DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2021 Post Event Discussion

RIPPA

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Drew/Goldberg was short and pointless

The women's title match was really good. Sasha is an excellent wrestler and can get a solid match out of most people, but Carmella was pulling her weight as well.

This was probably my favorite of the women's rumbles that have taken place so far. The amount of Divas era legends was kept to a minimum (though I had to look up who Jillian Hall was) and there was very little fuckery. The 24/7 title segment was stupid and disrespectful but brief and didn't screw much up. Alexa getting chucked mid-gimmick change was nice. There was a lot of good actuion and the ending run was very nicely done with the right person going over.

I was expecting Roman to retain but figured there would be some interference by Jey in the process. The handcuff spot was dumb but the match was otherwise fine.

Lawler's commentary was especially awful tonight, especially during the women's rumble.

The WWE decides to make a star once again by giving the young upstart Edge the win after starting as the first entrant. Fuck this company.

• Like 1

They always burn me. Always. I re-subbed because it's the Rumble, it's a Sunday night, and I have nothing better to do. Got me in the beginning: first with Drew making quick work of Goldberg, that's good. That's the right call. And then with the women's Rumble - that was great stuff. The ending sequence between Bianca and Rhea was legit good shit. I'm happy for Bianca, a home-state girl making it is awesome.

But this Orton/Edge shit? No, man. Just no. I get why, but again, no. I popped for Christian, I won't lie. But everything else just...

I had done so well in the past year or two just ignoring WWE's shit. Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself.

On the bright side: Rhea Ripley just cutting Alexa Bliss' Fiend bullshit off at the head was top notch, you love to see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Enjoyed both Royal Rumble matches, more so the Women's. Stupid having Bayley eliminated halfway through. Christian returning was the best thing about the show. Daniel Bryan should've won the Royal Rumble match.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

LOL @ whoever predicted Edge and Orton going the distance as an FU to anyone who criticized the Greatest Match Ever being right on the money...

I was off on my call of Cena winning but got this and Belair right.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

Porting over two thoughts:

The WWE "Good parts only" finisher spam sprint title match style is the most bankrupt title match structure in history. Just hollow and pointless.

Women's rumble:

It was interesting just how many people were in there through most of it. Billie Kay carried the first half of this. Her trying to team up before getting in and being torn about the Iiconics pose and trying to be friends with three people/entities, etc. Jax and Moon looked pretty bad. Mostly everyone else looked really good. I liked the Alexa stuff, to be honest. She's playing her character in the ring and changing up the way she's moving and reacting. The character may be problematic but Alexa's doing well with working to it in a setting like this. Blame Prichard, not her. Lots of great little moments, like Victoria hitting the widow's peak after Peyton did it or the Naomi/Bianca stuff or the Nia/Tamina stuff and Lana's big moment. Charlotte's look on her face after she got eliminated is the most endearing thing about her. I like how they cycle through the "legends" and you get people you haven't seen last time.

I saw the WWE Rewind (or whatever) thing with Bianca featured earlier today and I'm pretty happy for her because she put in such a showing last time, even better than this one, I think.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this show.   The women's Rumble ending with two can't miss breakout stars (Bianca/Rhea)  was fantastic and I'm very pleased to see Bianca getting the title feud with I'm assuming Sasha..   

Roman vs. K.O. was an all time great Last Man Standing match..   holy fuck those two went to war.  That was great.  

Carmella vs. Sasha was good again.  

Men's Rumble was pretty good,  love to see Carlito back and man was he JACKED lol.   Edge winning is fine,  I forgot Vince is paying him all that money.  

I think it should be Edge vs. McIntyre.   Roman needs someone else. 

• Like 1

I could see a fairly logical Mania that's...

• Drew vs Edge vs Orton
  • Reigns vs Bryan
  • Sasha vs Bianca vs Bayley
  • Asuka vs Alexa
  • Cena vs Goldberg(?)

If Bryan's on his way out you can do Reigns vs Cena and Bryan vs Riddle (or Bryan/Riddle/Rollins)

• Like 1

I'm holding out hope that Bryan wants to win the Rumble next year in front of a crowd. But if that's not the case and this is his last then seriously fuck this Rumble. I have no interest in him feuding with Rollins and a Chamber win misses the point. That and considering they could have shaved off some stuff I feel like I wasted my time watching this. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1