DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

WON memories -

- the lucha coverage (in a pre-internet era, admittedly much more difficult) was very sparse until he had readers who could properly fill him in, and then Konnannnn came along.

- ECW was far overdue for it's own section, and there was some debate about that.

- letters!

- plugz!

- amazingly padded attendance and sometimes imaginary indy show reports.

- the lengthy debate over whether MMA coverage belonged in there. Dave liked it, and was covering it by default for other papers/sites (and it's his newsletter) so it went in. Another section for me to skip, but again it is his newlsetter. I did catch the tail end of roller derby, which was also debated before I got there ('84).

- Meltzer covering for sources, but occasionally getting worked as management started used him to break stories.

- no paragraphs!

- no columns!

- crazy fonts!

- year end editions the size of a tombstone. Those were amazing, with lots of guest writers.

It's always been a work in progress, and always worthwhile.

---RAF

• Like 3

Back to Renee and Miz for a second - here is a fun clip of them both talking about having to control their parents backstage... especially when it came to meeting Vince

• Haha 1

plug: There's a new Rock And Wrestling Connection podcast, and I got asked to help! This time we present thee special Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch edition, ridin' the coattails of the upcoming AEW PPV. It's topical, timely and educational, check it out - 

- and I am sure it is available on other pod-type platforms as well. Give it a try and let me know what you think, please.

- RAF 

49 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I find it very funny that big e is almost turning into screamin' Jay Hawkins in his energy vampire gas down for insomniacs the last episode 

I legit just finished hearing Big E do this and can't stop laughing.  The guy really is a treasure.

As for Sreamin' Jay if there's anybody that should cover "I put a spell on you" it definitely should be him.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

My favorite thing about the New Day podcasts are when they or their guests talk about gimmicks that never happened.

Like Hornswoggle talking about how the reveal of him as the Anonymous GM was supposed to be complete with him revealing that he was actually "Big Nick from Jersey" but it didn't happen because the day of the RAW, he couldn't do a Jersey accent.

• Like 1

The funny thing about Big Money Kofi Kingston is that since Kofi is from Boston, there are probably people that would accuse the company of creating another stereotypically racist character with a put on accent. 

The best part of Renee's podcast is that she always asks the WWE folks about interacting with Vince

Where as WWE podcasts aren't allowed to mention Vince by name

• Like 2

I barely listen to Jerichos podcast but he had Big Show on and Show gave alot of insight into the way he was used. He mentioned several times that he isn't bitter. He realizes what alot of people were saying about how he wasn't used like he Show have been. He confirmed about how controlling WWE is about outside deals. He seems to be really happy to be apart of AEW. He's very self aware about how he should be used. Since he signed with AEW, I kept thinking about if AEW came along 5 to 10 years earlier how dope it would've been to have a younger more motivated Paul Wight. I'm sure when he does wrestle he's gonna really bring it. 

Even though he was treated like everyone else on WWEs roster, he's still more of a house hold name as anyone that isn't Austin or Rock, he's very funny and intelligent, I hope he does well in and away from AEW

• Like 3

I finally unsubbed to Jerichos pod a couple months ago.. too many of the non wrestling stuff for me and the wrestling ones just sat in my feed for weeks at a time. 

Edited by odessasteps

Someone over on the WON site recapped Show's appearances on both Renee and Jericho's show

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/paul-wight-wwe-turning-down-justin-bieber-big-show-burger-idea-336206

The last line of the recap might be the most interesting one to me as Show said he knew his relationship with Vince changed when Vince started calling him "Paul" instead of "Show"