DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, ONE, and Fight Pass Thread (Can Crushing Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

13 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, damn. At least Rodtang won. 

His opponent put up way more of a fight than I figured he would. I thought that was going to be a total mismatch but it was surprisingly competitive. 

The Alvarez fight was unfortunate. Not much else to say than that.

It was a little weird after what Eddie got DQ'd what finished Mighty Mouse looked more illegal. 

DJ getting blasted by the knee wasn't illegal at all. Those have been allowed under One rules the entire time, for better or worse. I'm in favour of them but I can also see opposing view. 

Overall, an okay show. For once I am not watching live because of the airtime and am catching the youtube streams later at night which dampens the experience a bit. Next week, Christian Lee is defending the LW title. I am going on the record saying that he is the most promising fighter coming out of SEA. Granted, that's not a huge accolade, and I've got to be in the running for people who have watched the most mma and somehow still have the least knowledgeable viewpoints on the sport. 

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

A two fight main card is interesting.

It can't help that the most recognizable names for the American fans lost though.

Wasn't it three fights? 

I watched the youtube stream which was six fights long. 

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Did they not show Rodtang on TNT? 

I believe as a swing bout. However, the main event was the Mighty Mouse vs. Moraes fight.

That said, the show only averaged 196,000. I think the first card they did on TNT did 264,000 back in October 2019. The Bellator card from last Friday only did 167k. It appears the interest for MMA stateside that isn't UFC is basically nonexistent.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe as a swing bout. However, the main event was the Mighty Mouse vs. Moraes fight.

That said, the show only averaged 196,000. I think the first card they did on TNT did 264,000 back in October 2019. The Bellator card from last Friday only did 167k. It appears the interest for MMA stateside that isn't UFC is basically nonexistent.

They had 1.5 hours for three fights - I don't think it was a swing bout. I strongly suspect that it was recorded the afternoon/evening before in Singapore and then after what went down in the Alvarez fight they shuffled the lineup in order to try and keep fans watching. It's One though, they lend themselves to all sorts of these types of theories because you never really know with them...

4 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

They had 1.5 hours for three fights - I don't think it was a swing bout. I strongly suspect that it was recorded the afternoon/evening before in Singapore and then after what went down in the Alvarez fight they shuffled the lineup in order to try and keep fans watching. It's One though, they lend themselves to all sorts of these types of theories because you never really know with them...

It looks like when they announced they were doing the shows on TNT, they said this card was gonna be three fights. However, they never announced a third fight. It was just the Mighty Mouse and Alvarez fights that they billed. So much so that some of the major MMA news sites only have those two fights as the main card. If the entire card avg. less than 200,000 viewers, I would like to see what that fight particularly averaged with no advertising. 

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It looks like when they announced they were doing the shows on TNT, they said this card was gonna be three fights. However, they never announced a third fight. It was just the Mighty Mouse and Alvarez fights that they billed. So much so that some of the major MMA news sites only have those two fights as the main card. If the entire card avg. less than 200,000 viewers, I would like to see what that fight particularly averaged with no advertising. 

Really? I posted the lineup earlier in this thread where it showed a three fight card and which three fights would be on TNT. It was announced by One weeks ago. Not sure if that was just through their social media accounts and they never communicated with TNT? Weird. 

Next week's card is a two fight TNT card and I exoect it to get some pretty dire ratings ( the Christian Lee fight and a women's muay thai fight ).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Really? I posted the lineup earlier in this thread where it showed a three fight card and which three fights would be on TNT. It was announced by One weeks ago. Not sure if that was just through their social media accounts and they never communicated with TNT? Weird. 

Next week's card is a two fight TNT card and I exoect it to get some pretty dire ratings ( the Christian Lee fight and a women's muay thai fight ).

To be fair, I post the lineups for the UFC shows. Outside of changes here and there due to whatever (covid/weight cutting related pullouts/freak injuries week of), I can know what the main card will be three days before the show. That doesn't mean anything besides the main event will get hyped up. And truthfully, those are really one and two fight cards when you look at what's notable on the card.

Anyway, going back to my original point, I wonder if they feel that's the way forward (especially if this is a trial run). Here are the two or three fights people will card about on this card and that's it. HBO made that the template especially for premium cable boxing. And unless there is a prospect worth mentioning, we're going act like the prelims are just exactly that: the prelims. That's probably the best hook ONE has for getting people to watch juxtaposed with the UFC for the last ten plus years deciding to cram as many fights on TV besides UFC on FOX 1. 

Tomorrow's One Championship card. Spoilered for size. It hurt losing the Martin Nguyen fight. Sage Northcutt has also dropped out of his fight against Shinya Aoki two weeks from now due to lingering covid symptoms. 

Spoiler

Ey3c19IWgAUD6bM?format=png&name=small

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, Setsuna said:

Tomorrow's One Championship card. Spoilered for size. It hurt losing the Martin Nguyen fight. Sage Northcutt has also dropped out of his fight against Shinya Aoki two weeks from now due to lingering covid symptoms. 

Reveal hidden contents

Ey3c19IWgAUD6bM?format=png&name=small

On the strength of Dynamite doing great last night, this show did 337k (avg) which is amazing even considering the amount of lost viewers. That's bordering on what Bellator was doing in PRIMETIME before they left Paramount. Hopefully, they can maintain around that level even if there is some dropoff.

• Like 1

Sabah Homasi and Paul Dailey are beating the shit out of each other. 

Dailey wins by TKO in R2 after a slugfest.  I think Homasi punched himself out trying to get the finish in R1.

I wish I could stay up & watch the rest of the card, but I've got yard work to do in the morning.

Edited by J.T.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:28 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

On the strength of Dynamite doing great last night, this show did 337k (avg) which is amazing even considering the amount of lost viewers. That's bordering on what Bellator was doing in PRIMETIME before they left Paramount. Hopefully, they can maintain around that level even if there is some dropoff.

It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow and if that affects how they run shows going forward.  A couple changes to next week's card. Eddie Alvarez will be fighting the winner of Gafurov/Ok Rae Yoon, basically confirming that the first three cards were all taped at roughly the same time. Reug Reug, who also fought on week 1 of the TNT shows, will also be on the 4th card. 

Here's tomorrow's line up : 

Spoiler

Ey3c3mRXIAEtbs5?format=png&name=small

Looking forward to the main. Can't believe that John Wayne Parr is still going, though I don't like his chances in the Holzken fight. 

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

JFC those Lineker body shots right from the off. No attention to defense, just throws as hard as he can with hooks to the body. You love to see it. Terrifying power. Credit to Worthen for staying in there and taking the shots. Then his eyes rolled backwards.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:57 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

In the words of Wyclef Jean, "Someone please call 911...."

On 4/10/2021 at 1:23 AM, Jiji said:

Oh man. You rarely see somebody out on there feet like that and also take a clean combination on the way down. Like out of a video game.

Only seen this now. Damn. I'd say that's one of the best KTFO WMMA ever with Valentina/Eye (I was really concerned for Eye with her unconscious time and the way her feet went), Holm/Rousey and Cyborg/Nunes.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:23 AM, Jiji said:

Oh man. You rarely see somebody out on there feet like that and also take a clean combination on the way down. Like out of a video game.

Still remember Romero/Rockhold and Lawler/Trigg for those.