DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

• 2 weeks later...

In what world is Lamar Odom cleared for a boxing fight? Darkest timeline. All 15 people who order that need help. 

Meanwhile you got Canelo weaving his head outta the way and firing back with a counter (was it a slap?) at the press conference yesterday. Now that's awesome. 

On the undercard of Joshua vs. Usyk, Callum Smith tried to get all the bad juju from his fight with Canelo and subsequent terrible performance out with one horrifying KO.

WARNING: MIGHT BE NIGHTMARE FUEL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like Alexander Usyk's beaten Anthony Joshua for Joshua's three belts. Usyk would be only the third man to win a world title at Cruiserweight and Heavyweight joining Evander Holyfield and David Haye. Usyk won all four belts at Cruiserweight to be unified champion.

Edited by The Natural

Usyk had a hell of a performance. Joshua turned it into a fight in the middle rounds and starting to change the tide. That's when Joshua usually takes over and really puts the coffin nails in. Usyk just decided he wasn't going to let Joshua turn him back. 

If I'm AJ, I would hold off on that rematch clause. His chances only hinge on Usyk getting tired. He got tired, but not to the point where Joshua could land consistently on him. When Usyk decided to stop punching, AJ was doing good. However, when both guys were active, Usyk had the much better work. AJ had some good body shots that seem to have some effect and a short right on the inside, but that's not enough to take rounds. Against Usyk, for him, it's knockout or bust. He isn't taking seven rounds off Usyk in a boxing match.

• Like 1

Man, Joshua was an easy target getting hit with how many lead lefts throughout the fight? Incredible head movement and footwork. Beautiful fight from a man who moved up from cruiserweight against a powerful heavyweight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Alexander Usyk by unanimous decision wins the WBA, WBO and IBF World Heavyweight Championship! Perfect record as well!

s-l300.jpg

i guess that puts the final nail in the coffin of Joshua vs. Fury. to quote myself,

On 5/17/2021 at 6:53 PM, twiztor said:

fucking boxing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

You know a KO is bad when you can't find a replay of it anywhere.

It's a really bad KTFO. If you or anyone hasn't seen it, I'd advise against it. I said that to my Dad.

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

s-l300.jpg

i guess that puts the final nail in the coffin of Joshua vs. Fury. to quote myself,

Yeah.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Usyk fought a great fight. Wlad and Ruiz cracked Joshua's chin, turned him into an overly-cautious fighter. I'd back Usyk in the rematch and hopefully we can get Usyk v Fury or Wilder too.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Journalist Dan Rafael tweeted: "I texted Lenin Castillo’s manager to see how Lenin was doing after the KO by Callum Smith.

"Here’s the response I received overnight: 'He was released after a few hours. They did a brain scan. Everything fine. He’s at the airport now.' Good news."

---

That's a relief. One of the worst KO's I've seen in how the unconscious fighter reacted, shaking like that.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

The reason why I asked is it seems like Triller is dead set on not canceling since this is really the biggest "legit" fight they ever promoted. They've moved it 5 or 6 times and did 3 or 4 venue moves. Unless they fail to live up to their contractual obligations after winning the purse bid, the fight will stay together. However, it's clear they're not a promotional outfit that's got their shit together. 50 and Jay's Z attempts at promoting boxing didn't go this awry. This is bordering on shockingly disastrous. They cannot decide what country, what city, what date, or whether or not to do it on Saturday or go against a major NFL game on Sunday or Monday. I've never seen these types of gaffes before in rapid succession.