DVDVR Message Board

2021 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

hammerva

I like how ESPN's app has "Stephen A's top 5 Marvel movies" featured prominently right now. As if I'm going to read that, or care. Show me "Stephen A's top 5 times he ate his own poop accidentally (but not really accidentally)" and you'll get yourself a click, people.

LZ Granderson is leaving ESPN after 17 years.  His exit post looks back on his career and includes a couple anecdotes regarding mistreatment he's received as a black gay man at ESPN:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/lz-granderson-leaves-espn-after-17-years-“espn-is-not-the-same-company-it-was-when-i-started-and-im-not-the-same-man”/ar-AAMTTGI?li=BBnb7Kz

I had no idea that Jenny Taft was a regular on the dhow till I googled her.  I assumed she was a guest.

It’a a little hard to believe, but I don’t think I’ve ever checked out Skip’s “new” show.  I tend to forget Fox Sports even has a daytime talk lineup. Given that I don’t really need Skip or Colin in my head, that’s probably for the best.

i really liked Skip when he was just a Dallas newspaper reporter.  His books on the Cowboys were quite good too.  He seems to have gone off the deep end since then.

Edited by Eoae

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

He seems to have gone off the door end since then.

I have no idea what the door end is but I sure know that I don't want to go off of it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Typo.  Meant to write "off the deep end."

Nope.  You meant door.  It's OK.  You can admit it.  And continue to frustrate me by not explaining what "door end" means.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jackie MacMullen is retiring (at least from ESPN)

Her last show will be the August 31 Around the Horn

Even well-wishers on Twitter are congratulating her on her retirement... from ESPN.  It feels very much like she's going to end up working somewhere else.  She's only 61.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Max Kellerman is getting booted from First Take.

If you want to know what hell feels like, one of the rumored replacements for Max on First Take is Michael Irvin. 

Yes Screaming A and Michael Irvin together 

Edited by hammerva

Kellrman strikes me as a weird fit for First Take.  He's not as bombastic as Screamin' A - who is? - or as opinionated as Skip.  I'm liked him a lot in other roles and am curious to see how he fits in on Keyshawn's morning show.  I feel like that may be a short-lived gig in the vein of Trey Wingo's run with Mike Golic.  That 6 AM time slot is a killer.  I dunno how Golic did that schedule for 20+ years

Kellerman may have been great on First Take.  I've never watched enough of the show to say

Max is one of my favorite sports journalist / TV personalities. Super smart, thoughtful dude. His radio show with Marcellus Wiley in LA on ESPN 710 is my favorite radio show of all time. I thought he was a good foil for Stephen A...hope Max ends up in a nice spot when this shake up is over.

New York Post says Stephen A ousted Max.  Take with as many grains of salt you need, though I was wondering if it was something like that since ESPN's plan is apparently "rotating guests to spar with Stephen A and we'll find a new co-host eventually".  Doesn't feel like this is part of a larger overhaul or something that's been in the works for awhile.

Holy fuck lol 

I can't tell what's scarier.  Whitlock's full immersion and absorption of full on right-wing political talking points, to the point of making sense to no one outside of the OAN/Newsmax/Fox bubble.   OR... His complete and total obsession with a website that died 2 years ago now that has scary, barely-veiled threats in his rhetoric.  

Mark my words, by the end of the decade, he'll have written something that will get him sued for defamation and/or libel. 

Yeah there is a lot of awful coming from this particular tweet   It is bad enough that there is a high school football game on ESPN.  It is really bad when the team getting squashed by IMG was an 0-6 team last year that played just a couple days ago but played in order to get on national TV and get embarrassed.  How did they get on TV?  Well they lied to ESPN saying that they had Division 1 players on the team.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 4:23 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Mark my words, by the end of the decade, he'll have written something that will get him sued for defamation and/or libel. 

You say that like it would be a bad thing....

• Like 1