DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

A unified walkout of a particular roster for a show means nothing in WWE. An entire show's worth of talent was held hostage by Saudi Arabia (sorry, it's true, if you don't believe it, then I don't know what to tell ya) and WWE's response was to first get Vince and the biggest names out of there, and then use the NXT roster and the people the Saudis deemed undesirable (so, women and Sami Zayn, and also Daniel Bryan). Unless you're seriously suggesting that WWE's massive roster of probably well over 200+ wrestlers ALL do a unified walkout, which is just insanity.

And it's pretty easy to see why these men and women agree to these contracts. We've talked about it in here. It's a combination of money and "hey, we're WWE, you watched us when you were a kid! Don't you want to try and become the next John Cena?! Sign this contract."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Unless you're seriously suggesting that WWE's massive roster of probably well over 200+ wrestlers ALL do a unified walkout, which is just insanity.

Especially when you have people like AJ Styles and Seth Rollins who constantly carry the WWE's water

(And that isn't even addressing old folks like Taker who will peddle the WWE's lies 25 years after the fact)

• Like 3

Matt Striker quoted someone on No Surrender this weekend (in reference to Eric Young & Cody Deaner), “It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.” This immediately made me think of Vince.

A seemingly large percentage of current WWE wrestlers were huge WWE fans as kids, and this has been their dream job forever. They’re now there, making great (?) money, doing the only thing they’ve ever wanted to do (and in some cases, maybe the only job they’d really be qualified for at this point). I can’t imagine the mental gymnastics it would take to convince yourself to quit that job, and go work for a “lesser” company.

I think it highlights the difference between current wrestlers, and ones from say, the 70s, who didn’t grow up watching it, only stumbled into it by being recruited from their job as a bouncer or whatever, and viewed it as a business/way to make money ONLY. I could be wrong, but just can’t imagine Race, Brody, Funk, Hansen, etc. being told they can’t side hustle, and actually being ok with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and, conversely, the handful of guys who do take that more mercenary approach? 

Warrior, Goldberg, Brock "Why would I watch the show, Paul?" Lesnar?

Those are the guys who actually got/get over on Vince in contracts, again and again.  And get booked above the Dream Job Good Soldiers again and again. Oh sure, they get tarred with that "doesn't have passion for the business!" brush, but that kinda just exposes what a con job that idea is.

• Like 2

Let's say WWE has a deal with Coca-Cola to sponsor a PPV. A WWE wrestler goes on IG and promotes a new Pepsi product. That's could be seen as a conflict of interest and I doubt Stephanie wants to explain why one of their wrestlers was doing that to Coke's CEO, especially if it's seen as something embarrassing or over the top.

However, if wrestlers were treated more like pro athletes, they could secure their own endorsement deals. Roger Goddell can pick whoever he wants as the official insurance company for the NFL. It doesn't stop Patrick Mahomes from signing an individual deal with State Farm.

And to RIPPA's point, Mahomes owns his name and likeness, whereas WWE creates characters for their wrestlers. Which is why, legally speaking, it's an uphill battle to fight the company on it. The carny lives on, indeed.

If you're a top name or someone they want to push to higher status, the company will find opportunities for you to make extra money. Guaranteed whoever was part of the Hyundai Drive for More campaign got a check. But they only extend that to so many. If you're not in that circle, your earning potential takes a hit and because they've banned third-party work, you're stuck.

The ultimate goal is for WWE to become a self-functioning talent agency. That's been their mindset for a couple of years. Hiring Nick Khan has likely brought that more into focus.

On one hand, an in-house agency makes sense. It's in line with them being more on the entertainment side of the ledger. They have 250+ attractive and talented people signed to them, many of whom not having representation or the direct means to secure deals on their own. They don't have unions to contend with in setting payrates. They're not going to get Roman Reigns or Sasha Banks to dump their Hollywood representation. But they can consolidate most of the others to tap into that money avenue.

But the point of an agency is to maximize earnings for as many clients as possible. Take Lana/CJ Perry. She's clearly ambitious and has some connections. Instead of working with her to further increase her income/profile which could help the company, they cut off those chances if they in any way conflict with WWE's corporate goals.

There will be no massive walkout. The top star in the company left for several months because he wasn't comfortable with their response to COVID. He only came back after they moved into a larger facility where he's given a private dressing room, creative control, and who knows what else. If there was a time to do a large-scale exit, it was March 2020. Only a few went and eventually returned.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'll be interested to see how WWE handles the charity endorsement thing. Part of me assumes this is a way to clamp down on the Q-Anon crowd, but would they actually try to stop someone like Sami Zayn, who clearly endorses a legitimate cause?

That's the one that fascinates me too

Because like Big E currently has the Rumble Brodie Lee gear up on Ebay (maybe the auction has closed by now) - could you imagine the WWE trying to tell him he couldn't give the money to the Rochester food bank?

Yeah, it’s tough, because once they introduce a policy like this, I’d imagine they have to be careful about selectively enforcing it. Big can of worms.

It can become very easy to let these things take away from the enjoyment of just watching wrestling. I try to remind myself that somewhere out there in the multiverse, Michael Cole is talking about how much Minoru Suzuki loves having fun with the WWE Universe. That usually makes me feel better about our timeline.

Edited by bodyslamdunk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm sure WWE has zero problems with one of their stars being associated with one of the biggest shows on TV.  

That being said, I really, really hope this is all borne out of the Nia Jax hole thing where someone had to explain to Vince what brand ambassadorships are and why Nia could get outside pay for a joke he wrote.  

And then him throwing something at that T-Rex skull he keeps in his office. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

You guys ever heard of a job being called "golden handcuffs"?  As in, you feel stuck because the pay, etc. is so good, but you're not happy.  You don't want to do it anymore, but you have to because you'd be crazy to give it up.  There are probably a lot of guys/girls who feel that way in WWE.  

And yet, AEW pays somewhat competitively, don't they?

God - the sponsorship battles always make me giggle.

I am old enough to remember Dream Team members covering the Reebok logos on their Olympic gear with American Flags so to not piss off Nike

Of course - Nike has been inserting its influence over USA Basketball forever

I mean I could understand the WWE trying to cut that off before they started having issues but I mean they already bring shut upon themselves like with their TV deals.

Move everything to NBC... WE STILL LOVE YOU FOX! DON'T CANCEL OUR DEAL!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

And yet, AEW pays somewhat competitively, don't they?

For a) 1/3 the audience and b) 1/3 the roster size.  

If you're willing to give up the WWE paycheck you have to be good enough to get into their roster, which is no guarantee.  And then after that, well, you're going to Japan and all the costs associated there... or you're going to Impact/ROH and on down the line.

Not saying you're wrong, but there are other factors to consider for a pro grappler. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Yes, Ed Karl and my father were good friends.  That was my "in" (along with being a writer for the glossy Wrestling's Main Event magazine). All of those names bring back good memories for me, too. It's really nice that someone remembers our show!

The Wrestling's Main Event part is what appeals to me.  That's awesome.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

and, conversely, the handful of guys who do take that more mercenary approach? 

Warrior, Goldberg, Brock "Why would I watch the show, Paul?" Lesnar?

Those are the guys who actually got/get over on Vince in contracts, again and again.  And get booked above the Dream Job Good Soldiers again and again. Oh sure, they get tarred with that "doesn't have passion for the business!" brush, but that kinda just exposes what a con job that idea is.

Vince has enough weird psychology going to that Dr. Sidney M. Basil could work on him for years and not make a dent.  One of his odd peculiarities is that he really likes and wants the wrestlers who don't give a shit and don't need him.  He doesn't respect the "marks" who want to be there.  He has to be able to "break" the rogues who don't.

• Like 3

The problem for anyone challenging the status is that they probably get tied up in court for literal years, likely without a paycheck or the right to work somewhere else during all this, and given that WWE has the money and the high powered attorney, there's no guarantee you'd win, even if, to my amateur eyes, it looks like the law would clearly be on the talent's side.

Then you are out thousands of dollars in legal fees, haven't been paid for a couple years, and likely are blacklisted from the biggest and best paying company in the industry.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The problem for anyone challenging the status is that they probably get tied up in court for literal years, likely without a paycheck or the right to work somewhere else during all this, and given that WWE has the money and the high powered attorney, there's no guarantee you'd win, even if, to my amateur eyes, it looks like the law would clearly be on the talent's side.

Then you are out thousands of dollars in legal fees, haven't been paid for a couple years, and likely are blacklisted from the biggest and best paying company in the industry.

Exactly.  The U.S. legal system in a nutshell.  If your opponent is bigger and has deeper pockets, it doesn't matter if you're right or have a winning case.  They can stall so much Larry Zbyszko would be like, "damn, let's go already," until you've lost your ass in legal fees with nothing to show for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hell, look how much money Colt Cabana ended up owing his lawyers after a lawsuit he was on the winning side of.

(Seriously, Dr Whatisname sued Colt and Punk, lost in court pretty decisively, and yet the two of them lost six figures each on legal fees. That's fucked up.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

One point cleared up (and unsurprising)

That's at least more reasonable, though it's not what Dave was saying last night when he and Alvarez brought this up.  A fair bit of the conversation was devoted to how talent would be punished if they ate out and took a group photo with the name of the steakhouse in the background.

I wonder what Dave's like if you know him personally.  There were a couple instances last night where he and Bryan had these odd stilted conversations and I felt like Dave was just impersonating a human being.  The bit where Dave asked Bryan where he would eat out at, and then went into this awkward monologue about how he knew what Bryan was going to say and planned to have a good joke ready but didn't have a good joke ready seemed like it came out of that new SyFy network show about the alien impersonating a doctor in a small town (sry, name escapes me at the moment).   

l

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2