DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Tropes You Love / Hate

• 2 weeks later...

Piggybacking on the tag team trope - I hate it when the face is beat down, staggers to his corner, gets the hot tag... and then two moves later is tagged back in. Come on, man.  This happens in modern wrestling, old wrestling, big time PPVs, Dark matches... if the FIP comes back in and gets his ass beat again, it makes him and his teammate look dumb; if he comes back in and is fine and dandy, it makes the match look dumb.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Piggybacking on the tag team trope - I hate it when the face is beat down, staggers to his corner, gets the hot tag... and then two moves later is tagged back in. Come on, man.  This happens in modern wrestling, old wrestling, big time PPVs, Dark matches... if the FIP comes back in and gets his ass beat again, it makes him and his teammate look dumb; if he comes back in and is fine and dandy, it makes the match look dumb.

He wants revenge and often pays for it but it can be pretty dumb, yeah. But evil often triumphs because good is dumb.

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:00 PM, AxB said:

WCW tried to improve on the name of the DDT. They called it the Evenflow DDT for a bit.

I'm most likely mistaken but didn't Raven name his version the Evenflow in ECW because of Pearl Jam? Or is that just aol chat gossip from the early days of the net??

One of my other pet peeves is during the Royal Rumble where an early entrant is taken out because of injury just to make it back for the finale. Orton did it this year with the leg injury and the other one that sticks out is Reigns. Most especially cause on the same card Owens had some wild match with weapons or tables, that was beforetheRumble, can't remember. but Reigns is out early and "injured" though I think someone speculated they were letting him rest up backstage instead of running the whole thing, and then Owens guts it out and limps his way to the ring carrying the wounds of his earlier match. So Owens pulls double duty after going through a war earlier but he sucks it up and marches out there while reigns puts in, what 20 minutes maybe before taking a breather for half an hour then he came back out and wins(?) [Could totally be confusing two different Rumbles with Reigns, insomnia definitely not helping]

"Both feet must touch the floor" is one of the dirt-worst modern tropes.  Because of that, we get guys hopping on one leg, doing handstands, doing the dead bug pose, etc.  I'm surprised WWE never pulled some shit with Zach Gowan back in the day where he could never be eliminated because he didn't have two feet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

"Both feet must touch the floor" is one of the dirt-worst modern tropes.  Because of that, we get guys hopping on one leg, doing handstands, doing the dead bug pose, etc.  I'm surprised WWE never pulled some shit with Zach Gowan back in the day where he could never be eliminated because he didn't have two feet.

At the first Double or Nothing, they had a legless wrestler in the battle royal and I kept thinking okay this has to come up at some point and... it didn't. 

• Like 3

Apologies if this was mentioned but my favorite trope is "babyfaces loses a loser-leaves-town match and comes back under a mask" and the face announcers/commissioner play dumb while the heel manager/heels get increasingly exasperated at the lunacy of it. 

It never fails to entertain. Watch on Youtube promos of Bobby Heenan reacting to The Giant machine. This French giant is standing there and Tunney is like "I dunno who this man is" while Heenan looks like he's going to have an aneaur

Midnight Rider, Yellow Dog, Stagger Lee, The Bullet, Mr America. It's always funny. 

The fact that we never got Juan Cena on TV is criminal.  

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

IWA Mid South did!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Like much that's wrong with modern wrestling, this is apparently Shawn Michaels's fault.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Apologies if this was mentioned but my favorite trope is "babyfaces loses a loser-leaves-town match and comes back under a mask" and the face announcers/commissioner play dumb while the heel manager/heels get increasingly exasperated at the lunacy of it. 

It never fails to entertain. Watch on Youtube promos of Bobby Heenan reacting to The Giant machine. This French giant is standing there and Tunney is like "I dunno who this man is" while Heenan looks like he's going to have an aneaur

Midnight Rider, Yellow Dog, Stagger Lee, The Bullet, Mr America. It's always funny. 

The fact that we never got Juan Cena on TV is criminal.  

Monsoon theorizing that Giant Machine might be “Baba the Giant” was great.

I don't know if this necessarily counts as a trope or not, but I've always wondered - what's with wrestlers chewing gum during matches? Mr. Perfect would do that move where he'd spit it out then slap it away during his entrance and that was one thing, but I've just noticed lots of guys with wads of gum in their mouth before and during their matches.

I hate when workers chew gum. If it's a heel star doing a squash it's cool, otherwise it make it seem to casual and not serious. I do love it when Monsoon or Vince would lose it when Muraco would chew gum, wear sunglasses or eat a meatball sub while wrestling, or Hansen would have some chew. If Buddy Rogers didn't need candy whilst he worked his way to the top, dammit, then neither do these young'uns.

- RAF

• Like 1

Watching AEW just now, not a fan of the trope flogged beyond death by WWE of the participants in an upcoming multi-man match/battle royal all hitting the ring like clockwork to close the go-home show 'this is just a taste of the chaos we'll see this Sunday night!'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, Hagan said:

I really want Jericho to lose a loser leaves AEW match and come back under a hood. Instead of the Midnight Rider he could be the midnight mover 

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

How about when Wrestler A whips Wrestler B toward the ropes, and Wrestler B runs at the ropes, turns around, bounces off of the ropes, and runs back toward Wrestler A. 

If you think about it, that is more difficult to believe than any Canadian Destroyer or Spanish Fly.

Wrestling Physics ? 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 2:00 AM, Custos said:

Watching AEW just now, not a fan of the trope flogged beyond death by WWE of the participants in an upcoming multi-man match/battle royal all hitting the ring like clockwork to close the go-home show 'this is just a taste of the chaos we'll see this Sunday night!'

I did enjoy the Wrestlemania 31/play button iteration of this if only because the go-home show’s segment ended with all participants laying down injured (at least one legitimately so IIRC) around the outside of the ring, the ladder (that had fortuitously been left under the ring for some reason) was broken beyond use, and the IC title (also fortuitously hanging from the rafters even though it wasn’t on the line yet) remaining undisturbed and impossibly out of reach.

A hilarious unintentional metaphor

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I really want Jericho to lose a loser leaves AEW match and come back under a hood. Instead of the Midnight Rider he could be the midnight mover 

Balls To The Wall Of Jericho

• Thanks 1

Love:  Loaded boots and loaded gloves.  The crowd never fails to scream at the top of their lungs in the vain effort to rat out the heel as he is about to secure victory via cheating.  There is nothing better that a bunch of fans yelling LOOOK OUT~!!! in unison right before a babyface gets wrecked and then the lot of them are angry enough to set the venue on fire as the heel's hand is raised in victory.

Love:  The Shaw Brothers kung-fu movie trope subverted by pro wrestling where a beaten heel goes to "the Orient" to learn a deadly forbidden move (usually a leglock, or some heel submission move like the Cobra Clutch, Stomach Claw, or the Tongan Death Grip) and returns to the fed with a tenfold increase in skill.   In the movies, it's the hero that goes off to learn the secret technique needed to counter the villain's deathblow thingie.

Hate:  KO Punch finishers.  Punches are technically not legal, so why are refs counting pinfalls after someone hits a fucking Superman Punch finish? That's not a finish, it's a DQ.  Also, what makes your KTFO punch finisher more dangerous than the worked illegal punches you threw during the match?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4