DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Does relationship status ever actually deter internet creeps? 

Probably just the opposite.

And you'd think "Bo Dallas is dating an attractive woman" would give internet creeps hope.

Who is Paul Lee? At first I thought it was Brian Lee, except I conflated him with Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, because there were too many Brians in that time period.

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Correct.  Solie did commentary for Ring Warriors, which aired on Eurosport, as well as networks in Asia and South Africa (and probably other markets).  New Japan wasn't directly involved with Ring Warriors, but provided footage through their relationship with Hiro Matsuda (Matsuda and Howard Brody were business partners at the time and owned the company producing Ring Warriors).  Basically, New Japan provided footage that showcased American and European wrestlers against NJ wrestlers.  Supposedly, the end game was to eventually create an Americanized version of NJPW, but nothing came of it after Matsuda passed away.

The VHS tapes might have been part of Ring Warriors or might not.  Don't remember and I don't own any of the  tapes anymore.  There was at least a couple more.  I owned a Bam Bam Bigelow compilation put out by the same group.

Man, Ring Warriors was really dope back in 94-96 on Eurosport! I saw matches as recent as '96 and probably as old (if not older than '90) during the run! So much awesome stuff, especially the junior heavyweight division with Japanese, North American and Latin American talent I had (basically) never seen before in my life! Solie and Oliver Humperdink were the commentators and Graig DeGeorge before solie and the name change to Ring Warriors (was it World Superstars of Wrestling before that, or something?)

1 hour ago, Casey said:

They were engaged, and they decided to call it off and end the relationship because their ideas for the future didn't align or something.

I know many are thinking  "So you're saying there's a chance. Yeah!"  But Aaron seems like a pretty decent guy and I think it stinks that they split.  Hopefully they both find happiness with whomever they end up being with.  I also say that while happily married and realizing I would have had no chance anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

And you'd think "Bo Dallas is dating an attractive woman" would give internet creeps hope.

Who is Paul Lee? At first I thought it was Brian Lee, except I conflated him with Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, because there were too many Brians in that time period.

But just too many people with my name, but so many of them were, like, the same dude. Big white guy with long darker hair and marginal talent.

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Aside from doing WCW jobs, I think the most time Paul Lee got on any wrestling TV was Smoky Mountain as Nature Boy Paul Lee.

Also there's the time that Paul Lee went to a Trump rally and was confused for Ric Flair by a reporter

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Brians weren't so bad.

It was the Scotts that were overpopulated

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Aside from doing WCW jobs, I think the most time Paul Lee got on any wrestling TV was Smoky Mountain as Nature Boy Paul Lee.

Also there's the time that Paul Lee went to a Trump rally and was confused for Ric Flair by a reporter

To where apparently Conrad Thompson got texts like "your father-in-law is at a Trump rally".

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know many are thinking  "So you're saying there's a chance. Yeah!"  But Aaron seems like a pretty decent guy and I think it stinks that they split.  Hopefully they both find happiness with whomever they end up being with.  I also say that while happily married and realizing I would have had no chance anyway. 

FYI, liking this for wishing both well and don't put yourself down bud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Man, Ring Warriors was really dope back in 94-96 on Eurosport! I saw matches as recent as '96 and probably as old (if not older than '90) during the run! So much awesome stuff, especially the junior heavyweight division with Japanese, North American and Latin American talent I had (basically) never seen before in my life! Solie and Oliver Humperdink were the commentators and Graig DeGeorge before solie and the name change to Ring Warriors (was it World Superstars of Wrestling before that, or something?)

My main memory of that show (besides the aforementioned Otto Wanz commentary on the German version) is me thinking that Jushin Liger was the Japanese Hulk Hogan because seemingly all episodes I watched ended with a Liger win.

Edited by Robert s

4 hours ago, Robert s said:

My main memory of that show (besides the aforementioned Otto Wanz commentary on the German version) is me thinking that Jushin Liger was the Japanese Hulk Hogan because seemingly all episodes I watched ended with a Liger win.

Liger did win a lot, that's for sure. I had only seen him being squashed by Sting & Dr Death at Starrcade'92 prior to this. Also, I used to hate Norio Honaga, because he beat absolutely everyone (including Liger, I think twice, even) while being a rather non-excitng heel in the junior division. I think it was Koji Kanemoto who beat him for the title and that was a good moment! Oddly enough, Honaga also dropped a fall to Great Kabuki's powerbomb in an 8-man tag match that seemed to be heel vs heel.

I remember they used different names for the American/Western wrestlers on World Superstars of Wrestling. Bam Bam Bigelow was "Scott Vigelow". Owen Hart was "Jim Owen". Dave Finlay was "Dave Fendy"  Humperdink used to forget sometimes though and just use their proper names. 

• Haha 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I remember they used different names for the American/Western wrestlers on World Superstars of Wrestling. Bam Bam Bigelow was "Scott Vigelow". Owen Hart was "Jim Owen". Dave Finlay was "Dave Fendy"  Humperdink used to forget sometimes though and just use their proper names. 

I just laughed worryingly hard imagining Dave Fat Fendy v Lord Stubby Ragoo. Covid cabin fever has taken my mind to strange places.

Lance Storm made a comment on Bryan's show about how he really like Young Rock and apparently Dave hated it and he wondered "since I have always had no desire to watch BTE because of how Dave described it, maybe I would actually like it if I watched it"  

• Haha 6