DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021 - The "Regular" Season

Dolfan in NYC

The New York Rangers said the shocking departures of general manager Jeff Gorton and team president John Davidson on Wednesday were unrelated to the scathing letter commissioned by owner James Dolan that criticized the NHL's Department of Player Safety.

"Yeah, I'll clarify that. That's an easy answer: That had nothing to do with it. Absolutely not," said Glen Sather, the team's senior advisor, at the introductory press conference for new president and GM Chris Drury on Thursday.

Given the timing, there had been speculation around the league the Rangers' managerial changes were linked to their statement, which called for Player Safety boss George Parros' job after the NHL fined but did not suspend Capitals forward Tom Wilson for his altercations with forwards Pavel Buchnevich and Artemi Panarin on Monday night. The letter was released on Tuesday; it was announced that Gorton and Davidson were out on Wednesday.

Sources around the Rangers have told ESPN that Drury's promotion from associate general manager to replace Gorton and Davidson was more related to ownership's frustration with the team's play this season and the timeline of the Rangers' rebuild, which formally started in 2018. New York is currently in 5th place in the East Division with a 26-22-6 record for a .537 points percentage.

But Drury said the expectation before this season was not that the Rangers would make the playoffs.

"I don't think that was the expectation. I don't think that was the mandate. With all the ups and downs with this shortened season, with coaches getting COVID, players in and out of the lineup and our youth, we had some positive growing moments," said Drury. "It's now definitely time to take the next step to turn those moments and collective group of players into a team."

He also didn't commit to the playoffs being the goal for next season either.

"I don't know if there's a set timeline, where I'm going to say, or anyone can say, that the rebuild is over. We're looking deep at everything in the organization to put ourselves in the best spot next October," he said.

When asked about the job status of head coach David Quinn, Drury said: "I'm certainly not going to sit here and talk about anyone's job status in the organization publicly."

Drury, 44, was a Rangers center from 2007-11, and played 892 games in the NHL. He grew up a Rangers fan in Trumbull, Connecticut.

For the last few seasons, Drury had been coveted by other teams seeking to hire him as their general manager. As he turned down those opportunities, speculation grew that he was hanging around to eventually replace Gorton.

When asked if Dolan had ever assured him of that line of succession, Drury said, "There were no promises made. At any point."

I bolded that because that is the most James Dolan thing ever. A rebuild that everyone said had finished earlier than expected somehow wasn't quick enough for him. (Not to mention basing anything on this cursed season)

I mean the reason I stopped loving the Knicks was because of Dolan (and Isiah Thomas). I am gonna hate giving up on this team too.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

The NHL has fined the Rangers $250,000 for correctly saying George Parros is incompetent. 

And Pavel Buchnevich was suspended one game for high sticking because of course he was

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Pavel Buchnevich was suspended one game for high sticking because of course he was

To be fair, he 100% deserves it.

Florida & Tampa renew their love affair tonight.  Tampa must win the game in regulation time, otherwise, Florida gets home ice during their upcoming series.  

Last game had 1/3 of the skaters get misconduct penalties!  

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, Death From Above said:

53 games to make 100 points. I have nothing I can possibly even begin to add. Given the context of how the NHL has changed in my lifetime this might be the greatest regular season I've ever watched.

I think Mario Lemieux's 1992-93 season where he led the league in scoring (averaging 1.15 *GOALS* per game) despite having Hodgin's lymphoma and missing 20 games and undergoing treatments might be the most incredible* but, man, Connor ain't far behind.  100 points in 53 games in this scoring environment is just...wow.  That's EASILY a 200+ point season in Gretzky's heyday, maybe even 216+.

* - the 1992/93 season may have been the best NHL season ever.  Lemieux still being Mario.  Yzerman, Oates, LaFontaine and Pierre Turgeon all having incredible seasons.  Teemu & Mogilny scoring 76 goals.  And on and on and on.  Just an amazing year.

• Like 1

Lemieux was just an unbelievable freak. It's scary to think what his numbers would look like if his body hadn't completely betrayed him.

I think that Lemieux playoff run that produced *that* permanent highlight reel finals goal against Minnesota was probably just about the 2 best months of hockey I ever saw anyone have. McDavid manages to excite me in the same way. Hopefully something big about to go off in these playoffs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Lemieux was just an unbelievable freak. It's scary to think what his numbers would look like if his body hadn't completely betrayed him.

In my eyes, Mario is the greatest player of all-time.  He's just barely behind Wayne Gretzky in points per game - but played with a bad back, cancer, AND played through the dead puck era where teams actually started playing defense.  He's the only one of the big 3 that always get mentioned (him, Gretzky, and Orr) that would even come close to replicating his own numbers in any given era.  Gretzky wouldn't get 150 points today, let alone 215.  Orr wouldn't lead the league in scoring.  And so on.  But Mario could.  Or any other era.  So Mario gets my vote.  

And, yeah, he did it all while being healthy for only a handful of years.  The one time he was healthy, in his prime, AND played a full season, he scored 199 points.  Unreal.

And McDavid is almost on that level, if not there.  He's got Mario's size and skill AND can skate like the wind.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

I* - the 1992/93 season may have been the best NHL season ever.  Lemieux still being Mario.  Yzerman, Oates, LaFontaine and Pierre Turgeon all having incredible seasons.  Teemu & Mogilny scoring 76 goals.  And on and on and on.  Just an amazing year.

The greatest moment of 92-93 ??:

Edit: the fact that Dougie Gilmour had 127 points and was 8th in scoring is bonkers. 

Edit 2: Pavel Bure had 60 goals and was 5th in goals scored. Crazy.

Edited by Infinit

On 5/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, Infinit said:

The greatest moment of 92-93 ??:

Edit: the fact that Dougie Gilmour had 127 points and was 8th in scoring is bonkers. 

Edit 2: Pavel Bure had 60 goals and was 5th in goals scored. Crazy.

That game was so poorly officiated, LOL.  Heck, that whole series.  

This was an even better moment from that year:

• Haha 2