DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Oh man I would love it if they gave Varsity Blonds the win (by heel miscommunication or something). That would just make my day. Not that I'll be bummed out f the match goes as expected, mind you.

Edit: Agree (with "everyone" and also with @Zakk_Sabbath) that Dax vs Jungle Boy and Archer vs King could both be really good. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

The awards are actually this week. The ones I heard about (Most WTF moment, Biggest Clean Up) are dumb. Why they didn't just do woman, match, tag team, wrestler when they could move angles forward is a waste. These are awards that go right up there with Best Bowtie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goodear said:

The awards are actually this week. The ones I heard about (Most WTF moment, Biggest Clean Up) are dumb. Why they didn't just do woman, match, tag team, wrestler when they could move angles forward is a waste. These are awards that go right up there with Best Bowtie.

I thought the awards were going to be a separate thing on like BR or the TNT app or something? 

Edit: I got the skinny. Awards are on BR at 7 before the show, Dynamite on 8 on TNT as usual

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Good card on tap tonight. I know everyone's looking forward to Dax/Jungle Boy, as am I, but my prediction is that Kingston/Archer is the one we're gonna be talking about tomorrow.

The latter is the match I'm most looking forward to.

• Like 1

I feel like Archer and Kingston are kind of in a booking corner where both guys need some rebuild as both guys have lost every feud they've been in at this point.  I expect Eddie will do a fabulous selling job based off the match with Pac, but I'm not sure that is what he should be doing as the heel in this situation. 

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I feel like Archer and Kingston are kind of in a booking corner where both guys need some rebuild as both guys have lost every feud they've been in at this point.  I expect Eddie will do a fabulous selling job based off the match with Pac, but I'm not sure that is what he should be doing as the heel in this situation. 

Yeah I'm with you. I'm guessing it's probably a F finish involving some combination of Death Triangle and BB&B, but I'm still looking forward to the meat and potatoes

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Or Lance slips on a peel, or Jake interferes and it backfires, some iteration

I'd be ok with a non-finish to Kingston/Archer. Let them brawl all over the arena and get counted out or let them shove the referee down causing a double DQ. Neither one can really afford a loss, so a non-finish would keep them both looking strong.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I know the show is going on but I just tried to join it from the beginning and I have no picture from about 2 minutes in until about 18 minutes and, that kind of fucking sucks...

I have an almost irrational hatred for missing out on things for dumb reasons. Still rather salty about it as I kind of don't care to find the first match now. 

And I think they said it wasn't just YTTV that was affected. Apparently there was something on the east coast that had an issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bodyslamdunk said:

@christopher.annino are you watching on YouTube TV by any chance? I gave up after 10 minutes and changed to NXT. Thought it was just me, all my channels seemed to be working but TNT.

Indeed I am. I started it well after 8:30, but instead of joining live I went back to the beginning pre-recorded and yeah, it was all shitty. I fast forwarded until the Moxley promo and it's been fine since, and I'm now caught up. 

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Put the world belt on Jungle Boy. WHY ARE THEY DRAGGING THEIR FEET?!

Besides the awkward trading of two counts, that match fucking ruled and Jungle Boy has so many great years ahead of him. 

It's still so wild to hear Tarzan Boy. 

Hook is such a bastard and I can't wait to see him finally debut. 

A year ago I would have easily said how much I couldn't stand Britt Baker in the ring but man, she has fucking come around and is a joy to watch. Between character work and ring work, she is crushing it. 

I like the idea of everybody trying to co-opt Adam Page and him staying a long wolf. Long-term storytelling!

• Like 4

That episode kinda kicked ass. Well paced, every match made sense, Dax and Jungle Boy burned the house down, and Britt Baker continues to defy her critics. She is getting REALLY fucking good working heel. Everything Mox did was awesome, but that's to be expected, and if Kenny Omega's dorky, asymmetric ass is gonna be on my tv screen, him getting planted on his head is my preferred method of consumption. Why would anyone watch nXt when they could be watching this? 

• Like 4

TSN went back to their "whoops we don't know how to do picture in picture just run a normal ad break" this week.

God, Kingston/Archer ruled. It's like they made a match just to get the old men of DVDVR excited. Kingston did more with the loaded glove angle in one match than Spears did in months, lol. I thought this was great TV-length wrestling. Archer lost nothing putting Kingston over, Kingston looks like dangerous a piece of shit, somehow nobody died on that apron chokeslam spot, everyone's happy.

MJF does little details well. My fav in this match was screaming "AHHHHH SHIT" when he got back body dropped. Match had a good finish.

I am pretty sure I don't give a shit about this Cody/Shaq angle. I spent the whole promo looking at stock market memes on twitter.

"Everyone tries to recruit Hangman" is kind of an interesting idea. I'm willing to see where that goes.

God, Jungle Boy's new theme song rules so much. It's hilarious Tony Khan ponied up whatever it cost for it. This match with Dax was good too. It got very Jerry Lynn on the nearfalls but fuck, for TV wrestling this is fun shit.

• Like 7

Hey lookit, I asked for a rollup and I got one, I asked for a fuck finish and I got one! Anyway I thought it worked perfectly fine. Eddie will get a clean win someday, maybe if he turns face. 

The Jungle Boy/"Dax the Axe" (jeeeeeeez Jim, just stop) match was really good, to the point I might go watch it again for further analysis. In fact most of the matches seemed to hit the spot tonight. Weird how it's always every other week. I avoided all non-match stuff minus Moxley and Sting/Darby. Baker is such a shit and indeed has improved so much. 

You can tell Jericho was mad about last week haha

• Like 3

I'M SO PISSED I COULDN'T SEE KINGSTON/ARCHER. 

Edit to make this post a little more worthwhile, but if you look up any YouTube videos of Baltimora performing Tarzan Boy, you should know that the dude who is pretending to sing is not the actual singer! In fact, somebody else in the band did the vocals but was deemed not attractive enough so this other guy who was in the band lip synced it. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Thanks 1