DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

So part of this is me letting @BobbyWhioux know about this but another part is me just pointing something wonderful.

This week Cassie and Jessica (feels weird not saying Peyton and Billie Kay) were guests on Renee's pod on Tuesday.  Then today they guest hosted and interviewed Tay Conti and Anna Jay.  While I wish it went longer it was so great hearing two sets of best friends gush over each other.  I didn't know I wanted them to face each other until today.  But more than that I would love to see them in an 8-woman tag where they go up against a crew of villainous heels.

• Like 3

New Way of the Blade

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/934892a0-bb32-493a-9334-203a0bec7a10

Talking with Joshua Bishop about his killer I Quit match against Dom Garrini at AIW Mania weekend 2019. Really fun pod where Josh tells me all of the insane ideas he had which they left on the drawing board.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Phil Schneider said:

I had Tony Khan on the podcast today to discuss Ric Flair vs. Ted DiBiase, we talk about booking wrestling TV, his DVDVR past and much more

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/173fa5e9-8321-4bdc-a5e7-5288fa292ba0

Listening to this podcast made me feel incredibly nostalgic and old.  Listening to the tail end about the Dustin of the Day stuff, how much of the old posts are currently known/saved?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Seconding that. Since they’ve changed the format to a chronological walk through Arn’s career it’s been fantastic. Arn talking WWE and modern stuff did nothing for me but Arn talking about how bad the roads were between Alexandria and Lake Charles is just my game 

Arn talking about Jim Nelson aka Boris Zhukov eating 21 pieces of fried chicken a day and passing out afterwards when they were living in Pensacola had me in stitches too. And the fact when Arn would ask Nelson where to get chicken from, Nelson would always answer in his Iron Sheik voice, "Tventy von peeces!"

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AnyKey said:

Listening to this podcast made me feel incredibly nostalgic and old.  Listening to the tail end about the Dustin of the Day stuff, how much of the old posts are currently known/saved?

Not as many as I hoped, we have three or four which we will print in the book, if anyone can find others we would be eternally grateful. 

Tell Bully Ray to go fuck Bully Ray. Dude is also one to talk given the mountain of shit he's said over the years. I have exactly 0 interest in ever seeing him on TV again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

His beef with Eddie's promo. I do agree with him that he doesn't need to drop down to the lowest rung on the ladder. You can hype up your crowd and the locker room without tossing garbage at the competition.

i haven't listened to the Bully Ray bit, mo i may be off here, but the guy who got over via ECW promos where he talked racist and sexist shit to the crowd should probably not be telling anyone else not to "drop down to the lowest rung"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:15 AM, Technico Support said:

Speaking of old Austin podcasts, does anyone remember the details of why Austin fired his first producer?  I remember there was an episode where Austin went off on a touchy issue and gave his opinion on it for a while, and the belief was he fired the guy because that should have been edited off the show before broadcast, maybe. What was Austin talking about in that segment again?  I actually heard the whole thing but it's been years and I can't remember.

i remember that, but not exactly what the topic was. i have a very vague recollection that it might have had something to do with America firing missiles somewhere? he actually says something like "cut this out" but it wasnt.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, twiztor said:

i haven't listened to the Bully Ray bit, mo i may be off here, but the guy who got over via ECW promos where he talked racist and sexist shit to the crowd should probably not be telling anyone else not to "drop down to the lowest rung"

I once saw Bully Ray cut a promo challenging a guy with Down's Syndrome to jump the rail and fight him so when it comes to being on the lowest rung, he's not even on the frickin ladder.

• Like 7

Bully Ray is saying on Twitter that Kingston "couldn't survive" in a ring with him, and that he'd "beat him up, blow him up, stretch him and expose him".

He's working, obviously, but I think Eddie would say fuck you and legitimately beat the shit out of him in-ring.

• Haha 4

Time to mark out.

Colt Cabana used the story I recorded for his Wrestling Anonymous podcast.

If you listen.  It’s the one about “Jesus H. Christ”. 

?

Edit: DOH!  I suppose it might be helpful if I mentioned the name of the actual episode.  It’s “Virgil the Hustler”. 

Edited by Brandon Bones
Doh!
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Time to mark out.

Colt Cabana used the story I recorded for his Wrestling Anonymous podcast.

If you listen.  It’s the one about “Jesus H. Christ”. 

?

Thanks for the heads-up.  Your post led me to check Downcast, where I realized I must have swiped right on the actual podcast and not the just the episode last week, which had caused me to unknowingly unsubscribe!  If I hadn't read this, I would've probably gone weeks without realizing!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, twiztor said:

The promo at Heat Wave 99 nearly got the company kicked off of PPV.

When they were here in South Bend, Bubba cut a super rapey and racist promo, saying shit like he was going to have D-Von shove his big black dick in this girl's mouth to shut her up. It's one of the few times I was in a location where I thought there was going to be a riot.

I don't listen to the New Day podcast, but someone posted a clip on Reddit about John Cena and Roman Reigns.... clashing... over Clash of Clans. It's hilarious and wholesome and kind of weird to imagine Cena really into a video game like this.

Cena convinced a lot of the guys to join his clan. Apparently Cena dropped A LOT of money on the game, and Billy Kidman sunk five figures into it. Big E said a lot of them were "scared" going to TV because Cena would give them looks of disappointment if they didn't do well in battles in the game. Cena would sit beside someone, right after a match, and say "you did a lot better in that match than you did in that war". ? He bought everyone shirts and bumper stickers and shit with their clan name on it. Miro, Cody, Brandi, the Ascension, etc. were all a part of that clan. Roman was a part of the clan too apparently, then stopped playing, and secretly formed his own clan (both Usos also left and joined Roman). Cena got really mad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Yeah - we talked about it a little earlier in the thread.

Those who watched the earlier days of UUDD were especially delighted because it gave more context to videos like this

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 2:55 PM, Casey said:

Bully Ray is saying on Twitter that Kingston "couldn't survive" in a ring with him, and that he'd "beat him up, blow him up, stretch him and expose him".

He's working, obviously, but I think Eddie would say fuck you and legitimately beat the shit out of him in-ring.

I think it would be way funnier - and better for wrestling in general - if Eddie and AEW just straight up no-sold Bully Ray's attempts at trying to insert himself into an angle and thus don't do jack shit to help Bully Ray make money off of any of this.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 3:20 PM, Craig H said:

When they were here in South Bend, Bubba cut a super rapey and racist promo, saying shit like he was going to have D-Von shove his big black dick in this girl's mouth to shut her up. It's one of the few times I was in a location where I thought there was going to be a riot.

He very nearly caused a riot with the promo I was talking about. He insulted the few women who were there and then got on the Down's Syndrome guy. And what's crazy is that the guy was fucking huge. I mean, he was like 6'7 and near 300lbs. He was actually trying to come down and fight and the security guards and his friends were holding him back. Bubba kept egging him on and the security guards were super annoyed by it. They were like, "dude, shut the fuck up or help because this guy is a giant!" So they very nearly had the boyfriends of the women he insulted rushing the ring in addition to the mentally challenged guy.

Edited by cwoy2j

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He very nearly caused a riot with the promo I was talking about. He insulted the few women who were there and then got on the Down's Syndrome guy. And what's crazy is that the guy was fucking huge. I mean, he was like 6'7 and near 300lbs. He was actually trying to come down and fight and the security guards and his friends were holding him back. Bubba kept egging him on and the security guards were super annoyed by it. They were like, "dude, shut the fuck up or help because this guy is a giant!" So they very nearly had the boyfriends of the women he insulted rushing the ring in addition to the mentally challenged guy.

The mentally challenged guy you are referring to in that last part is Bubba right?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

The mentally challenged guy you are referring to in that last part is Bubba right?

If there was ever an example of "bad heat" that night was it. We were a bunch of drunk 19 year old assholes who were used to watching Vince Russo written RAWs in the midst of a bunch of ECW mutants and other assorted Florida Man type people and everyone there was like, "too far dude, too far."

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1