DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

The next episode of The New Day's Feel the Power podcast will be a tribute to Jon Huber (Brodie Lee in AEW and Luke Harper in WWE).

WWE has announced that Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, and Big E will honor the life of Huber on their podcast this Monday (January 11). Cesaro, Tyler Breeze, and Erick Rowan will join The New Day for "an in-depth conversation about their friend, whose legacy in the ring, in the locker room and beyond will live forever."

Rowan also appeared on AEW Dynamite's Brodie Lee tribute show.

A video version of The New Day podcast's tribute to Huber will be available for free on the WWE Network starting at 10 a.m. Eastern time on Monday.

WWE's full announcement is available below:

The tragic passing of Jon 'Luke Harper' Huber on Dec. 26 shook the WWE Universe and the wrestling world to its core, leading to an outpouring of stories, memories and tributes celebrating the former Intercontinental Champion as a competitor, as a cherished friend and as family.

On tomorrow’s special episode of The New Day’s podcast, The New Day: Feel the Power, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods and Big E invite special guests Cesaro, Tyler Breeze and Erick Rowan – Huber’s longtime tag team partner – for an in-depth conversation about their friend, whose legacy in the ring, in the locker room and beyond will live forever.

Watch the full episode on the free version of WWE Network at 10 a.m. ET. Listen and subscribe to The New Day: Feel the Power on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, odessasteps said:

Since they gave him what I presumed was a new name,after someone called him the former Erick Rowan, I figured that added up to them hiring him. 

Disclaimer: that was second hand, as I do not watch or follow the company. 

And I don't think anyone actually said "former."

Basically Jericho freaked out screaming "Erick Rowan!" while an obviously desperate Excalibur kept correcting him because of fear of lawsuits (though, to be honest, I don't think even Vince would sue in that situation.)

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Undertaker with truth bombs.

It is true what he says about guys in the business having it easy and yet feeling entitled but its a problem with the youth of today as well and I am only 36 years old but I see so many young, entitled people and it just annoys me.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah dudes wrestling was so much better when dudes were H bombing each other and shaving their eyebrows off, fuckin' underage rats, knocking each other's teeth out with fistfuls of rolled coins, dropping dead in hotel rooms, and being absentee parents.  Where do these soft soy boy cucks get off with their video games and friendships?  Dick Murdoch ain't needed no friends amirite bros?

I know this board got some fun notoriety, what, 15 years ago for the sleaze thread but maybe it's time to stop romanticizing the shitty culture that used to be part of wrestling.  That shit didn't create hard men.  It created broken men. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 21

1 hour ago, Boydy said:

It is true what he says about guys in the business having it easy and yet feeling entitled but its a problem with the youth of today as well and I am only 36 years old but I see so many young, entitled people and it just annoys me.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Maybe don’t take life advice from trash speculative fiction books.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

fuckin' underage rats

being absentee parents

Hey man, don't come for the Rock 'n' Roll Express. They're still living the dream, baby. I believe their motto is "if there's grass on the field then play ball".

• Like 1

One would have to think there would be a happy medium between playing video games and streaming them w/ or to your friends AND dying of overdose in a questionable hotel with questionable company. Those can't be the only options, right ?

Nowadays, when kids want to be wrestlers they go to a wrestling school, pay the tuition and the school actually trains them! Damn soft kids! In my day, you gave your life savings to a veteran who skipped town the next day and you never saw them again. But kids these days don't pay their dues...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boydy said:

That's from a Minions meme, right?

• Haha 2

Xavier Woods took umbrage with Undertaker's comments apparently: 

I wouldn’t be the person that I am without the guidance and lessons of a few key people from the previous generation of wrestling. They taught me about the business, to save my money, & that having video games in the locker room is healthier than having [redacted]. Thank you guys

Of course, as Twitter is helpfully pointing out, Xaver maybe not the best person to bring up wholesome behavior. 

Edited by Hagan

I'd rather we not go down that road when it comes to Twitter replies.  We know what happened but that aside he still makes a pretty good point.  And if you don't want to use him as an example it's not like he's the only one who is all about that anyway.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Is saying what WWE produces is soft or has changed necessarily the same thing as saying that the wrestlers themselves are soft? (I realize most all of you are just riffing now, but still...)

If Taker's claim is that there are guys who lack in-ring storytelling ability, or that how WWE shoehorns wrestlers in to a role and structures their matches prevents wrestlers from turning out pro-wrestling with substance, then he's arguably correct. 

Mick Foley talked about this in his first book when he said Undertaker would get a louder reaction doing a dive once a year than the cruiserweights would get doing the same dive (or things that were arguably more dangerous and complex) every match, because the difference was that Undertaker got people invested in his character and storylines and saved the big stuff for the big matches.

He mentions that there's "guys that have an edge to them," so I could just as easily say he's inveighing against the PG era or the overly-structured cookie cutter matches that some other wrestlers (such as TJP) have talked about when it comes to WWE.

I should probably just go ahead and listen to the rest of the podcast instead of the Twitter clip from above. If he really is just doing the "back in my day men were men and we had more boobs on TV" thing, then I have far less to find correct about Taker's comments.

EDIT: Just found a source that's claiming Undertaker went on to say "I liked when men were men." I didn't know that when I wrote my closing sentence. Ugh. Thought Taker knew enough about football to avoid blowing the game in the second half.

Edited by Teflon Turtle

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Maybe don’t take life advice from trash speculative fiction books.

I don't. I took it from Joe Rogan who quotes it all the time. It does sum up how I feel about young people but that is just me being a grumpy old man lol.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

In my day your "trainer" broke your leg on day 1 just to see if you were tough enough to come back!  And if you did, he'd train you by kicking your ass every day and never smartened you up until maybe 1 minute before your first match.

Thats probably why wrestling today is so loose and contrived. Nothing looks real anymore. Nothing is snug or even close to being tight. We went from Mr Perfect to Dolph Ziggler.