DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

My firm's vaccine mandate takes effect tomorrow.  Ultimately, the malcontents represent a very tiny minority and the number of people willing to give up their jobs will be something like 1% of all employees, if that.

That said, the bitching from the anti-vaxxers is the absolute worst.  One employee thought a woman was going to throw a chair at her for reminding the person about the upcoming deadline.  Another made a friend of mine in HR cry.  He probably wishes he hadn't done that.  Guy looked like he might cry after I chatted with him a bit.  i did enjoy him pompously telling me that no one was going to fire him tomorrow because liberals talked a good game but didn't have the stomach to make the hard decisions because they were too worried about making everyone feel special.

I mean, I'm not a liberal.  And I'd have to try hard to care less about whether he feels special or not.  He was right that no one is going to fire him tomorrow.  He didn't make it that far.

Just a lot of ridiculous personal attacks and childish acting out.  Over what should be a fairly easy choice to take an hour, get a shot, and forget about it.

I'm a cynic.  I mostly expect people to be stupid, selfish, and hypocritical.  I'm still disappointed by the anti-vaxxers.

This week can't end soon enough.  It's a shame all we can do to the anti-vaxxers is fire them. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Sad 1

9 year old has COVID. She's spiking a high fever but not showing too many other symptoms. It's school. We did everything we could to avoid human interaction for the last year and a half, especially for the kids, but it felt like it was a race against time for the last month on when shots would be approved for kids, and we lost it. Rest of us will get tested tomorrow. So far the 4 year old isn't showing any symptoms and we're just trying to keep the 9 year old's under control as we isolate her to the best of our ability to protect the other kid, but we've been on top of each other for days. Jury's out on my wife. 9 year old just spiked a fever late last night. We had found out secondhand that the person she sits next to in math class (Everyone's masked, but...) was out of school with it most likely, but the school didn't inform us as they're trying to keep a muzzle on this. Apparently their idea of close contact is only the people who kids sit with maskless at lunch (We're one of the few families in the grade that insisted that our kid eat outside). We tested her last Saturday but it was probably too soon. Tested her again this morning after symptoms showed.

So, that's where we are. Things are under control for now but not great by any means.

• Sad 13

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

9 year old has COVID. She's spiking a high fever but not showing too many other symptoms. It's school. We did everything we could to avoid human interaction for the last year and a half, especially for the kids, but it felt like it was a race against time for the last month on when shots would be approved for kids, and we lost it. Rest of us will get tested tomorrow. So far the 4 year old isn't showing any symptoms and we're just trying to keep the 9 year old's under control as we isolate her to the best of our ability to protect the other kid, but we've been on top of each other for days. Jury's out on my wife. 9 year old just spiked a fever late last night. We had found out secondhand that the person she sits next to in math class (Everyone's masked, but...) was out of school with it most likely, but the school didn't inform us as they're trying to keep a muzzle on this. Apparently their idea of close contact is only the people who kids sit with maskless at lunch (We're one of the few families in the grade that insisted that our kid eat outside). We tested her last Saturday but it was probably too soon. Tested her again this morning after symptoms showed.

So, that's where we are. Things are under control for now but not great by any means.

Sorry to hear this. Love to y'all, @Matt D xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Update is that our tests all came back negative today so we are just going to try to isolate the 9 year old. It's obviously good we don't have it as of yet but it's a little baffling since we're all in close quarters and didn't really isolate the 9 year old yesterday until we got the positive test back. So for now, we're cautiously optimistic but we'll have to retest in a few days and we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things would have been much clearer if we all turned out to be positive as we expected. The 9 year old's fever is lower today and hopefully that means this will run its course without escalation. Just a lot of uncertainty all around but more good news than not relatively so far today.

• Like 11

I've occasionally mentioned my father in passing a few times on here. He's 63 and currently resides in a nursing home in Geneva, NY due to having issues with diabetes and the fact that his knees are completely shot and he can't barely get around without a wheelchair.  NY State's vaccine mandate for healthcare workers went into effect recently, and the malcontents decided to try a novel idea. They're just showing up to work as thought they think they still have jobs and nobody will notice. It didn't work. So, now that are cops posted at the door, lest someone else try and be smart like that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I've occasionally mentioned my father in passing a few times on here. He's 63 and currently resides in a nursing home in Geneva, NY due to having issues with diabetes and the fact that his knees are completely shot and he can't barely get around without a wheelchair.  NY State's vaccine mandate for healthcare workers went into effect recently, and the malcontents decided to try a novel idea. They're just showing up to work as thought they think they still have jobs and nobody will notice. It didn't work. So, now that are cops posted at the door, lest someone else try and be smart like that.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton. 

• Haha 1

Today is World Cerebral Palsy Day. More than 17 million people live with Cerebral Palsy through an injury to the developing brain. CP is a lifelong condition affecting me daily particularly my muscles and movements. Pain through it. There's good and bad periods though the bad more frequently this year. Fitting as 2021 sucks. You manage with the family, friends and the NHS I'm thankful for having xxx.

• Like 12

Came in to work this morning to find out one of my employees is suspended->almost certainly fired.  The vaccine card he gave HR to prove vaccination status is apparently fake.  Main reason this surprises me is that I distinctly remember him going to a vaccine event with several co-workers last spring.  Apparently, he went but somehow ended up not getting the shot and just told people he did?

Anyway, if you'd asked me yesterday, I would have said that the guy was completely honest and dependable.  Guess I was wrong.

• Sad 3

@Matt DGood to hear your kid is in recovery.

While I encourage people to get vaccinated, I do not really support mandates.  I think people should be able to determine the destiny of their bodies and well being whether it be not getting the jab just because you don't want to or having free access to abortion clinics.  If you're going to take the My Body, My Choice stance, you can't be hypocritical about it.

Lying about being vaccinated is really stupid, but a reasonable company would offer alternatives like enforced masking and weekly testing or proof of natural immuno-response due to prior infection.  Then you just pick your poison because it is impossible to have it all ways at this stage of the outbreak when curves are beginning to flatten.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I got a job at Goodwill recently and even though we're all vaccinated and masked up I am still touching everybody's shit every day and in and out of doors with people making deliveries and me taking the mask on and off when it just becomes too intolerable. When it's hot out you can die of heat stroke out on the concrete (thankfully there isn't any blacktop out there). I've figured out that even if cloth masks are better they are just too hot for a physical job so the paper ones are the way to go. 

• Like 2

My depression has knocked me out bad lately. I was all excited to watch the N1 and G1, I haven't made it past night 2 for either. I can't focus and when I can I just can't feel any enjoyment out of it. I just want to sleep all day and let the world go by. It's getting harder and harder to get through the day. It all just feels pointless. I can't derive any pleasure from life anymore.

• Sad 4

Thanks for the support. And I'm sorry for what you guys have been dealing with as well, of course.

Here's the update:

• 9 year old continues to get better every day.
  • 4 year old has started to show some mild fever symptoms in the last 24 hours.
  • We were going to get tested again today anyway and we did so this morning. Test just came back and she is positive but we remain negative. Shots are a hell of a thing apparently though it still feels like a matter of time.
  • Isolating a 4 year old will be much harder than the 9 year old. We'll take every precaution but we are going to have to quarantine as well whether we keep getting negative tests or not. 4 year old is until the 15th.
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

@Matt DGood to hear your kid is in recovery.

While I encourage people to get vaccinated, I do not really support mandates.  I think people should be able to determine the destiny of their bodies and well being whether it be not getting the jab just because you don't want to or having free access to abortion clinics.  If you're going to take the My Body, My Choice stance, you can't be hypocritical about it.

Lying about being vaccinated is really stupid, but a reasonable company would offer alternatives like enforced masking and weekly testing or proof of natural immuno-response due to prior infection.  Then you just pick your poison because it is impossible to have it all ways at this stage of the outbreak when curves are beginning to flatten.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  When has "My Body, My Choice" ever been absolute?  Most of us have gotten vaccinated at some point in our lives because it's required for school, certain jobs, etc.  Likewise, we can drink or do whatever drugs we want, but then the government steps in and tells us what we can and can't do while alcohol and drugs are in our body.  You can't drive while drunk because that makes you a potential hazard to other people.    Likewise, firms have always had the ability to mandate flu vaccines, drug tests, dress codes, standards of behavior, and a whole host of other things.

You're right that companies shouldn't require proof of vaccination.  They shouldn't have to.  People should be lining up to get this done without having to be forced, threatened, bribed, or anything else.  But, most of us are shit people in one way or another, so expecting us to even know what the right thing is much less do it is like asking for a pony for Christmas.

Giancarlo Esposito summed up my feelings pretty well.  He gave an interview this week and advised actors who don't want to get vaccinated to not show up for work and find a desert island to live on.  Works for me.  Most of us want to get through this and stop wearing masks and the like, so, if you don't want to help, stay home and don't be a hindrance. 

I don't even really understand anti-vaxxers.  Mask mandates, social distancing, and shutdowns aren't my idea of freedom.  It seems logical to assume you'd have much more freedom if you just got jabbed.

Sorry, but I think virtually everyone owes it to others to get vaccinated.  No excuses.  I view it as more of a public health issue than a referendum on personal freedom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I got a job at Goodwill recently and even though we're all vaccinated and masked up I am still touching everybody's shit every day and in and out of doors with people making deliveries and me taking the mask on and off when it just becomes too intolerable. When it's hot out you can die of heat stroke out on the concrete (thankfully there isn't any blacktop out there). I've figured out that even if cloth masks are better they are just too hot for a physical job so the paper ones are the way to go. 

I have found N95 masks to be a good alternative to both.  And they had the added benefit of making it tolerable to be outside when we were having major issues with wildfire smoke in July and August.  And eliminated the smell from those, too.  I think the price has gone up since I got them but I got a bag of N95 masks off of Amazon for like $10.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

My depression has knocked me out bad lately. I was all excited to watch the N1 and G1, I haven't made it past night 2 for either. I can't focus and when I can I just can't feel any enjoyment out of it. I just want to sleep all day and let the world go by. It's getting harder and harder to get through the day. It all just feels pointless. I can't derive any pleasure from life anymore.

I can identify with wanting to sleep all day and not getting pleasure out of things through depression. Here if you want to talk.

Edited by The Natural

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Today is World Cerebral Palsy Day. More than 17 million people live with Cerebral Palsy through an injury to the developing brain. CP is a lifelong condition affecting me daily particularly my muscles and movements. Pain through it. There's good and bad periods though the bad more frequently this year. Fitting as 2021 sucks. You manage with the family, friends and the NHS I'm thankful for having xxx.

Thanks @(BP), @Shartnado, @J.T., @Log, @Zimbra, @Execproducer, @Spontaneous and @Eivion. I was told things might get worse as I age with Cerebral Palsy and I'd say that's happening from last year to now.

• Like 4

244820215_10158506547518862_896275435003

244712564_10158506549153862_580847806331

Today's a challenging one because it's Rayven Clay's Gotcha Day and it's a month exactly since we lost the Rayven to terminal cancer taken way too soon, she only turned six in August. It's not fair. We were lucky to have such a pretty, laidback, funny, dog so loving, so friendly which is why we love and miss her so much. Rayven Clay was truly special. The first picture is from Rayven's first Gotcha Day in 2015 and her last in 2020.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Ok, here's the update.

• Both kids are past their symptoms now. One will isolate until Tuesday. One til Friday.
  • I started showing signs of symptoms on Thursday or Friday. Fever was pretty bad yesterday. Today is a lot better. Hoping I'm through it tomorrow or the next day but you can't tell with this thing.
  • Tested positive today.
  • Wife remains ok. 
  • Upside is now I can be close to the girls which is really welcome. I hugged the stuffing out of them when I got the positive test back.
  • Like 1

I really should be more grateful that I live a simple meaningless, childless, existence with a steady girlfriend, that I managed to get a remote work contract, and that the worst thing that happened to me was not being able to go to the gym.

My girlfriend lost her grandmother about 10 months ago. They're finally having the funeral service this week.

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I really should be more grateful that I live a simple meaningless, childless, existence with a steady girlfriend, that I managed to get a remote work contract, and that the worst thing that happened to me was not being able to go to the gym.

My girlfriend lost her grandmother about 10 months ago. They're finally having the funeral service this week.

That first sentence really speaks to me, except for the gym part.

• Haha 1