DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

23 hours ago, elizium said:

Mr. Hughes maybe? From when he first started in WWE?

Ah!  Yes, that’s probably it.  Thanks!

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What?  He didn't do that on the Austin show. Was he ribbing them?

He’s done it before on their show, but don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t constant.  Just once in a while he’d throw one out there and it would just sound so weird.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

The WWE posted this Usos vs. Breezango match yesterday

The reason I mention it is because Tyler Breeze told a neat story about it on the New Day podcast last year (Episode 22)

The teams had a long series match planned out with a "dramatic" finish and then when they get to the arena they are told "hey do a comedy match". The way Breeze tells it - they had to put together the match in 15 minutes and everyone else left it to Breeze to put it together (they called him "Agent Breeze")

Big E legit said it was one of his favorite matches to watch because he knew the whole backstory.

• Like 6

Chelsea Green talked about her broken arm injuries on her podcasts and since someone transcribed it - here ya go

Chelsea Green on her podcast talked about her second broken arm suffered in her Smackdown debut (WrestlingNews.co transcription) and the surgery to remove the plate that she underwent last week, which made sense to get done now given she can’t wrestle until mid-July anyway. “Here we are, a week out from surgery. I got the plate removed in my arm. Honestly, I could not be happier. I really haven’t spoken about this much, aside from commenting on the people who said that I was injury prone, which really f***ing pisses me off. I haven’t commented on it because I haven’t felt the need, but now that I have my own podcast, why would I not talk about it? Why would we not dive into it? One thing that I should say is that I went to an appointment last Friday before my surgery, and I was in a little bit of pain. Well, I was in a lot of pain, but I didn’t say that to the doctor. After doing some further X-rays, we realized that my bones do not like having a plate in. My bones were rejecting this plate. My bones did not want this plate in my body, so essentially, judging from the X-ray, my bones were going the opposite direction. I was swelling out of my arm. The doctor said we need to have emergency surgery. We need to get this taken out. Really, I probably should have that the first time around when I broke my arm. If you guys don’t know, I have broken my arm twice since being in WWE. The first time I broke it was in an NXT debut match. The second go around was in my SmackDown debut match, so I have terrible luck, and that’s just how it is. I’ve learned to live with it, but, this is all making sense now why this broke a second time because my body needed that plate removed. I should have never kept it in. You live and you learn. So, I wanted to take you back to that day that I got a call from SmackDown writers and everybody else on SmackDown to tell me I was debuting. Oh my gosh, guys, one of the best days of my life because, if you know me, you know I have had 101 debuts. Don’t call it a debut, right? This was going to be my final debut on the main roster, and I was going to show everyone that I was destined to be a mother fu**ing superstar. I get this call the night before around 11 p.m. on Thursday, debuting on Friday. On Thursday I get a call telling me ‘Tentatively we have you debuting tomorrow. We have you in a potential four or five way match to qualify for Survivor Series.’ Survivor Series is one of the main PPVs within WWE. I was obviously very excited. I head to SmackDown. I got a call from my writer. He said, ‘We’ve narrowed it down. It’s going to be a four way match. You are in this match with three other women and you are going to be qualifying for Survivor Series.’ Obviously, that’s an absolute dream, not only to debut and win, but qualify for Survivor Series. I’m automatically in my first PPV. I guess not my first because I did the Rumble, but my first that’s going to last more than 14 seconds, or so I thought. I get this call. I’m so excited. As he’s about to hang up, my writer tells me, ‘Oh, and your name is Victorious’, and I laughed. I didn't think he was serious. I didn’t really even know what he said. He said, ‘Yep, your name is Victorious. Vince decided on it.’ I was like, ‘Oh, ok.’ He hangs up. I’m thinking, did I hear that right? Victorious? Am I Victorious? That’s my new name? It took me 5 or 10 minutes, but I kind of fell in love with it. At first, I’m not going to lie, I was a little iffy. Victorious? I really don’t understand. It kind of sounds like a ‘90s stripper, and then I’m like, you know what? I kind of love those ‘90s stripper vibes, right? Why wouldn’t I? And, I love a good pun. You know me. The Hot Mess loves a good pun. The amount of things that I could come up with that had to do with Victorious, or the fact that I’m from Victoria, B.C. Canada, I just thought it was perfect. I head to work. I’m into it. I’m into Victorious. I get to work. I’m so excited, nervous, the whole day is kind of a blur because we have so many things we have to do, especially when we are debuting. We have to get our entrance right and our entrance music right. Johnny Ace helped me come up with my entrance and get that locked down. We had to come up with our match. Fast forward. We start wrestling. I take Liv’s dropkick off the apron. I jumped down. I landed on my feet, totally fine. I rolled back, just like I normally would. Unfortunately, when I rolled back, like I had said earlier, my bones were not reacting well to the plate in my arm, and we didn’t know. None of us knew. We had no idea that my bone was swelling and rejecting the plate. When I rolled back and put my arm down, it could have been anything. I could have done anything athletic. I could have broken this by lifting a barbell at the gym. It just happened to be on live television, during SmackDown, during my debut. There it went, and it snapped. It was really rough. Obviously, I was in a lot of pain, but I was more annoyed. I think Tamina could even vouch for that. I was sitting on the ground, holding my arm, telling her ‘I broke my arm. I can’t get back in this match.’ I think she could see the anger in my face. She was so good at calming me down and letting the referee know, and trying to let the girls know, which were Nattie and Liv, that I couldn't get back in. I felt so bad at that moment, watching them in the ring, knowing that I should be in there, and knowing that truly nobody knows what’s going on except me and the doctor, who rushed to hold my arm.

It is very wrestling podcast that on the same week we get the Kim woods interview that almost everyone enjoyed we got Meltzer interview Bruce Mitchell 

I don't expect Bruce to have calm down his tin foil conspiracy about Tony Khan and the Brodie Lee death. Probably makes it worse for the attention 

Apparently it's mostly Mitchell rewriting history and downplaying what a complete arsehole he was being.

21 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is very wrestling podcast that on the same week we get the Kim woods interview that almost everyone enjoyed we got Meltzer interview Bruce Mitchell 

I don't expect Bruce to have calm down his tin foil conspiracy about Tony Khan and the Brodie Lee death. Probably makes it worse for the attention 

Dave spent the first 10 minutes of the radio last night apologizing for the episode and saying it was entirely his idea. (Part of this is because Alvarez and Garrett are getting secondary shrapnel)

Of course since it is Dave - it is also mush mouthed and, why well intentioned, also not exactly the best apology either

Guess who Sonny Kiss' favourite band of all time is?

Because you're probably wrong, unless you guessed

Spoiler

Limp Bizkit

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Man, I never thought about my body rejecting a plate when I had one screwed into my arm. That would have driven me out of my mind with worry. 

It happened to my old man. He snapped his lower leg messing around playing football with his buddies, got 2 pins in his bone. Woke up one day in agony and the pins were pushing his skin out. His body literally rejecting the pins. My mom says it was like something out of a horror flick.  My Dad loves to tell that story because he’s gross.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Sad 2

I'd probably tell that story all the time too haha

On 5/16/2021 at 5:26 PM, WholeFnMachine said:

Listening to MVP on the After the Bell podcast and apparently he loves NY hardcore and name checked Agnostic Front and Bad Brains and said he’s going to do a hardcore album!

This blew my mind.

Hoo boy. I hope this doesn't sound like 25 Ta Life or something.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, RIPPA said:

Dave spent the first 10 minutes of the radio last night apologizing for the episode and saying it was entirely his idea. (Part of this is because Alvarez and Garrett are getting secondary shrapnel)

Of course since it is Dave - it is also mush mouthed and, why well intentioned, also not exactly the best apology either

Apparently Amanda Huber had the same thoughts about it as well based on her Instagram post about it.   Clearly Meltzer's and Mitchell plan of treating this like "let by gone be gone" failed miserably

Edited by hammerva

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Apparently Amanda Huber had the same thoughts about it as well based on her Instagram post about it.   Clearly Meltzer's and Mitchell plan of treating this like "let by gone be gone" failed miserably

Honestly, how to you recover from a story accusing a grieving widow of conspiring with a greedy wrestling promoter to cover up her husband's cause of death to shield the promotion from bad publicity?  The level of misanthropy required to consider something like that is depressing.  "I was just asking tough questions and maybe I should have waiting a while before publishing that story" doesn't cut it at all. 

I'm not going to say that I'm considering cancelling F4W as I still get value out of the podcasts.  But I do think that for as annoying as he is Alvarez might need to lay some ground rules to Dave regarding who's on what can be talked about.  Mitchell's way too toxic so just don't have him on as that can seem like he's enabling him.  And for that matter set a rule where Dave never talks about appearances again so he doesn't put his foot in his mouth.  I don't expect that to really happen but that would save some headaches on their end.

As for the idea of waiting before publishing the story he should be ashamed for considering it in the first place.  Even if he did it three years from now there's no place for that stuff.

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The level of misanthropy required to consider something like that is depressing.  "I was just asking tough questions and maybe I should have waiting a while before publishing that story" doesn't cut it at all. 

From an elementary school teacher, no less. I used to listen and read him regularly on the Torch and he gave quality insight and solid historical context, albeit with some quirks (e.g. his stubborn assertion that every single thing that WWE ever did with black wrestlers had racist motivations)  and his rambling speech wasn’t necessarily conducive to the podcast medium (much like another prominent wrestling historian). But I couldn’t stomach anything involving him now

• Like 1