DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Tropes You Love / Hate

On the "Heel champs should get DQd" logic/trope - Why hasn't anyone done this with the MITB?

When Ziggler cashed in Del Rio it was a huge moment. It could have gone very differently if ADR just punted Dolph in the crotch after the ref rang the bell.

THAT is a subversion of expectations!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

On the "Heel champs should get DQd" logic/trope - Why hasn't anyone done this with the MITB?

When Ziggler cashed in Del Rio it was a huge moment. It could have gone very differently if ADR just punted Dolph in the crotch after the ref rang the bell.

THAT is a subversion of expectations!

That would be a great way to do things if you find that you have booked yourself into a corner and the guy with the briefcase definitely isn't someone you'd want to give even a BS reign to! Have them cash in, and get kicked in the groin for an instant DQ, then the champ takes the briefcase and beats the everloving fuck out of the MitB winner so badly that they will not be around for a good while afterwards.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, Mister TV said:

No the Garvin Stomp was a spot to pop the crowd, his finisher was the punch followed by sitting on opponents chest with crotch in their face for the pin. 

While David Crockett breathed heavily and said, "look at him Tony, just look at him. Dominating the other man. Look at him."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 year later...

The announcers used to mention that they were surprisingly good together, had chemistry, etc. Idk if they do that anymore.

I hated the overuse of street sign language. Not Diamond Cutter, DX type fun stuff that was done interactively for fun. I’m talking about how a fuming mad wrestler would yell to the ref while doing hand, arm and foot signals explaining how somebody ran into the ring, hit him with a chair and stole his valet. He would jog in place, do a chair swing with his arms and snatch the valet away out of thin air lol! All while yelling at the ref lol! 

On 10/19/2022 at 2:04 AM, The Green Meanie said:

Bringing this one back to mention there's a new one I absolutely adore - Jericho thinking he's won and celebrating after a rope break and the referee having to tell him. Alot of wrestlers have done it before, but I've enjoyed his the most.

Aw man they should have done that instead of the fake tap in the GUNTHER/Sheamus rematch.

I think I love and hate all pro wrestling tropes. The tropes are what makes it what it is and it's a thing I love. So, I love it when those tropes are done well and hate it when they're not.

Damn, I should be a politician.

• Like 3

Here’s another one lol when the wrestler demonstrates how the other wrestler pulled his tights, and does it so that it looks more like he’s demonstrating an exercise. Pivots his foot, turns his hip, grabs his own tights, then fake reacts to his tights having been grabbed lol! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I love all of that shit, the more demonstrative the better.  Pretty much anything that is playing to the back rows instead of the camera is OK in my book.

It's even better when it's a heel doing it when the face hadn't actually cheated.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, Octopus said:

I generally do not like when two singles workers are put together and all of a sudden they are a great and cohesive  team, against actual long running tag teams. 

Swerve and Keith Lee are kind of doing a deconstructed version of this where they started great, but we are at a stage where Keith Lee still thinks they should be dominating the tag division but Swerve’s natural selfishness won’t allow them to work well as a team.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I love all of that shit, the more demonstrative the better.  Pretty much anything that is playing to the back rows instead of the camera is OK in my book.

It's even better when it's a heel doing it when the face hadn't actually cheated.

Thinking about it, my favorite iteration of this is when someone is arguing with the ref after a 2.9 count and slaps out a 3 count with their hands, as if to demonstrate to the ref the proper method of counting.  Great shit.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, MapRef41N93W said:

Just remembered another one I hate: when the name of a tag team is either

(a) A portmanteau of the two wrestlers' names (FinnJuice, Breezango)

Even worse is that they didn't go with "Finn and Juice."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, Gordlow said:

How about when Wrestler A whips Wrestler B toward the ropes, and Wrestler B runs at the ropes, turns around, bounces off of the ropes, and runs back toward Wrestler A. 

If you think about it, that is more difficult to believe than any Canadian Destroyer or Spanish Fly.

Exactly - when I wrote the "Wrestling Is Real" novel, I had to eliminate "run the ropes" spots and anything else that wouldn't work in a real match.

• Thanks 1

Getting all up in your opponents face ready to thrash them....

But you pause so you can do your taunt, Penta style ? 

Cena with "you can't see me" taunt during the 5 knuckle shuffle, road Dogg doing the Suck It taunt during his "shake rattle and roll" punch combo, etc

13 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Thinking about it, my favorite iteration of this is when someone is arguing with the ref after a 2.9 count and slaps out a 3 count with their hands, as if to demonstrate to the ref the proper method of counting.  Great shit.

Even better when the heel tells the ref they should count faster, then immediately get rolled up by the face and the ref does the faster count and the heel barely escapes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Zimbra said:

bald heels accusing the babyface of pulling their hair.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:22 PM, odessasteps said:

I hope that doesn’t include “points to head” when they do something seemingly clever.

Just came across my twitter and it does, in fact, rule

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

bald heels accusing the babyface of pulling their hair.

Or accusing a bald babyface of greasing his head after he slips out of a headlock?  That's the good shit, right there.

• Like 2