DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

Just a funny note regarding podcasts, some questions on Meltzer's mailbag segments make it really obvious the age of the questioners.  Like whenever I hear a question about whether Piper, Orndorff, etc. should have gotten a quick run with the world title back in the 80s, I am positive we're dealing with a younger viewer who started watching in the late 90s or later. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

It is interesting to think if the  80's were booked like today with the "drop the title to the heel so the Champ can win it back" formula (or if 80's WWF was books more similar to Flair in the NWA at the same period) how many guys would have had short runs, Piper, Orndorff probably maybe Bundy or Earthquake 

• Like 1

If WWF in the 80s were booked like WWE today, Challenge, Superstars, and SNME would all have their own, near worthless, world titles, all your favorite iconic 80s tag teams would have broken up after 6 months, and Steve Lombardi would be on his 4th IC title reign and nobody would care. ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

It is interesting to think if the  80's were booked like today with the "drop the title to the heel so the Champ can win it back" formula (or if 80's WWF was books more similar to Flair in the NWA at the same period) how many guys would have had short runs, Piper, Orndorff probably maybe Bundy or Earthquake 

Perfect and Rude, if we're talking late 80's.

I feel like Orton would be in the Perfect/Rude category if he'd come along 20-25 years earlier,  Pushed strongly and long runs with the secondary belt, but maybe not the world title?  That's not a knock on Orton.  I rate him a lot higher than most on the board.

Conversely, in the late 200's, Dino Bravo might have been a two or three-time world champ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Hey, @The Natural On Renee's podcast they re-aired an episode that Emilio did with Brodie and Amanda.  If you want to hear them talk married couple stuff and just chilling out then it's a nice episode to listen to.

Cheers, @NikoBaltimore. I'm not normally in this thread so thanks for letting me know!

• Like 1

Listening to Jerichos interview with Anthrax and its the first time i've heard his show in a while. When did he start inserting sponsor names into the question? "Our friends at Geico would like to know..." in what is obviously a different recording placed over whatever he actually said while talking to them. It sounds awful.

Ok, im listening to this right now and one just made me laugh at how ridiculous it is.

One of the band members is talking and says "...we shouldve been that band that was on Lollapalooza..." and an obvious Jericho overdub says "Geico thinks so too" before going back to the band member.

So tacky.

Edited by bazzil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

Listening to Jerichos interview with Anthrax and its the first time i've heard his show in a while. When did he start inserting sponsor names into the question? "Our friends at Geico would like to know..." in what is obviously a different recording placed over whatever he actually said while talking to them. It sounds awful.

I agree with your sizzling hot take, and you know what else is sizzling? These steaks I received from Omaha Steaks. By the time I finish this plate, I’ll have just shit a brick in my MeUndies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

The last thing I remember about RD Reynolds is when he did that debate with Bischoff and Reynolds came off like a total loser and clown. Bischoff is the easiest target and Reynolds completely failed and looked like an idiot.

33 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

I figured with Blade passing RD would use this to stop the podcast.

You can't replace Blade, and kudos to RD for not trying to do so.

The subject has been revealed - they're going to be talking about the 1960's TV version of Batman.

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

You can't replace Blade, and kudos to RD for not trying to do so.

The subject has been revealed - they're going to be talking about the 1960's TV version of Batman.

I agree. Hell for the last 4 years of the show I only listened cause of Blade.

Kenny omega on wrestling observer radio was very interesting. Two hours and he’s quite intelligent and honest. Only caught three quarters. 

-Kenny says when looking on who to mold himself on to do American tv, instead of ric flair it was Mr. perfect. Of course mr perfect has incredible matches with Bret hart, but he also wrestled hulk Hogan and ultimate warrior and Texas tornado and they are all good matches, and he makes them all look good. And mr perfect and Bobby heenan, omega has don Callis. 

-He compared nakamura and callis as gi who have outside interests bigger than wrestling, so that gives them a different perspective when they come to wrestling. They don’t mimic stuff from the last like other wrestlers who are just all about wrestling. 

-Complaining about commercials. He was watching the show the other day and noticed all the commercials were like these wacky slapstick commercials with silly music, but the match is a street fight, and then the fans have to get zapped right back to that with that in their head. 

-He wants rampage to be more for women wrestlers, but that doesn’t mean it will be that way. Everyone (male and female) is fighting really hard for the limited spots. 

-In the beginning they would have scheduled meetings and hash things out. Now if someone has an idea, they discuss it with the people the idea is about, then they discuss it with Tony, then they continue discussing it as weeks for by. 

-Talking about long term storytelling. You see tv shows that get cancelled and then years later they come back. If you leave stories open ended you can always return to them. He has open stories with now hangman, ibushi, aj styles, white, tanahashi. 

-Dave is saying all the matches can be done in the United States because the way the crowd is, when any of these guys come out a large amount will react like this is huge, and then that makes everyone who doesn’t know them feel like they are seeing something special, which makes the tv audience think it’s a big deal. 

-Kenny omega vs Okada 5 “already happened in their minds” and they would have made it like a cool final ending. It could happen in the future and as Dave says they’ve never done that match here and everyone wants to see it. 

-He held back so much in the jungle boy match so they can take the rematch to a completely different level.

-He’s at peace with winding down his career so he just wants to make his opponents look great. 

-Talkingabout how in new japan they see guys like goto and say he’s too old or ishii could just never be champion, and Kenny is like they’re awesome let’s just get behind them and give them big wins. Naito should’ve been way stronger champion. 

-For g1 they have unspoken rule, they don’t want to drop out of the tournament. They have to have amazing matches but they can’t get too injured. It’s just like the playoffs for a sport. 

I still haven’t listened to last half hour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey I got a drinking game. Whenever Kris Zellner gets on a tangent about ratings compared to today, drink a whole pint of Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Edit: Boy that conversation they had in the middle of the recent show about Nick Khan, and the state of affairs with WWE was interesting. It’s kinda the same thoughts I had about the company ever since Disney bought Star Wars, and how they were setting the WWE up to be in that same category of potential sale. It’ll be interesting what form they take under different ownership.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1