DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2021 Post Event Discussion

RIPPA

The prospect of 2 months of Edge talking about GRIT while Drew talks about having to lose his job and succeeding because he just wants it more sounds like it would be hell as they get stuck in a tryhard-off, so hopefully that isn't the match as they'd each likely be better of paired off with almost anyone else.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hector said:

I can't believe there are people who look at Edge in the ring tonight and don't see Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He looked terrible.

Oh man. I thought we might get Orton possessed by the Fiend at one point, but if we get Edge possessed by the Fiend, then he can wear the skin mask and wouldn't need the Just for Men.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was.  I'm wondering if he was removed in the Keith Lee re-write. 

Him not being on the show at all makes me wonder if he was a COVID casualty 

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

I enjoyed Goldberg being blown up 45 seconds into a 4 minute match. 

Drew's lucky he didn't die on that jackhammer. 

Scary that and how blown up Goldberg was. Goldberg was on all fours as he tried to make it backstage.

I did enjoy that the McIntyre/Goldberg match was exactly what I predicted it to be: a replay of the Lesnar/Rollins match from WrestleMania 35. Bell-to-bell, Drew/Goldberg was BARELY longer than that match.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Random things I enjoyed before I pass out

- My wife's continued hatred of Charlotte Flair, complete with a "Thank God!" after she was eliminated

Literally the same for my wife during our watching as well.

Overall, I guess the show was okay. I think for the *most* part, the right people won. Thankfully Goldberg didn't win.

Women's Rumble was done pretty well. Bummed no Molly Holly this year, but I'm more then okay with Victoria and Jillian, and no Kelly Kelly.

I did enjoy the multiple red herrings in the men's Rumble match. A little puzzled where it's going to go with Edge, but at least it wasn't Seth or Randy again.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Random things I enjoyed before I pass out

- Christian of course

- Billie Kay is a national treasure. I wish they had done more with her being torn between the IIconics and Riot Squad

- Bobby Lashley and Big E as Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat

- Everyone having to pretend the ref didn't just randomly stopped counting because they couldn't get the handcuffs off of Reigns

- Rhea Ripley saying "Fuck this shit" and immediately tossing Alexa

- My wife's continued hatred of Charlotte Flair, complete with a "Thank God!" after she was eliminated

I think that reaction was the majority of people watching. I felt same way.

I was really impressed by Santana Garrett, I almost forgot who she was because I don't watch NXT but she really impressed me. I'd like to see her Toni Storm and Rea on the main roster. 

Steen vs Roman was good too.

I know few of you saying Edge wasn't good tonight.  I didn't pay much attention during that Rumble but Christian looked like he never left. Edge will never be as good as Christian mechanically and Knowing Edge,  he probably feels like he has to make up for last years Mania. I like Edge to , I just hope we don't see him in cinematic type matches. 

I hope we get Belair vs Sasha but Knowing that company it's now gaurrantee that's the plan.

Awesome seeing Christian in there. Was shocked to see him get so physical and be in there so long as I thought he was for sure one that would never wrestle again. Great stuff and I would love to see him back regularly.  Both rumbles pretty good. Great moment for Bianca. Hate that Drew/Goldberg was reduced to the typical both guys suddenly can only do two moves routine, can't imagine what else to do with Goldberg in the future after back to back losses like that.

That second ref stopping the count at 6 when he realized Paul couldn't get Roman uncuffed in time was hilarious. Otherwise that match was fantastic. Both guys brought it tonight. 

And did Tom Phillips have to tell us 15 times that Toni Storm was a ROCK STAR? That really stuck out as forced and really funny. I wonder how many times Vince repeatedly said that to him on his headset lol

Great seeing Bianca win. She's one of my favorites to watch right now, male or female. She could be a huge star if they don't mess things up with her.

53 minutes ago, Casey said:

They always burn me. Always. I re-subbed because it's the Rumble, it's a Sunday night, and I have nothing better to do. Got me in the beginning: first with Drew making quick work of Goldberg, that's good. That's the right call. And then with the women's Rumble - that was great stuff. The ending sequence between Bianca and Rhea was legit good shit. I'm happy for Bianca, a home-state girl making it is awesome.

But this Orton/Edge shit? No, man. Just no. I get why, but again, no. I popped for Christian, I won't lie. But everything else just...

I had done so well in the past year or two just ignoring WWE's shit. Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself.

On the bright side: Rhea Ripley just cutting Alexa Bliss' Fiend bullshit off at the head was top notch, you love to see it.

Duuuuude. You and me both. At 7:30 pm I figured, eh, might as well re-subscribe and watch the Royal Rumble. Drew vs Goldberg fucking sucked because Goldberg is old and done, but it was at least quick. Sasha vs Carmella was good. Fucking LOVED Bianca winning. As much as I love Rhea, I wanted Bianca to win and her post match celebration was perfect. Brought a tear to my eye. Roman vs KO was also really good.

And then came the men's Rumble match. I'm thinking it has to be Big E or Daniel Bryan. Has to be. I figured Edge being #1 would be a tease at him winning, but ultimately it would be someone else more worthwhile.

Nope.

Like, I also popped for Christian returning, but Big E getting eliminated by Omos SUCKED. Then lame ass Rollins eliminated Bryan. At that point I knew it would be Edge and sure enough, it was. Like...I'm an Edge fan back during his original run. This old, part timer run is the same old tired shit. Are they expecting me to think Edge should have any chance against Drew or Reigns? Both of those guys are damn near gods and Edge is very old looking.

So yeah, they had me for most of the night and then the men's Rumble was once again Lucy pulling the football at the last second. And what's worse is that you know they're going to program Rhea against this Alexa metamorphosis bullshit. Rhea should be ethering everyone not named Bianca and now she's going to have to survive the Fiend Booking Vortex (to steal from Goodear's Brandi Booking Vortex).

For $10 it wasn't a total waste, but I'm just going to cancel and re-subscribe for WM because I already know the TV, at least on the Raw side, is going to be garbage and there's nothing else to look forward to until WM. And even then, who knows what we'll get.

• Like 4