DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To put a bow on the Cesaro stuff from way back in the thread

And see, this is the argument I'd make to make Cesaro/Nakamura the floating "TV Champ".  If his role is to make new stars, he's basically wasted on one show.  You know what he's capable of, so let him go to all three shows, have excellent matches with guys like Andrade, Damien Priest, Aleister Black, Cameron Grimes, Karrion Kross, and all the other guys who haven't been given the ball yet.  Let them show what they can do and get big reactions. 

This is all tempered by what I said in the Raw thread as we won't get any kind of course correction until real crowds are back on the weekly shows.  That's not happening until SummerSlam at the earliest.

Wesley Blake should probably stop answering his phone.  There doesn't seem like there's much upside to sending him back to NXT and repackaging him yet again.  

Any idea what happened to Murphy?  He was on tv a couple times after the Seth feud ended, but he's been awol for two months now.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Any idea what happened to Murphy?  He was on tv a couple times after the Seth feud ended, but he's been awol for two months now.

It looks like a combination of Rollins being written off for paternity leave and then the Mysterios getting COVID basically dropping that angle cold.

I see that he has recently changed his Twitter handle to "Best Kept Secret Again" so I am thinking its another "nothing for you" situation

Considering the story had a definite conclusion I'm not sure what else they could have done with him.  He got Aaliyah, the respect of her family and the satisfaction of ending things with Seth.  I guess you could pivot from that and put him in feuds with others but it's safe to say that WWE didn't know what to do.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Considering the story had a definite conclusion I'm not sure what else they could have done with him.  He got Aaliyah, the respect of her family and the satisfaction of ending things with Seth.  I guess you could pivot from that and put him in feuds with others but it's safe to say that WWE didn't know what to do.

Maybe have him wrestle people other than Seth?  Am I the only person that would prefer Murphy on my tv over most of the roster?  I was hoping they'd get him away from the Mysterious but still keep him on tv.  I was expecting them to transition him to a tag team with Dominick, which - if they're going to keep Dom on tv - is probably the best use of him.

The week or two that they seemed to be building to Mysterios + mystery partner vs. Corbin and his knights were odd.  I was wondering why they were hinting Rey was going to call in someone new when bringing in Murphy as the partner would have made perfect sense.  

Honestly, I'd send him to NXT.  There are a lot of guys he could have good matches with and pushing him strong in NXT wouldn't be that odd.  Murphy-Balor would probably be fun, as would Murphy-Escobar, Murphy-Dunn, etc.

• Like 3

Murphy had some absolute bangers with Ali and Cedric in 205 Live. He went from just another guy in a tag team to one of the better workers on the roster, then fizzled once he was put on the main roster. He can join a long line of other seemingly can't miss prospects brought down by lousy booking.

38 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Murphy had some absolute bangers with Ali and Cedric in 205 Live. He went from just another guy in a tag team to one of the better workers on the roster, then fizzled once he was put on the main roster. He can join a long line of other seemingly can't miss prospects brought down by lousy booking.

The matches with Black were awesome when he first got called up to.

Was bored and messing around with Premiere Pro, so I put together a Stop the Matsunaga video together with some cheap Kung Fu edits. This is the ZERO1-MAX angle I know @DEAN wrote about before. It's mostly just clips of him hitting folks with spike's while they bleed, so NSFW. Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you folks.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

Honestly, I'd send him to NXT.  There are a lot of guys he could have good matches with and pushing him strong in NXT wouldn't be that odd.  Murphy-Balor would probably be fun, as would Murphy-Escobar, Murphy-Dunn, etc.

That would be for the best, despite being kinda backwards. I'd be thrilled to see it, however. Murphy-Dunne is the dream match I gladly settle for, when I didn't get Dunne-Neville when they were both in the frinnges of WWE.

5 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Shit, have him win back the Cruiserweight belt and go back to lording over that division. It'd certainly rekindle some of the interest I've lost in that part of their product. 

Or that. Absolutely.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And see, this is the argument I'd make to make Cesaro/Nakamura the floating "TV Champ".  If his role is to make new stars, he's basically wasted on one show.  You know what he's capable of, so let him go to all three shows, have excellent matches with guys like Andrade, Damien Priest, Aleister Black, Cameron Grimes, Karrion Kross, and all the other guys who haven't been given the ball yet.  Let them show what they can do and get big reactions. 

This is all tempered by what I said in the Raw thread as we won't get any kind of course correction until real crowds are back on the weekly shows.  That's not happening until SummerSlam at the earliest.

I know I'm not the only person to have this thought, but a "WWE Network" title where it could be defended on any show that airs on the network could work for guys like that. I guess the 24/7 title is kind of like that, but ya know it's not taken seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

I know I'm not the only person to have this thought, but a "WWE Network" title where it could be defended on any show that airs on the network could work for guys like that. I guess the 24/7 title is kind of like that, but ya know it's not taken seriously.

I don't know why it isn't. R-Truth had an absolute banger of a match against Peter Rosenberg.

3 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Considering the WWE Network won't exist in the US next month, in your world, it would be the "Peacock" belt.  And picturing R-Truth with a plume of feathers...that seems pretty likely.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Does anybody have a link to the video with Jericho's list of people he beat, that he listed on Raw? It was akin to his moves promo.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2