DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2021 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

I'm doing this thread early because there isn't a UFC title fight before 2/7.

I've declared @DreamBroken the winner of the 2020 contest. DreamBroken had Miranda Maverick winning the Invicta 125lb title in addition to Maverick winning her UFC debut. Although Maverick didn't win an Invicta title, she won her last Invicta fight at 125 and did win her UFC debut. He also had Weidman bouncing back and winning multiple fights. Even though Weidman only competed once, he remained 1-0 through the year. I also gave AxB credit for two as he correctly predicted Cerrone to go winless in 2020 and also that two UFC champions would retain with three defenses each. Just like the Weidman prediction, I'm giving credit to AxB for the first part due to the strange circumstances of the year. I went to a tiebreaker to determine a winner and DreamBroken won the tiebreaker by correctly predicting five current UFC champions (Stipe, Volkanovski, Figueiredo, and Nunes 2x) to AxB's two (Figueiredo and Shevchenko). So congrats to DreamBroken. I will PM you once I figure out how I am going to configure the prizes for the contest. Anyway, here are the rules for this year's contest:

RULES:
You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you mean. Simply saying "X will fight for and win/successfully defend the __________ title" or any other variation is prohibited. If you want to do that, you can just put that in your tiebreakers like any other year.
Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. I will ask you to substitute or add on to that prediction. Examples would be:

• A UFC or any MMA fight or event will be canceled or postponed due to covid.
  • (Fighter X) will test positive for covid.
  • Jon Jones will move up to the heavyweight division
  • Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will negotiate to fight in the near future.
  • UFC will have fans in attendance this year.
  • Deiveson Figueiredo and Brandon Moreno will have a rematch at some point.

Weird stuff like drug tests, injuries, deaths, or COVID positives, we will stay away from because of obvious reasons and it lacks creativity.

First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on January 17, 2022 (Martin Luther King Day). No two people can have the exact same twelve champions on their list. Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones especially if two or more people get three correct. If both have two or three quality correct predictions, I will then go to the tiebreaker. An amendment to this is going forward: you have to pick champions for EVERY division. I noticed AxB didn't pick a Women's Featherweight champion last year. I don't want someone to miss out on a tiebreaker just cause they didn't feel like picking a champion. So again, going forward, the tiebreaker should include a predicted champion for every division.

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):
Women's Strawweight (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin
2015 winner: Hail Sabin
2016 winner: DreamBroken
2017 winner: AxB
2018 winner: Hail Sabin
2019 winner: Setsuna
2020 winner: DreamBroken

The contest deadline will be January 16, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. CST, which is the start of UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar.

The first (1st) place winner will get one free month of ESPN+ and also one (1) UFC on ESPN+ PPV of their choice in 2022.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Wow, sweet! I definitely thought I missed on most of mine... I 'll have to throw some together in the next few days.

Many if not most predictions from last year centered around people fighting multiple times. Problem is everyone was shut down for multiple months including the UFC. I was gonna wait to see if Conor won this next fight coming up seeing as I had him winning another fight. However, it was predicted to be in 2020. I don't think it would have been fair, and I think it works better to make these predictions before the first major event of the calendar year.

• Like 1

1. Deiveson Figueiredo will win his rematch with Brandon Moreno creating a path forward to moving up to bantamweight.
2. Claressa Shields will win her MMA/PFL debut via TKO/KO and also defend one of her current titles in boxing as well.
3. AJ McKee will go at least 3-0 this year including winning the Bellator featherweight grand prix.
4. Jon Jones will go 2-0 at heavyweight including a challenge for the UFC heavyweight title.
5. There will be at least two UFC fighters (male and/or female) holding titles in two different weight classes. 

HW (265lbs): Francis Ngannou
LHW (205lbs): Israel Adesanya
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor
FW (145lbs): Brian Ortega
BW (135lbs): Petr Yan
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figueiredo
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Weili Zhang

1. Claressa Shields will lose in MMA or Boxing in 2021 

2. ABC will air a UFC PPV in 2021 

3. Nate Robinson will get knockout again in Boxing in 2021 

4. Killer Kelly/Leyla Hirsch/Tom Lawlor/Jake Hager/Thunder Rosa will have at least 3 wins in MMA in 2021 

5. UFC will have a Mom UFC Champion in 2021 in one of the Divisions 

HW (265lbs): Francis Ngannou
LHW (205lbs): Israek Adesanya 
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman
LW (155lbs): Justin Gaethje
FW (145lbs): Zabit Magomedsharipov

BW (135lbs): Petr Yan
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figueiredo
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Megan Anderson 
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes 
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Champion 

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

2. ABC will air a UFC PPV in 2021 

5. UFC will have a Mom UFC Champion in 2021 in one of the Divisions 

Just need a clarification on a couple things:

For number 2, do you mean UFC will distribute their PPV exclusively through ABC which would be available on cable providers much like Top Rank did with Crawford vs. Khan last April on ESPN PPV (which wasn't the same as ESPN+ PPV)? Or do you mean it would air both on ESPN+ PPV and also on ABC through cable providers? The reason why I'm asking is DAZN for example, despite being anti-PPV, made the last Canelo fight available through BOTH DAZN and cable PPV which was a first for them.

For number 3, are we counting Amanda Nunes and Sijara Eubanks or are we counting people like Mackenzie Dern, Sara McMann, Michelle Waterson, Lauren Murphy, Alexis Davis, Marion Reneau, Taila Santos, and Nina Ansaroff who actually gave birth? If it's the former, it would weaken your prediction since Nunes herself has been champion for going on four and a half years. If it's the latter, it wouldn't be the strongest prediction still since I was able to name seven moms off the top of my head. However, it would still make a decent prediction and a much better prediction than the former since none of those folks have been UFC champion.

52 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

For #2 I was thinking airing on ABC itself like when Spike aired PPVs. 

For #5 Gave Birth since I knew Waterson has said she wants to be the 1st MOM UFC Champion. 

Okay, I will note number 2 as replaying PPVs. Got it.

1. Amanda Nunes will retain over Megan Anderson and then defeat Shevchenko for a third time.
2. Weili Zhang will retain over Rose Namajunas via stoppage and then be booked in a rematch with Joanna by the end of the year.
3. Dominick Cruz will finally win multiple fights in a year again.
4. Erin Blanchfield will be my pick this year to win the Invicta flyweight championship, get signed by UFC, and win her debut fight.
5. Khamzat Chimaev will remain unbeaten, win all his fights by stoppage, and become champion by the end of the year.

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
LHW (205lbs): Jiri Prochazka
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya
WW (170lbs): Khamzat Chimaev 
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor
FW (145lbs): Alexander Volkanovski
BW (135lbs): Cory Sandhagen
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figureido
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Jessica Andrade
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Weili Zhang

• Like 1

If anyone would like to add predictions or (for those who have already submitted their predictions) change applicable predictions, you have a hard deadline of January 23, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. CST. Then, I will close the thread and record predictions as they are.

• Like 1

1. Jon Jones won't fight at Heavyweight.

2. Max Holloway gets revenge on Alexander Volkanovski winning the trilogy fight.

3. Khabib stays retired.

4. Conor McGregor will have his most active MMA year since 2016 fighting more than once.

5. We'll get Zhang/Joanna II and Thug Rose fights the winner.

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic.
LHW (205lbs): Israel Adesanya.
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya.
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman.
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor.
FW (145lbs): Max Holloway.
BW (135lbs): Petr Yan.
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figueiredo.
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes.
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Valentina Shevchenko.
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko.
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Weili Zhang.

Edited by The Natural

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hope that's okay, @Elsalvajeloco. Honestly only noticed this today.

It looks like we're good. Your #5 is similar to DreamBroken's #2, but it's different enough to be a valid prediction. Anyway, good luck to you.

• Thanks 1