DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

Edit: Never mind.  He was one of the Forgotten Sons.  In fact, he was the one I forgot so he obviously lived his gimmick rather well.

KInd of amusing that the Sons made it to the main roster only to get nerfed almost immediately because Jaxson Ryker said something stupid - and Ryker got a better spot on Raw than Blake or Cutler.

Edit 2: I didn't realize Infinit was making a joke until after I posted.  First time, I saw his post, the Forgotten Sons reference whooshed right over my head.  My bad.

Edited by Eoae

28 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I was never sure if the name 'Knights of the Lone Wolf' was supposed to a joke or not.

Maffew had a bit a few Botchamanias ago, where he overdubbed Corbin talking, with that scene from Airheads where they are telling the DJ their name is "The Lone Rangers".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The sooner this new gimmick poster gets cashed the sooner we can get back to paying our air bills... just saying...

Youll have to be more specific, since are seemingly mire every day. 

27 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Who are you referring to?

RunningFromAmerica. Sorry, thought it was obvious with him running wild on the last two pages. Victim blaming & standing behind his use of a derogatory term for the mentally disabled are pretty shitty actions to begin with. More so when Dolfan told him to chill on the subject and he kept going.

Sorry if I was too vague and you thought I might have been talking about you? I have been annoyed by some of your one line drive by posts before lol, but you post a lot of good information and always add a lot to the discussions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wrestling fans are going to remember 2020 for empty arena shows due to the pandemic.  That's fine but don't ever forget that 2020 was the year every company had groups of dark-clad cannon fodder mystery men running around.

AEW with The Dark Order.  IMPACT had EC3's followers.  MLW with masked Contra soldiers.  WWE with Tozawa's ninjas, Retribution, and the pre-Legado Del Fantasma in the most dangerous place in professional wrestling: the Orlando parking lot.

3 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Wrestling fans are going to remember 2020 for empty arena shows due to the pandemic.  That's fine but don't ever forget that 2020 was the year every company had groups of dark-clad cannon fodder mystery men running around.

AEW with The Dark Order.  IMPACT had EC3's followers.  MLW with masked Contra soldiers.  WWE with Tozawa's ninjas, Retribution, and the pre-Legado Del Fantasma in the most dangerous place in professional wrestling: the Orlando parking lot.

I’m naming my faction “The Zeitgeist Antifa”

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BEN! said:

When does Vince do his recreation of the Capitol Assault, with Corbin dressed as Buffalo Face Paint Guy? 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BEN! said:

If only they headed Kenta's warnings about that parking lot.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Am I the only one who's noticed that every time we talk about Lars Sullivan, the discussion just devolves into everyone being dicks to each other?

The solution is to stop talking about Lars Sullivan, which I have no problem with.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Regarding Steve Cutler - Meltzer frames it in the new WON that basically Cutler's release was due to him having the New Year's Eve Party

Steve Cutler, 33, was released on 2/4. He and Wesley Blake were put into a group with Corbin. Then Cutler, the boyfriend of Deonna Purrazzo of Impact, got sick and then the whole idea was dropped after he missed a week. This was said to be a disciplinary reason that got Vince McMahon livid when he heard about it. Purrazzo didn’t directly reference it, but moments after his release she only tweeted “COVID strikes again.” The belief is that it had to do with his New Year’s Eve party that led to that and that McMahon had promised a few wrestlers like Reigns a safe environment when he returned and Cutler was around all the talent. Cutler was training at the Performance Center in the big guys class on the day he got fired. He is believed to be the first pro wrestler fired for getting COVID

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This could get interesting/ugly quickly

Eh - I think that is poor wording on Meltzer's fault or at least put it this way - rightly or wrongly, the WWE lawyers would easily defend it as saying that he was fired for not following COVID protocols they have in place not because he got COVID directly. In fact, if anything, they would use the fact that he tested positive as the reason why they don't want folks gathering.

Obviously - if he hadn't tested positive - no one would have cared (in the WWE) that he had the party

• Like 1

To put a bow on the Cesaro stuff from way back in the thread

There have been reports going around regarding the status of Cesaro. Either he signed or verbally agreed to a new deal a few weeks ago. The gauntlet match that Adam Pearce won on Smackdown, the babyface star making spot of running through the field and then getting screwed at the end was an idea of Bryan, and his pick for the spot was Cesaro. However, since Cesaro hadn’t signed yet, it was switched to Nakamura, so Cesaro was going to be the face originally. But even if some thought Nakamura got over in that match, and without live fans there’s really no way to know, since he was a replacement, the plan wasn’t to follow up much which is why he’s basically in the same spot, only on the face side. He’s been told his role is to make new stars

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This could get interesting/ugly quickly

And here's the difference between contracted employees and a full-time employee.  I'll all but guarantee (and it being WWE, I'll double down on this) the employer has a conduct clause in their employment agreement.  Basically, if you breathe wrong (!!!) you can be fired.  Depending on the state you're in, if you're an employee, you have to be given cause to be let go.  

And then if you're a union employee, they can contest/litigate a termination.  

Short answer, Blake Cutler is gone and will not be back any time soon.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Eh - I think that is poor wording on Meltzer's fault or at least put it this way - rightly or wrongly, the WWE lawyers would easily defend it as saying that he was fired for not following COVID protocols they have in place not because he got COVID directly. In fact, if anything, they would use the fact that he tested positive as the reason why they don't want folks gathering.

Obviously - if he hadn't tested positive - no one would have cared (in the WWE) that he had the party

The wording from his post is a bit odd but does that mean that Cutler knew he had COVID and had the party anyway?  Because if so then that's entirely on him.