DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

I am sorry to hear about Rayven @The Natural.  My mom had two Yorkies who were great companions to her when my father got sick.  One of the Yorkies died of renal failure and we've all heaped love on the remaining Yorkie since my father passed away.  Being a pet parent has been key for helping my mom maintain her mental health through all of the recent troubles, so I know the importance of your canine support buddy.

You've got my info so shoot me an e-mail if you want to talk off board.

• Thanks 1

So, some teacher at the elementary school where my sister teaches said really dumb things to a student and the parent put a video of the incident up on Tik Tok.

Since then, my sister has gotten threatening e-mails and will probably continue to receive them since the school cannot release the name of the teacher.  Most likely the teacher will get fired over this, but I can't help but feel that something bad may happen if the school board doesn't make positive steps to assure the public that the situation will be handled in a professional manner.

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh, man I'm so sorry.  Losing a pet is one of the worst things to happen especially the closer they get to the family.  And 5 years is way too damn young so again really sorry to read that.  Hang in there, fella.

Cheers, @NikoBaltimore. Sucks losing a pet any age but particularly so young, to cancer and perfect as Rayven is hurts like hell.

18 hours ago, Control said:

I’m sorry, @The Natural. Losing a pet is the worst, especially when they’re so young.

Thank you, @Control. The loss of a pet sucks but especially when they're going and all what Rayven is. I'm distraught.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I am sorry to hear about Rayven @The Natural.  My mom had two Yorkies who were great companions to her when my father got sick.  One of the Yorkies died of renal failure and we've all heaped love on the remaining Yorkie since my father passed away.  Being a pet parent has been key for helping my mom maintain her mental health through all of the recent troubles, so I know the importance of your canine support buddy.

You've got my info so shoot me an e-mail if you want to talk off board.

Thanks, @J.T.. I came up with Rayven's name and if you abbreviate it as we sometimes do to Ray, that's what she is. The ray of light in our lives.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

So, some teacher at the elementary school where my sister teaches said really dumb things to a student and the parent put a video of the incident up on Tik Tok.

Since then, my sister has gotten threatening e-mails and will probably continue to receive them since the school cannot release the name of the teacher.  Most likely the teacher will get fired over this, but I can't help but feel that something bad may happen if the school board doesn't make positive steps to assure the public that the situation will be handled in a professional manner.

Sorry to hear about your sister. Best wishes xxx.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a super rough week this week.

Woke up Monday morning, turned off the alarm, turned back to bed and my 13 year old cat Willow was laying there having a seizure.  It ended up lasting for a couple minutes until she finally stopped shaking and after what felt like forever of her just laying there motionless (and what was in reality probably a few seconds) finally shook it off and came back to.  We laid with her for a while with her and once she seemed to be mostly all there loaded her into the car to go to the vet.  She seemed to be doing ok, maybe a little shaky moving around but she was walking around the car while we drove generally seeming pretty happy.  They took her in right away for a quick exam and said everything looked normal, tempt and vitals were normal etc. so sent us back to the car to wait to get blood and urine work done and flush her system with fluids. 

Got that done and they sent her home with us & saying we would know results after 5pm the next day which sent me into total Papa Bear crazy mode of following her around the house any time she moved making sure she wasn't going to have another one & waking up multiple times in the night to find her to make sure everything seemed okay.  Again she seems mostly fine aside from some neuro ticks here and there but she has always had them.

Got the results back the next night and turns out she has stage 2 renal failure (which they say for a cat her age isn't exactly abnormal) so now we have to put her on a special prescription diet to slow the progress of that.  But unfortunately, that tells us nothing about the seizure and to find out more we would need to take her to an animal neurologist to get worked up and see if they find anything.  The vet recommended just waiting to see if she was going to have another seizure and if she does then move forward with that, which I agree with but we've been so on edge all week long about the whole thing and kind of feel like an asshole to take a "wait and see" approach with a member of the family.  

Today she finally seems to be acting normal again but still it's nerve racking not knowing if there's something going on in her head that we don't know about that could cause more to happen or if it was (hopefully) just a one time fluke thing.  

• Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's official: The sale of me and the folks' house fell through due to the prior owner not being able to come up with the money for the solar panels on the roof, owned by the bank. He has three mortgages on the house anyway so this asshole is deep in debt. We've already started looking for a new house or, if worst happens, a rental. 

I'm furious. It serves no purpose but I can't help it. 

• Sad 8

My plight is nothing compared to others, but I'm currently at the airport waiting to fly to LA for vacation. I'm freaking out. I hate flying. I'm deathly afraid of flying. Took one Xanax and it did nothing. Contemplating taking another Xanax with one of my 3 oz bottles of Titos.

I don't want this to be a goodbye post, but I can't help but feel I'm going to die and we're going to crash. Anyway, you're all fantastic, weird, funny, quirky, and enjoyable people.

I wish I was taking the train. 48 hrs vs almost 5, but I'd be on the ground. 

I don't want this to be the end. 

• Sad 3

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My plight is nothing compared to others, but I'm currently at the airport waiting to fly to LA for vacation. I'm freaking out. I hate flying. I'm deathly afraid of flying. Took one Xanax and it did nothing. Contemplating taking another Xanax with one of my 3 oz bottles of Titos.

I don't want this to be a goodbye post, but I can't help but feel I'm going to die and we're going to crash. Anyway, you're all fantastic, weird, funny, quirky, and enjoyable people.

I wish I was taking the train. 48 hrs vs almost 5, but I'd be on the ground. 

don't want this to be the end.

Nor will it. Enjoy the vacation. Take care xxx.

• Like 1

Graig H, the odds are firmly in your favor. It will be alright. Send us a message once you log back on to make sure you are OK, and trust me, you will. I don't particularly enjoy flying (well, turbulance is the problem, obviously), but I, like billions of other people, have survived a whole bunch of flights over the decades. You will, too.

• Like 2

Craig, you'll be fine. Xanax is on your side, trust me. I wish I had some right now myself...

We already looked at a house today and it looks a ton better than this one. I'm more worried about the folks dragging them and the dog's asses up and down the stairs here than anything else, and getting that or another house in time before they start charging us on this one. 

EDIT: I should put a PSA in here. DO NOT MIX PRESCRIPTIONS AND ALCOHOL. Tito's and Xanax will fuck you up bad. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: I should put a PSA in here. DO NOT MIX PRESCRIPTIONS AND ALCOHOL. Tito's and Xanax will fuck you up bad. 

I was on Lexapro for a few months and went to New Orleans for Wrestlemania.  I get there before everybody else did and with nothing to do went down Bourbon Street.  I didn't have anything above 7% alcohol beer and took my time with it plus a good lunch in all that.  Yet somehow when I met my friends at this nice place I was hammered and had no idea why.  It wasn't until mid last year where I found out taking that can make you more likely to get drunk.  So I told my friends that were there and at first they didn't believe me until I showed them proof.  They still mess with me about it but I can at least say I got hammered on Bourbon Street without really trying.  Thankfully that was the only time it happened that trip but I couldn't get off that medication fast enough (stopped working for me)

As for plane flying I noticed not long after 9/11 it took a couple trips before I could get the "What if?" scenarios out of my head.  Thankfully now it's not much of an issue unless the plane sucks.  Last trip to Greece we were crammed in these seats and for a 10 hour flight I got less than 1 hour sleep.  By the time I touched down after some connecting flights I was delirious and passed out as soon as we got to the house.  The flight home wasn't much better but I think I squeezed out an hour and a half on that one.  I think next time I go to Greece I'll take some Zzquil or something with me as that'll be my only chance on sleeping well.

• Like 1

188613559_10158258483153862_706468207511

Rayven is laid on my lap where's she stayed the past few hours. We found out about Ray's terminal cancer a month ago, she's only 5. Touch wood she's doing okay. Apart from the tumour on her head, you wouldn't know she has what she has. I've always spent time with Rayven and even more since. I love this dog so much. So much.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 9

Re: mixing prescription drugs and booze, I herniated a disk really badly a few months ago and, in between the injury and surgery, I know I mixed Percoset and bourbon at least twice.  I don't know if it's my heightened tolerance or the incredible amount of pain I was in, but the combination didn't do shit to me.

• Like 1

To quote Ric Flair, I ain't dead yet motherfuckers! I didn't enjoy flying, I may still take the train back home, but I fucking love this area of California so far. It's really amazing. 

As for the flights and meds, I took two Xanax for my first flight from Chicago to Dallas and 2 for my flight from Dallas to LAX. I also polished off all 4 3oz bottles of Titos. Uh...I think it MILDLY helped me. I definitely didn't get fucked up. Every. Fucking. Bump. I had to look at my daughter with a "is this ok?" face. So pathetic, but she and my wife are troopers and like flying. I think I thumb wrestled with my daughter for about 30 minutes to kill time. I think I would only truly relax when it came to landing, except we bounced on our landing in Dallas, which is a normal thing I guess, and our landing at LAX was like coming in like a rocket and then slamming on the brakes, which is because they have shorter landing strips there. Our flights are also completely full so lol covid and all that...

But anyway, I made it. Now I need to make it back. 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To quote Ric Flair, I ain't dead yet motherfuckers! I didn't enjoy flying, I may still take the train back home, but I fucking love this area of California so far. It's really amazing. 

As for the flights and meds, I took two Xanax for my first flight from Chicago to Dallas and 2 for my flight from Dallas to LAX. I also polished off all 4 3oz bottles of Titos. Uh...I think it MILDLY helped me. I definitely didn't get fucked up. Every. Fucking. Bump. I had to look at my daughter with a "is this ok?" face. So pathetic, but she and my wife are troopers and like flying. I think I thumb wrestled with my daughter for about 30 minutes to kill time. I think I would only truly relax when it came to landing, except we bounced on our landing in Dallas, which is a normal thing I guess, and our landing at LAX was like coming in like a rocket and then slamming on the brakes, which is because they have shorter landing strips there. Our flights are also completely full so lol covid and all that...

What part of California?  I have family in LA and in the Valley, and my company has an office in THE OC.  I haven't been there (or flown at all) since maybe a week or so before Covid took over (I really cut it close!).

My worst flight ever was a work trip from Baltimore to Austin where the turbulence was so bad, I swear the plan just dropped what felt like 30-60 feet a few times.  I thought we had a good chance of dying.  What made it worse was nervously looking over at my boss, only to see that fucker sleeping through the whole thing.  Fuuuuuck.

I don't mind flying at all, for the most part.  The worst part of my last trip was catching Rise of Skywalker on the way out and Joker on the way back, and hating them both.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:18 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I was on Lexapro for a few months and went to New Orleans for Wrestlemania.  I get there before everybody else did and with nothing to do went down Bourbon Street.  I didn't have anything above 7% alcohol beer and took my time with it plus a good lunch in all that.  Yet somehow when I met my friends at this nice place I was hammered and had no idea why.  It wasn't until mid last year where I found out taking that can make you more likely to get drunk.  So I told my friends that were there and at first they didn't believe me until I showed them proof.  They still mess with me about it but I can at least say I got hammered on Bourbon Street without really trying.  Thankfully that was the only time it happened that trip but I couldn't get off that medication fast enough (stopped working for me)

I was on Lexapro for a month. Never again. That was the worst. Didn't help that there was miscommunication somewhere and I got prescribed the max dosage. That, Zoloft and Prozac are the three worst things I've ever been through. Feel for you on that, I'd be terrified. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What part of California?  I have family in LA and in the Valley, and my company has an office in THE OC.  I haven't been there (or flown at all) since maybe a week or so before Covid took over (I really cut it close!).

My worst flight ever was a work trip from Baltimore to Austin where the turbulence was so bad, I swear the plan just dropped what felt like 30-60 feet a few times.  I thought we had a good chance of dying.  What made it worse was nervously looking over at my boss, only to see that fucker sleeping through the whole thing.  Fuuuuuck.

I don't mind flying at all, for the most part.  The worst part of my last trip was catching Rise of Skywalker on the way out and Joker on the way back, and hating them both.

We're staying in Fountain Valley since that's in the middle of about everything we're going to - the Getty, Aquarium of the Pacific, SD Zoo, Huntington Beach, Balboa, etc. Furthest place we're going to is Big Bear to go hiking. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've had that experience as well.  My worst experiences have been landings where it felt like the pilot misjudged the ground by 50 feet so we hit *HARD*.  

I absolutely hate flying - not because of what Craig experiences - but because flying is just so physically difficult for me.  The seats are painful and cramped and I am almost always sick afterwards.  And, yeah, I don't like "bumps" either.  I generally try to stay up very late the night before and then sleep during the flight.  My goal is to be asleep before takeoff and wake up on landing.  I've done that once - usually I end up just sleeping for the vast majority of the flight.  My wife hates me for it - she can't sleep on planes and I'm not awake to keep her company.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

I love flying. Even on long flights, I rarely, if ever, sleep.

The one time I did sleep through a whole flight was after being awake from Friday morning to Sunday morning partying in Miami and hopping a flight to Orlando to go to Wrestlemania 24. The moment I sat down on the plane, I was out like a light. And then I cried like a baby watching Ric Flair retire. Naitch would've been so proud of my escapades and all nighters that weekend lol. HORSEMEN STYLE.....! 

• Like 5

My wife is bouncing off the ceiling this morning,  Basically, she was involved in a road rage incident a week ago.  Guy pulled into a parking lot behind her, accused her of cutting him off a few blocks back.  Situation got out of hand, some passerbys intervened, punches were thrown, and the cops had to be called.  We were told the guy was being arrested.  Today, we found out that the charges were either dropped or never filed.  Cop I talked to claimed City Council got involved on the kid's behalf for pr reasons.  

Feel bad for the cops in this area.  We live in a college town where the police force is 20% understaffed (expected to be 25% by year-end) and the attitude towards police is not great.  Seems very much like the cops were trying to do their jobs and were prevented by circumstances beyond their control.  Fortunately, no one was hurt and my wife was more annoyed than scared (she swears she didn't cut the guy off).

On 6/11/2021 at 10:36 PM, Craig H said:

In my experience, for those with an aversion to flying it never gets good but it definitely gets easier. Up until this last year, I was probably averaging 20 flights per year and I still can't shake that 'this will be my last flight ever' feeling. I will say,  if you're doing long haul flights with multiple transits, like 4 hours -> 12 hours -> 3 hours, by that last flight you're totally ready to accept whatever comes because you just want it all to be over. 

I also can't sleep on flights. My wife and I have always been lucky and it seems like at least 1/2 of the long ( 8+ hour) flights we've been on, we can usually either get a row to ourselves, or a row each. Still, I can maaaaaybe doze for fifteen minutes at a time but the slightest turbulence and I'm wide awake again.  

So yeah, I'd say 'try not to overthink' or 'you're more likely to die on the way to the airport' but I also know what it's like to get trapped inside your head and be sure you'll happen to be on the 1-in-however million flights that end badly.