he posted. "I want ALL voters to come out in this election and Vote for whoever they want, we have over 3,800 citizens on the city and only a small amount comes out and vote, BUT if I'm elected Mayor of Ringgold save your 'I Voted' stickers and I will go ahead and boost business with local downtown restaurants, as I will Pick up to 2 restaurants and buy everyone who voted and have their decal a FREE meal, this shows my compassion for our downtown businesses and Thankfulness for all who have supported me. Thank you and 'Let's Make Ringgold RIGHT.'"

for the sake of reference, Paul Lee finished in last place of 3 candidates with 9% (55 votes)

He would have won more votes if he said voters could get a free meal with Ric Flair if Paul Lee was elected.

Edited by Cobra Commander

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Does relationship status ever actually deter internet creeps? 

Probably just the opposite.

And you'd think "Bo Dallas is dating an attractive woman" would give internet creeps hope.

Who is Paul Lee? At first I thought it was Brian Lee, except I conflated him with Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, because there were too many Brians in that time period.

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Correct.  Solie did commentary for Ring Warriors, which aired on Eurosport, as well as networks in Asia and South Africa (and probably other markets).  New Japan wasn't directly involved with Ring Warriors, but provided footage through their relationship with Hiro Matsuda (Matsuda and Howard Brody were business partners at the time and owned the company producing Ring Warriors).  Basically, New Japan provided footage that showcased American and European wrestlers against NJ wrestlers.  Supposedly, the end game was to eventually create an Americanized version of NJPW, but nothing came of it after Matsuda passed away.

The VHS tapes might have been part of Ring Warriors or might not.  Don't remember and I don't own any of the  tapes anymore.  There was at least a couple more.  I owned a Bam Bam Bigelow compilation put out by the same group.

Man, Ring Warriors was really dope back in 94-96 on Eurosport! I saw matches as recent as '96 and probably as old (if not older than '90) during the run! So much awesome stuff, especially the junior heavyweight division with Japanese, North American and Latin American talent I had (basically) never seen before in my life! Solie and Oliver Humperdink were the commentators and Graig DeGeorge before solie and the name change to Ring Warriors (was it World Superstars of Wrestling before that, or something?)

1 hour ago, Casey said:

They were engaged, and they decided to call it off and end the relationship because their ideas for the future didn't align or something.

I know many are thinking  "So you're saying there's a chance. Yeah!"  But Aaron seems like a pretty decent guy and I think it stinks that they split.  Hopefully they both find happiness with whomever they end up being with.  I also say that while happily married and realizing I would have had no chance anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

And you'd think "Bo Dallas is dating an attractive woman" would give internet creeps hope.

Who is Paul Lee? At first I thought it was Brian Lee, except I conflated him with Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, because there were too many Brians in that time period.

But just too many people with my name, but so many of them were, like, the same dude. Big white guy with long darker hair and marginal talent.

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Aside from doing WCW jobs, I think the most time Paul Lee got on any wrestling TV was Smoky Mountain as Nature Boy Paul Lee.

Also there's the time that Paul Lee went to a Trump rally and was confused for Ric Flair by a reporter

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Brians weren't so bad.

It was the Scotts that were overpopulated