DVDVR Message Board

UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar (1/16/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In addition to that, a new record: 24 UFC appearances without getting knocked down. Amazing more so when you consider Blessed has fought Conor McGregor, Jeremy Stephens, Anthony Pettis, Jose Aldo, Dustin Poirier and Calvin Kattar. That's one of the GOAT chins.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Not going to lie, as a Holloway fan that thought he won the rematch with Volkanovski, I still thought his best days were behind him. Goddamn he did not look like his best days are behind him.   

I'm also a Max Holloway fan who thought Blessed won the rematch with Volkanovski. 

• Like 1

Right now, there's only one guy in the UFC who's proven himself capable of punching someone in the head 300 times in a fight and that guy is Max Holloway. But most of the records Max broke were not old records, top-tier MMA boxing has been evolving exponentially since the days of GSP figuring out what a jab is, and there are plenty of young volume punchers waiting to ascend to ranks that will allow them to use their five-round cardio.

Which brings me to my next point - there is exactly one way MMA corners will start throwing in towels. We will reach that point once a fighter dies from injuries sustained during a broadcast UFC fight. No more, no less, and it will happen.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Corner or referee needed to stop the fight in the fourth. Round two was a bad round for Kattar while four was even worse. Fight went to a decision through Kattar's toughness. I wouldn't take issue with 10-7 scorecard for both those rounds. Ditto for the opening round to Edgar vs. Maynard II. Those are the only rounds in MMA history you could score a 10-7.

Edited by The Natural

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar (1/16/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)
2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Corner or referee needed to stop the fight in the fourth. Round two was a bad round for Kattar while four was even worse. Fight went to a decision through Kattar's toughness. I wouldn't take issue with 10-7 scorecard for both those rounds. Ditto for the opening round to Edgar vs. Maynard II. Those are the only rounds in MMA history you could score a 10-7.

You are vastly under reporting the number of one sided drubbings over the years.  Seriously, go back and watch the first round of GSP vs. Fitch, and tell me that isn't one of the most brutal beatings you've ever watched.  Fitch is hurt worse than Kattar was, and is getting beat on by someone who is a much bigger hitter in comparison.  Edgar vs. Maynard is crazy, but there are quite a few really bad one round dominations over the years.  

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

You are vastly under reporting the number of one sided drubbings over the years.  Seriously, go back and watch the first round of GSP vs. Fitch, and tell me that isn't one of the most brutal beatings you've ever watched.  Fitch is hurt worse than Kattar was, and is getting beat on by someone who is a much bigger hitter in comparison.  Edgar vs. Maynard is crazy, but there are quite a few really bad one round dominations over the years.  

I forgot that one.

A must see video. Dana White's right in all he says but I'd add the corner should have thrown the towel into the Octagon as well. It's the worst one sided battering I've ever watched in my time watching MMA over Holloway/Ortega and Gaethje/Ferguson. I'm still concerned for Calvin Kattar.

• Like 1