DVDVR Message Board

2021 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

hammerva

Drew Brees has joined NBC Sports

He will work Football Night in America, Notre Dame games and will reportedly pop-up on other NBC Sporting events (the Olympics was specifically mentioned)

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, Kuetsar said:

Pro Football Network? What did he kill a hooker or something?

That 6 AM timeslot on ESPN probably isn't looking so bad now.

(Supposedly, the Golic and Wingo show ended after Trey told the network he didn't like the hours and wasn't going to sign a new contract.  I think he expected the network to give him a better assignment, but  that didn't happen.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eoae said:

That 6 AM timeslot on ESPN probably isn't looking so bad now.

(Supposedly, the Golic and Wingo show ended after Trey told the network he didn't like the hours and wasn't going to sign a new contract.  I think he expected the network to give him a better assignment, but  that didn't happen.)

You say that, but I've heard multiple people say that working morning radio almost killed them.  Being able to wake up at 4AM and have a informed conversation about what happened in a game that started at 10:30 PM is a whole hell of a lot to ask.  

Legit the only person I’ve heard where doing years of morning radio didn’t destroy them (in any type of radio) was Donnie Simpson and that is because Donnie has some bizarro sleep schedule where he sleeps in three hour increments the entire day (never just one solid 7-8 hour block)

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

You say that, but I've heard multiple people say that working morning radio almost killed them.  Being able to wake up at 4AM and have a informed conversation about what happened in a game that started at 10:30 PM is a whole hell of a lot to ask.  

Not surprising.  i listened to Mike and Mike for about 19 years and often wondered how they did the show for that length of time, particularly since, once they got popular, they probably had enough leverage jump to a different network or get moved to a better timeslot.

I can't imagine willingly working that sort of schedule for any length of time. 

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Maybe Golic and Greenberg were just the types to wake up super early anyway, they do exist.

Skip Bayless wakes up at 2AM every day...he's also Skip Bayless.  With that said, I think Skip Bayless is the person in all of the media who has the greatest reputation within the industry and the worst reputation outside of the industry.  I've heard multiple people say that he's always available if they need any kind of professional advice and goes out of his way to support young people, and especially minorities in the industry.  He's also a buffoon.  

He's the greatest actor in history. It's weird when they have Stephen A. on other shows and he's so calm and down to Earth speaking like a rational man instead of just being LOUD FOR THE SAKE OF MY CHARACTER because they pay him too.

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He's the greatest actor in history. It's weird when they have Stephen A. on other shows and he's so calm and down to Earth speaking like a rational man instead of just being LOUD FOR THE SAKE OF MY CHARACTER because they pay him too.

If Skip is the consensus most supportive person in the industry, Stephen A. is the consensus most talented.  He's perfectly capable of having a very entertaining, perfectly reasonable, subdued conversation about almost anything in sports.  He can also flip a switch and become the ranting crazy person who is kind of a cartoon character.  He's the only person I can think of who is equally as talented as a reporter who can hit the streets and find a story and as a talking head who you can wind up and just let him form an instant opinion about any possible subject.  Those are very different things that take very different skills, and he's legitimately great at both.

I might legitimately be the only person this is true of, but I really liked his failed talk show from several years back. I thought Smith was at his absolute best interviewing guests.

But it flopped hard and idiots yelling at other took the fuck off (I also loved Cold Pizza before it slowly morphed into the Skip/Stephen A show that I can't remember the name of)

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I might legitimately be the only person this is true of, but I really liked his failed talk show from several years back. I thought Smith was at his absolute best interviewing guests.

But it flopped hard and idiots yelling at other took the fuck off (I also loved Cold Pizza before it slowly morphed into the Skip/Stephen A show that I can't remember the name of)

I agree with, that talk show was really good and he got people to really open up and talk to him in a way that never happens in sports.  That Allen Iverson interview was incredible.  Iverson is someone who is always interesting, but a big part of what made him so polarizing had nothing to do with him.  It was kind of the first time he had a forum to speak for himself in a long form interview that couldn't be shaped by anyone else.  It's kind of amazing that no one has been successful with the long form athlete interview show, because it's something we never get.

17 hours ago, Ryan said:

Maybe Golic and Greenberg were just the types to wake up super early anyway, they do exist.

I'm one of those people.  In college, I got into the habit of sleeping about five hours a night and never got out of the habit (I'm 47 now).  Typical schedule for me over the past 3 decades has been fall asleep between 1 or 2 am, up between 5:45 and 6:30.  Rarely sleep past 6:30 (no alarm) and probably haven't averaged more than 5 hours of sleep a night in a several decades.  Since the pandemic started, I sleep even less.

I rarely feel tired.  Just sort of the way I'm wired.  That said, I doubt I'd ever take a job that required me to be in the office/studio by 4:30 or 5 am and on the clock at 6.  I listened to Greenie and Golic for all but the first year or so of their radio show and always wondered why they didn't use their clout to get a later timeslot.  Surely, if ESPN wouldn't have given them an afternoon show,  someone else would have.

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think Skip Bayless is the person in all of the media who has the greatest reputation within the industry and the worst reputation outside of the industry.  I've heard multiple people say that he's always available if they need any kind of professional advice and goes out of his way to support young people, and especially minorities in the industry.  He's also a buffoon.  

I met Bayless twice when he was just a Dallas sportswriter (early 90's) and kinda followed his career in the early days of the internet.  Thought he was one of the best sports columnists in the business - along with Mitch Albom, probably - and loved his couple books on the Cowboys.  He seemed to be a pretty sane individual back in those days.  

I also liked Stephen A's talk show.  Dude seems to be extremely talented as a writer and interviewer, and honestly, I usually think he has interesting, intelligent opinions. I'm neutral on SCREAMIN' A, but it's a shame that a lot of people think that's all he can do.

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Brace yourself.   

Jason Whitlock is an anti-vaxxer.   

And your point is....?

Whitlock's always been distrustful of "the man" for as long as I can remember.  I don't agree, and don't see any real upside to not taking the vaccine, but I don't really think it's newsworthy either.

Edited by Eoae

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does he still do the pod with Posnanski?

Yes - in fact the last episode was with Bob Costas so it was one of those ones that baseball purists touched themselves too

On 3/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, dogwelder said:

Dick Stockton is finally retiring after 55 years of broadcasting.

My favorite memory of him is him playing an exhibition tennis match with Jimmy Connors against Andre Agass & somebody. It was a great night, everybody was having fun, and Stockton played great. 

Tremendous broadcaster who could do any sport. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2