DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling - 1/19/21

It was alright, too. Susan wearing white and yellow Adidas (I think?) with the suit was strange, but whatever. 

James Storm is back. Which is funny because I was just watching him bleed damn near to death in TNA from years ago. 

Taya both admitted and got arrested for attempted murder while Dreamer soliloquized about which prison she was gonna end up in. This promotion is batshit. And now it appears they finally hooked up Rosemary and Crazzy Steve, which seems like a no-brainer. 

Jerry Lynn also showed up with Tony Khan to stare and nod. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the highlights but I thought Matt Hardy turned on them in AEW.  Or maybe he just insulted them greatly and they decided to just take it. 

He got them to sign contracts where he gets 30% and things have been pretty contentious.  But despite that they're going with it thinking it'll somehow help them.  I think it'll lead to them having enough of his shit at some point but to be honest it's not one of their better stories.

I didn't like Josh Matthews on commentary when he had to play an over the top character on one side.  When he just doing his job I thought he was good.  Problem was most of the time it sounds like a husband and wife team bickering a lot.   The biggest problem with Striker is that always seems to surround himself with people that want to be friends with him.   He really needs someone to call him on his over the top bullshit and his alternative facts.   A heel commentator like Madison would have been better

I would like to think that IMPACT brought in Private Party because they AEW didn't have much to do at the time.  My guess is that he looked at locker room and saw that Matt Hardy was there and said "perfect" .  The problem is that besides him, Tazz (that nobody wants to see again), and Brian Cage I that logic is terrible

Edited by hammerva

Good show with a nice 'anything can happen' kind of vibe. Cool to see the interpromotional stuff continue. Seeing Matt Hardy back in Impact made me wish he was still Broken.

Very sad to see the end of Taya Valkyrie in Impact. One of my all time favorite knockouts, her and Deonna were the current top two. She was the absolute best in 2019 with only Tessa rivaling her, and also had my favorite entrance and theme in Impact. She will be missed and I can only imagine how she'll be wasted in WWE. 

Full results:

Spoiler

Impact Wrestling - January 19, 2021 

*Eric Young (w/ Joe Doering & Deaner) def. Rhino (w/ Cousin Jake) (4:04) via heel hook submission. After the match, Young, Doering, & Deaner beatdown Rhino & Jake. They stomped Rhino's ankle in a steel chair.

*Impact Tag Champs The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) came to the ring for a promo. They put over their win with Omega and said they would hold the tag titles as long as they want. Chris Sabin interrupted and argued with them. Sabin introduced James Storm as his partner to challenge them. Big Money Matt Hardy & Private Party interrupted. Matt took credit for Impact and wanted to get Private Party a title shot. Gallows & Anderson decided on the two teams facing off for #1 contendership.

*Kimber Lee & Susan (w/ Deonna Purrazzo) def. Jordynne Grace & Jazz (11:00) when Susan pinned Jazz with a rollup after Deonna hit Jazz with the knockouts title behind the ref's back.

*Impact Worlds Champ Rich Swann came to the ring for a promo. Swann talked about leading Impact into war against AEW and then moved on to his feud with Moose. Swann called out Moose to settle things once and for all. Moose came out with a warning to Rich. Swann wanted to give Moose his title shot right now but Moose decided that he would say when and it would be on his time. Swann said he didn't come to talk and attacked Moose, sending him from the ring.

*Brian Myers def. Fallah Bahh (4:16) with the Clothesline after a low blow behind the ref's back.

*Private Party (Isiah Kassidy & Marq Quen w/ Matt Hardy) def. Chris Sabin & James Storm (15:06) with the Gin and Juice on Sabin after AEW Agent Jerry Lynn interfered while Matt distracted the ref, to become #1 contenders to the Impact Tag Team Championships. After the match, Gallows & Anderson came out for a staredown and ended up in a brawl with both teams while Matt, Lynn, and Tony Khan watched on from ringside.

• Like 1

Taya is going to WWE?! I was all "is she going to Mexico again?" 

Well, maybe they can stick her with Morrison and he can do something halfway interesting. It's WWE though so that'll probably die on the vine like everything he does there.

Her on the other hand, there is a huge upside working there. She is just their body and hair type, is a killer heel, and can work and talk. There are feuds aplenty waiting for her. Is she gonna have to do the usual NXT run or are they bumping her to main roster?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Taya is going to WWE?! I was all "is she going to Mexico again?" 

Well, maybe they can stick her with Morrison and he can do something halfway interesting. It's WWE though so that'll probably die on the vine like everything he does there.

Her on the other hand, there is a huge upside working there. She is just their body and hair type, is a killer heel, and can work and talk. There are feuds aplenty waiting for her. Is she gonna have to do the usual NXT run or are they bumping her to main roster?

I assumed she'd go to nxt and that her being 37 already would work against her in wwe. And yeah I thought the comparison being to look at what they have done with Morrison which has been absolutely awful. 

Pretty fun episode! Matt and Private Party coming out caught me off guard. 

Bummed that Taya is leaving but I'm not sure what else there is for her to do in the promotion aside from a tag title run but who knows. I have no clue how she'll work in other promotions aside from Mexico.

• Like 1