DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2021.

The Natural

NJPW New Beginning in Nagoya. 30th January.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Satoshi Kojima vs. Will Ospreay.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Great-O-Khan.

Kota Ibushi, Tomoaki Honma, SHO & Master Wato vs. SANADA, Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI.

Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano vs. EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi.

NJPW New Beginning in Hiroshima Night One. 10th February.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. SHO.

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.

Kota Ibushi & Tomoaki Honma vs. SANADA & Tetsuya Naito.

Kazuchika Okada, Toru Yano, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, Dick Togo, Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo.

BUSHI vs. Master Wato.

Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura & Gabriel Kidd.

NJPW New Beginning in Hiroshima Night Two. 11th February 2021.

IWGP Heavyweight & IWGP Intercontinental double title match: Kota Ibushi (c) vs. SANADA.

Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr. & DOUKI vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Jado.

Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano vs. EVIL & Dick Togo.

Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI vs. Tomoaki Honma, SHO & Master Wato.

Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo.

Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura & Gabriel Kidd.

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

Jr. Tag title match started rather well and in the middle it turned into peak Yano match. I think it is one of those "love it or hate it" matches. Either this was a stand out show in this long Road To tour.

The only issue I had with it was the Eddie Guerrerro spot where they teased the DQ because they have essentially established that in NJ it's essentially ECW rules where there is almost nothing that will cause a DQ. Another thing is that with crowds that can't do anything but clap doing heavy heel stuff is much harder to work because to work you need the crowd reaction and under current circumstances you can't get that.

• Like 1

I'll be supporting Hiroshi Tanahashi as he's in my top ten Greatest Wrestlers of All Time, it'll be interesting to see him defending the NEVER Openweight Championship and it gives Tanahashi something to do. I say that as I doubt the IWGP Intercontinental Championship will be split from the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and Kota Ibushi isn't losing that any time soon. In fact, I think he'll walk into Wrestle Kingdom 16 defending champion.

6 minutes ago, alstein said:

ELP was lovably cringy and hilarious at times tonight on commentary.  Tana/Shingo delivered hard.

Haven't watched the match yet. Was Tanahashi/Takagi a first time ever match? Foggy brain today.

Spoiler

Really loved Kojima v Ospreay and the main. Kojima still could have an upper card veteran run or at least one more G1. 

I hope Tanahashi has a long reign wrestling everyone from heavies like Cobb and O-Khan to guys like SHO and Despy 

1 minute ago, alstein said:

As a singles yes.  I think they did tags in NJPW and I think a one-time in DG.

Cheers. I look forward to watching Takagi vs. Tanahashi. I looked forward to it more than any match in 2021 so far.

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks @alstein and @Horangi for not giving the results away. How did Takagi/Tanahashi compare to Takagi/Cobb, Naito/Ibushi and Ibushi/White from Wrestle Kingdom?

Hmmm I definitely liked it more than the Ibushi dome matches, but I'd need to rewatch the Shingo/Cobb match to make a fair call. I'm leaning towards Shingo/Cobb as I kinda prefer the NEVER 15-20 minute wars. 

Shingo/Tana was very much a New Japan epic main event and awesome in its own right though. 

Edited by Horangi
Typo fix, damn sake
  • Like 2