DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Huh, I thought the awards were next week.  Oh, well.  I voted but it's all about how the winners react more than anything else.

This might be the first Dynamite I do choose to skip considering today but we'll see how I feel by then.

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Oh shit, my bad. Next week is the awards show.

It's all good.  I honestly thought either they pushed it up to today or my memory was failing me again.  Either one wouldn't surprise me at this point.

I like the boss shitting on Private Party becoming the #1 contenders to the IMPACT tag titles by saying their win on the home promotion's web show is more important. 

He's really living in a good spot, with how super-dicky he and Schiavone are in those paid IMPACT spots, and now being the same kind of shithead on Twitter. He had a super funny, ultra-smackable face on last night when he and Jerry Lynn came out to sit ringside during the #1 contender's match.

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I hope tonight marks the end of politically focused Wednesdays.

I'm happy to get back to the day-to-day politics where you're not constantly on edge because of possible Tweetstorm, and the push for progress isn't smashing up against a narcissistic wannabe fascist fake billionaire manchild, meaning we can focus on more important things like our beloved pro wrestling ???

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I hope tonight marks the end of politically focused Wednesdays.

Ratings wise? Probably not tonight, I think there's a lot of ceremonial stuff people might tune into. But I agree, let's get back to boring. Please. For the love of God.

Looking forward to a very interesting card.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Kind of a whatever show, but still not bad.

The opening segment was a lot of fun. I know objectively Luther isn't good but I honestly kinda like him anyway. He's a big doughy goof with very large midcard IWA Japan vibes, it's my aesthetic.

We get it. You signed Sting. Amazing.

What the fuck was the point of Avalon/Rhodes? That was super disappointing.

Miro making Chuck say "Miro is my best friend now" is the best thing he's been involved with since he showed up. Needed a Million Dollar Man laugh on the end, but still very good.

Main event was a lot of fun. I've really enjoyed Santana and Ortiz a lot in the last few months. MJF is the one guy in wrestling who was smart enough to make his gimmick "winning matches".

• Like 2

That wasn't my favorite, but there were some really fun moments.

Layla Hirsch belongs in Team Taz like no one else in wrestling. Just a matter of time.

Mox looked crisp. Looking forward to having him back on the reg.

I still don't understand the appeal of Kenny Omega. Give it all the bells and whistles you want, it's still Kenny Omega. 

Santana & Ortiz are so damn good. Vastly underrated and are due for a push. 

The "Miro is my best friend now" thing was fantastic. 

• Like 1

The opening twenty minutes were just the right amount of wholesome goofiness all up until the heart-wrenching ending of Hangman opting to stay alone (for now) out of fear of losing friends again. Great stuff.

AEW obviously wants to spread out the appearances of Sting. All of his gigs after the debut could probably have been compressed into one segment but I guess they just want to have him on every week even if he's not doing anything of note. Come on, just do something!

I liked the silly ending of Cody and Avalon but why not just make it short if Cody wins anyway after being interrupted? I would have loved to see Cody loose here. If you wanna go the route of the stupid wrestler and referee being completely distracted by music, then just let Avalon go for the low blow and quick dirty roll up win. It wouldn’t hurt Cody, further the storyline with Storm and would give Avalon something to heelishly brag about in the future. Hanging in there for a few minutes after getting the unfair advantage and loosing does nothing more for Avalon a quick squash wouldn’t have done anyway.

I kinda like new heel Matt Hardy and maybe Private Party can become a bit more interesting with this heel turn but I really don’t care that much about any of these six men. Also, some really rough spots.

Kip might not be the most interesting wrestler so far but he’s one of the best managers in wrestling. Minor nitpick: Penelope should not be wearing purple and black when you have the Dark Order on your roster. Leyla Hirsch is great and should be a fantastic babyface ass kicker in the future. Passive aggressive super friendly Miro entertains me.

Sammy showing up Jericho and his overall performance was nice. Hager stomping Jericho to the ground was nice. Hager punching out MJF was nice. Jericho getting closer to killing himself with the Lionsault every time he hits it is frightening. Santana and Ortiz getting overshadowed by Sammy, Jericho and MJF sucks because Santana and Ortiz need more time in the spotlight but from a storytelling standpoint it’s probably the best call to have MJF win it dirty.

Not one of the strongest weeks of Dynamite. The opener was the highlight of the show, Penelope/Hirsch and the Inner Circle main event was fine as well, but everything between was lacking or just kinda uneventful.

PS I: The look of Butcher and Blade was fantastic. Oh, and Archer with the Suzuki Gun jacket!

PS II: I can now spend one week thinking about Hangman maybe saving Dark Order from a beatdown by The Bullet Club/The Elite.

• Like 1

Cody sux. Hirsch is good and they should do more with her (and a few other women, like uh the champ), Charles Taylor, lol, the Callis painting was incredible and that angle continues to unfold in a fun manner, and the opener was good and the angle afterwards was funny followed by immediate heartbreak (he doesn't feel like he can be loved, dammit!). Top flight are already crazy but they're going to be so good. That early match dropkick, wow! The match was a li'l sloppy but Big Money Matt turning PP heel was desperately needed.  Main event was a bit rushed and it feels like Santana and Ortiz are wrongfully after thoughts and have been for months, but you knew what was happening beforehand especially when they had a custom mixed entrance song. Sammy got lots of shine and hit one of the nicest swanton bombs I've ever seen. 

Gallows gonna go crazy in that beach break main event.

JR is miserable. He sounded like he would rather be anywhere tonight and at times came off as mocking the people and storylines he's supposed to build up. Fuck outta here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The opening segment was a lot of fun. I know objectively Luther isn't good but I honestly kinda like him anyway. He's a big doughy goof with very large midcard IWA Japan vibes, it's my aesthetic.

Much to my surprise, Chaos Project has turned out to be a pretty fun undercard act.  I feel like Luther is due a critical re-evaluation, at this point.  He found his level and embraced it, and its bizarrely entertaining.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

the push for progress isn't smashing up against a narcissistic wannabe fascist fake billionaire manchild,

No, RAW is on Mondays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

?? Luther is the man. He and Serpentico let Reynolds take a nasty bump on that dive though, Jesus. 

Can't wait to see how Adam Page eventually joins the DO. I refuse to believe it ends like this. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Fun opener, dug the finishing sequence. Looking forward to Darby & Sting vs. Team Taz takin' it to the streets! the Hardy Party/Sydal Flight six man was my favorite match, lots of cool spots. Loved Hardy's Side Effect train and trying to pin all three at once. Leyla/Penelope was pretty good, nice to see Ford back in the ring on Dynamite. Enjoyed the main event. When JR brought up the time limit and then I saw the show was almost over, I almost thought they were really going to go the TV limit and go off the air without a winner, would've been unique. MJF/Jericho tag remix was kind of cool, gotta love the Sammy Hager cameo.