DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I like how you are confident that I know which Dirrell you speak of, even though I know one is fighting this weekend.

That one. They are interchangeable. Benavides would be an interesting fight but he seems destined for 175 since he doesn't feel like cutting the weight 

3 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

That one. They are interchangeable. Benavides would be an interesting fight but he seems destined for 175 since he doesn't feel like cutting the weight 

At this point, I don't see what Plant gets from fighting certain leftovers. Benavidez beat (Anthony) Dirrell to the point where apparently Anthony thinks he was winning the fight and the cut was what ended the fight. Between Anthony and Andre (who hasn't fought since a win before the pandemic), Plant might be better off choosing Grandma Dirrell if those are his options. They bring nothing to the table, and he missed the window where one was like IBF champ and the other WBC champ.

After Callum Smith got his shit ruined, it makes the entire division look bad because boxing writers made it seem like Callum was head and shoulders above other potential Canelo opponents. Then the fight happened. Who left at 168 who is semi decent can he (Plant) fight? It's pretty putrid. And if you want to capitalize on the momentum he is building, he needs to fight better names than he has been fighting.

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

I audibly gasped and put my hand on my mouth when I saw Tarver's name. LOL. 

Man, his young daughter is fighting and actually like kinda okay. I thought he was done with fighting after that Roy Nelson fight in Bellator. His daughter got to corner him and see him win, shitty fight to watch as it may be. He didn't die. That seemed like a great way to end his career.

This is just unnecessary. But seeing as how Triller paid 6 million I believe for the Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos fight today, they are dead set on being the boxing version of Affliction. Instead of just hundreds of thousands, they're going millions and millions.

Canelo-Alvarez-vs-Avni-Yildirim.jpeg?res

Matchroom Boxing on DAZN: Canelo vs. Yildirim
February 27, 2021
Miami Gardens, FL (Hard Rock Stadium)

WBA Super World/WBC/Ring Magazine Super Middleweight Championship: Saúl Álvarez © (167.6) vs. Avni Yildirim (167.6) (first defense) - Álvarez, TKO (corner retirement), R3 (3:00)
Interim WBC Flyweight Championship: McWilliams Arroyo (111.8) vs. Abraham Rodriguez (112) - Arroyo, TKO (referee stoppage due to corner throwing in towel), R5 (1:41)
Zhilei Zhang (256.2) vs. Jerry Forrest (236) - DRAW (majority)
Diego Pacheco (168) vs. Rodolfo Gomez Jr. (167) - Pacheco, DEC (unanimous)
Marc Castro (129.2) vs. John Moraga (131) - Castro, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:29)
Keyshawn Davis (136.6) vs. Lester Brown (134.6) - Davis, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:50)
Aaron Aponte (139.8) vs. Harry Gigliotti (139.2) - Aponte, DEC (unanimous)
Alexis Espino (167.8) vs. Ashton Sykes (164.2) - Espino, TKO (referee stoppage), R5 (2:03)

Attendance: 15,000

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 2/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looks like Canelo vs. Billy Joe Saunders is on for 5/8 in Texas (either at Reliant or AT&T Stadium).

Canelo will probably be too much for Billy to handle, but still looking forward to this.

I would argue that my opinion on your expertise in boxing is based on how much you loved Hagler vs Hearns round 1.  Hold up decades later. If it isn't one of the best rounds in boxing history it is top 5

Edited by hammerva

RIP to Marvin Hagler. He will forever be The Man at middleweight in my books. Hearns is my dude but Hagler was straight up tougher and more efficient in their fight. 

Speaking of tough, have Chocolatito and Estrada been pouring it on like this the whole fight? I saw from the 9th I think onwards. Estrada had to go balls to the wall after outboxing Roman because he was down on the cards it sounded like. What a damn finish too!

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would argue that my opinion on your expertise in boxing is based on how much you loved Hagler vs Hearns round 1.  Hold up decades later. If it isn't one of the best rounds in boxing history it is top 5

I would argue that my opinion of someone's expertise in boxing is based on whether or not they hold the ridiculous belief that Sugar Ray Leonard actually won that fight. So many great fights and fighters that are spread out across the span of my boxing fandom but Hagler was special. Round 1 of Hagler-Hearns is imprinted in my memory like a favorite song.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It would be really hard to overstate how good Marvelous Marvin Hagler was. Unified middleweight champion for 7 straight years. Never knocked out. Knocked down once. 52 knockouts in 67 fights. 62-3-2. Just an absolute all-timer.

All amazing stats, thank you. I also read that Marvin Hagler was one of the few fighters who walked away at the right time and never came back. I still haven't watched Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns. I'll do so. I take it that and vs. Sugar Ray Leonard have to be seen the most? I'm not into boxing as I am MMA but wanted to pay my respects. R.I.P. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. My condolences to his family and friends xxx.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

All amazing stats, thank you. I also read that Marvin Hagler was one of the few fighters who walked away at the right time and never came back. I still haven't watched Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns. I'll do so. I take it that and vs. Sugar Ray Leonard have to be seen the most? I'm not into boxing as I am MMA but wanted to pay my respects. R.I.P. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. My condolences to his family and friends xxx.

The Ray Leonard fight is more famous, but Hagler vs Mugabi, Duran, Antuofermo, or Minter are all great fights if you want to see what his skill level was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It would be really hard to overstate how good Marvelous Marvin Hagler was. Unified middleweight champion for 7 straight years. Never knocked out. Knocked down once. 52 knockouts in 67 fights. 62-3-2. Just an absolute all-timer.

You can make a solid case that it should really be 65-1-1. The Leonard loss was controversial, the loss to Bobby Watts (fighting a Philly guy at the Spectrum, dun dun dunnnnn) was highway robbery, and the draw with Vito Antuofermo doesn't exactly hold up either. More interestingly, he avenged every single blemish on his record except Leonard's by winning rematches in due time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pete said:

You can make a solid case that it should really be 65-1-1. The Leonard loss was controversial, the loss to Bobby Watts (fighting a Philly guy at the Spectrum, dun dun dunnnnn) was highway robbery, and the draw with Vito Antuofermo doesn't exactly hold up either. More interestingly, he avenged every single blemish on his record except Leonard's by winning rematches in due time.

And, if I recall correctly, Leonard's lack of interest in granting a rematch directly led to his retirement.