DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

51 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:
Was this aired on Hardcore TV? Is there a full version of this with Styles on commentary?

From Fall Spectacular '97. Same show with Shamrock/Vader, and a weird FMW appearance by Kobashi.

Cursory search on the network: It's the January 3, 1998 edition of Hardcore TV (23:17 is where that tweet is from exactly). Interestingly enough, Fumi Saito opens up the episode.

The episode is basically clips/matches from ECW's trip to Korakuen Hall as well as Joey calling bits and pieces of FMW matches to introduce folks to FMW talent (including Masato Tanaka/W*NG in an exploding rope barbed wire match, Gladiator/Masato Tanaka, the aforementioned match above, etc.). Kinda neat. AEW should rip this off if they get rights to air New Japan content.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, let me have Tony Schiavone doing color commentary on a Minoru Suzuki match please.

I feel like What Happened When peaked with Tony being introduced to New Jack along with the Halloween Havoc '95 episode, the Black Bart "I'm gon git 60 dollars for a blade job from now on" promo, the Alabama Doink match, and the WCW SN episode with the good-but-way too long Austin vs. Windham 2 out of 3 falls match. I feel like Minoru Suzuki will help Schiavone reach his full crazy potential.

13 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Am I going completely senile, or was there once a VHS compilation of NJPW matches with dubbed over commentary by Gordon Solie?

There were at least two volumes I know of...

Image result for world pro wrestling from japan vhs

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IIRC Lanny's money came from whatever Macho was making essentially per Bischoff. The other people in WCW who were sitting at home didn't have that same deal. They had absolutely no plans to ever use him. It was less bad WCW money management and more Randy making sure his brother was alright financially.

And it led to Lanny being able to afford his sweet ceiling tv. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I thought Brock's undefeated streak when he debuted in 2002 was wrapped up pretty well. He looked so awesome tossing Big Show around at Survivor Series that the title loss and screwy finish didn't seem to matter. They also didn't constantly bring up his win/loss record so it didn't become part of his identity like others mentioned

Also, Brock took a loss shortly after his debut on the UK PPV when Stasiak tagged himself in and lost to the Hardys.

Rusev's streak ending wasn't done well at all. Needed a lot more wink and nod to the Umaga match, instead, fluke AA and done wasn't great.

I liked Joe losing to Angle. I think that was the best use of what was available to them and striking while the iron was hot.

Not sure if HTM and the Warrior count but it should. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Am I going completely senile, or was there once a VHS compilation of NJPW matches with dubbed over commentary by Gordon Solie?

I am pretty sure Solie also did commentary for the English version of Eurosport when they aired New Japan in approx. 93-95 (though the stuff they aired was older, I don't know exactly how old, but Benoit was still wearing his mask; the German version had Otto Wanz doing commentary at one point and later on his son Michael by the way).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I am pretty sure Solie also did commentary for the English version of Eurosport when they aired New Japan in approx. 93-95 

Correct.  Solie did commentary for Ring Warriors, which aired on Eurosport, as well as networks in Asia and South Africa (and probably other markets).  New Japan wasn't directly involved with Ring Warriors, but provided footage through their relationship with Hiro Matsuda (Matsuda and Howard Brody were business partners at the time and owned the company producing Ring Warriors).  Basically, New Japan provided footage that showcased American and European wrestlers against NJ wrestlers.  Supposedly, the end game was to eventually create an Americanized version of NJPW, but nothing came of it after Matsuda passed away.

The VHS tapes might have been part of Ring Warriors or might not.  Don't remember and I don't own any of the  tapes anymore.  There was at least a couple more.  I owned a Bam Bam Bigelow compilation put out by the same group.

• Like 1

in former Pro Wrestler News

Paul Lee, the former Ringgold mayoral candidate and professional wrestler, was named in a report from the Georgia Secretary of State's Office alleging Lee tried to buy votes during the 2019 campaign by offering a free meal to any voter if he won the election.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said in a news release Thursday that the election board sent a batch of alleged "voting violations" to prosecutors after hearing what investigators had discovered across the state.

"We will continue to root out voting fraud and make sure anyone guilty of it faces prosecution," Raffensperger said in the release. "Fortunately, these individual cases aren't large enough to change the outcome of a statewide election. Their prosecution is an example to others who may contemplate skirting the rules that protect election integrity in Georgia."

The Georgia Election Board met Wednesday and heard findings from 63 different cases of alleged voter fraud and violations. The board voted to refer 24 cases to the state attorney general for prosecution. The cases occurred between 2017 and 2020.

During the campaign in October 2019, Lee posted on his Facebook page encouraging people to vote in the upcoming election. He did not specify that they should vote for him in this particular post.

"SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL VOTERS IN CITY OF RINGGOLD," he posted. "I want ALL voters to come out in this election and Vote for whoever they want, we have over 3,800 citizens on the city and only a small amount comes out and vote, BUT if I'm elected Mayor of Ringgold save your 'I Voted' stickers and I will go ahead and boost business with local downtown restaurants, as I will Pick up to 2 restaurants and buy everyone who voted and have their decal a FREE meal, this shows my compassion for our downtown businesses and Thankfulness for all who have supported me. Thank you and 'Let's Make Ringgold RIGHT.'"

for the sake of reference, Paul Lee finished in last place of 3 candidates with 9% (55 votes)

He would have won more votes if he said voters could get a free meal with Ric Flair if Paul Lee was elected.

Edited by Cobra Commander