DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

I'm paraphrasing a certain US Senator here, but the verdict is just accountability for Derek Chauvin - it doesn't deliver true justice for George Floyd, his family, or countless others. That might be a hot take for some, but it shouldn't be. 

• Like 5

Houston Methodist has become the first hospital in the country to order employees to get vaccinated or be terminated.  Good.  Hopefully, this starts a trend.

One of the local hospital systems is considering this.  They recently started making non-vaccinated employees wear a badge that identifies (in big red letters) that the person has not been vaccinated.  I'm told at least a few people have gotten vaccinated rather than wear the scarlet letter.

• Like 6

On 4/22/2021 at 9:26 PM, Technico Support said:

So it’s nice to see the DOJ not letting them off the hook as they’re actually going to investigate the department. 

Word, agreed, and with any hope they'll investigate Breonna Taylor's case/the lack of charges pressed soon after... 

• Like 4

Catching up on the local news this morning and it's hard not to be disheartened.  Our state got over 50% of eligible residents vaccinated fairly easily, but progress has slowed to a crawl (# of daily shots administered is down to a fraction of what it was beginning of the month) and local social media is full of anti-vaxxers.  Trying not to draw too many conclusions from that because of the usual caveats (it's social media, it's a fairly small # of people commenting, people opposed to something are more likely to respond than people who are for it but not as passionate, etc.).  Governor wants 70% of people vaccinated before he drops mask order (we're currently in the 50-55% range), but I feel like that will be a tough sell.

To his credit, the governor is working hard to get out in the community and reach people who aren't likely just to call a vaccination center and make an appointment.

I feel like I may end up bitter at the sheer number of people who are going to keep us from getting out of this mess.  I feel like the path forward is going to have to be schools, workplaces, hospitals, etc. making vaccination mandatory, but that idea is already highly politicized so who knows. 

• Like 1

I had the Moderna vaccine yesterday (it was hard to find the vaccination centre, because it was on a road that doesn't exist). The nurse said to make sure to stay hydrated after, and then gave a list of possible side effects of the vaccine that sounded quite a lot like the exact symptoms of dehydration. Only I stayed well hydrated and still felt... not ill exactly, I don't get ill, but less than 100% anyway. I don't have a headache, but there's a bit of a buzzing somewhere in my brain. And a little lethargy, but that might just be from not sleeping much.

• Like 4

It's been a little bit since I built anything "substantial," like my daughter's desk or a sofa table. I was planning on building a new dresser for my daughter before our new kid arrives in September and on top of that, I wanted to build a new bed frame for her and a new bedroom set for the master bedroom.

But first, I need to finish putting a new floor in my bathroom. For a long while now I had heard about how expensive lumber and materials got, but I didn't put much stock into it. So I head to Home Depot for 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4" subfloor, 2 4x8 sheets of 1/4" underlayment, a couple 2x4s and a couple 2x6s.

Holy shit! The subfloor was $65 a sheet when it's normally $30 at the most, I forget how much the underlayment cost, but the 2x6s were $12 each! Fucking 2x4x8s were $9 each! I'm really kicking myself for not just doing this job over a year ago when I could have and letting it go until now when materials cost an arm and a leg.

So much for building any new furniture for probably the next year. Guess we'll have to settle for Ikea for a new dresser for my daughter, which sucks because I wanted to make that myself. In the meanwhile, I guess I'll stick with making cutting boards, bottle openers, blanket ladders, and other small things to try to sell them just to get the money to build at least one nice piece of furniture.

@Craig HI need to buy new slats for my daughter's bed and now you've got me dreading wood prices.

Space out your IKEA building projects, my dude.  I put together an L-shaped sectional AND a big entertainment center on the same day back in August (and then had to rearrange the whole room and remount the fucking TV on a different wall) and had to take off work the next day.

Edited by Technico Support

Oh, it'll just be a dresser from Ikea and that's it. I'm eventually still going to make a dresser and bed for my daughter and then a king size bed, dresser, and night stands for the master bedroom, but now it may not be until we hopefully move next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Oh, it'll just be a dresser from Ikea and that's it. I'm eventually still going to make a dresser and bed for my daughter and then a king size bed, dresser, and night stands for the master bedroom, but now it may not be until we hopefully move next year.

That's some next level handiness.  Good on ya.

2 hours ago, Control said:

I had an interview for a job that went really well. Not “swell news” worthy because I have no idea what they’ll decide, but I know I crushed it at least.

So you will finally be Professor Control and not just plain old Control?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So you will finally be Professor Control and not just plain old Control?

I’m Professor Control 8 months of the year on bad contracts. This would mean I’d be Professor Control for two whole years on a slightly better  contract that includes dental insurance.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Control said:

I’m Professor Control 8 months of the year on bad contracts. This would mean I’d be Professor Control for two whole years on a slightly better  contract that includes dental insurance.

BENEFITS~!  Yes, during the pandemic I have come to appreciate the fact that my job comes with paid health insurance.

And dental insurance is important.   Your smile should last a lifetime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

29387107_10155511376813862_6573905826912

I expected bad news this week but it was worse than that. Rayven who I adore has a tumor and there's a high percentage that it's cancer, a aggressive one. The Rayven means so much to me and my family. Rayven is so loving, friendly and loyal. Really hope it's not what it's said to be...

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Shit, I hope not either.  Losing a pet is incredibly awful and we're still having a hard time after losing our cat.  Hope things turn around. 

Thanks, @NikoBaltimore. Sorry for your loss. Losing pets suck.

This is a really tough situation because Rayven is the best pet we've ever had, she truly is special, what it might be - fuck cancer and we were told she's so young to have it, she's only five.

• Like 1

So Friday evening my father seemingly had a stroke which was a first time ever with him. It was short at just a 2-3 minutes, but a scary incident. The ambulance we called took him to the nearest hospital where he seemingly recovered quickly into Saturday afternoon only for him to have two smaller incidents later that night. I'm befuddled as to why then they felt he was good enough to home yesterday when there was no evidence they actually found the cause of the stokes and he was still having residual issues with his left side. I'm even more confused and pissed off as we just had to call him another ambulance to take him away not even an hour ago because I could heard him having a seizure.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Holy shit hope everything turns out okay. But that seems very fishy to me. 

Thank you. We eventually got him transported to a different hospital this time. Just going off of reactions we saw from paramedics and others at the current hospital it seems like even they are kind of wary of the quality of the one we usually go to. Apparently even the doctor from the first hospital had WTF response when he was told my father released from his hospital. I'm guessing there was a shitty lack of communication and probably too many newbies around. He is at least responsive and speaking again according to my sister so there is that though they are worried he has a slow bleeding in his brain. I'm not as worried for immediate issues as I was earlier though its the long terms effects I'm wondering about now.

• Like 1

Sorry to read about your Dad, @Eivion. Strokes are scary, my Nan had one. It's one thing if a hairdresser messes up your haircut, that can be fixed but when it's your health and health of loved ones at stake, that's entirely different. Thinking of you.

• Thanks 1

Rayven Clay was at the vets for her tumour yesterday, a biopsy. It's highly likely to be cancer and with where the tumour is, surgery isn't an option so it's end of life treatment. I pray it's not. Please let it be something other than that. If it is The Big C, it's heartbreaking as Rayven is loving, outgoing, placid and only 5. I LOVE the Rayven so much. Last week finding out it was a high possibility of cancer sucked and now if it's terminal is just soul destroying. Fucking devastated. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Thank you. We eventually got him transported to a different hospital this time. Just going off of reactions we saw from paramedics and others at the current hospital it seems like even they are kind of wary of the quality of the one we usually go to. Apparently even the doctor from the first hospital had WTF response when he was told my father released from his hospital. I'm guessing there was a shitty lack of communication and probably too many newbies around. He is at least responsive and speaking again according to my sister so there is that though they are worried he has a slow bleeding in his brain. I'm not as worried for immediate issues as I was earlier though its the long terms effects I'm wondering about now.

I know it's different situations but when it comes with issues of quality of care I would consider talking with however high up the food chain you can go about what's been done.  When things went south with my mother-in-law between myself and my sister-in-law we got whatever statements we possibly could as that's more evidence for the upcoming trial against the place.  Hopefully things turn around long-term for your father though but thankfully he's at a different hospital.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Rayven Clay was at the vets for her tumour yesterday, a biopsy. It's highly likely to be cancer and with where the tumour is, surgery isn't an option so it's end of life treatment. I pray it's not. Please let it be something other than that. If it is The Big C, it's heartbreaking as Rayven is loving, outgoing, placid and only 5. I LOVE the Rayven so much. Last week finding out it was a high possibility of cancer sucked and now if it's terminal is just soul destroying. Fucking devastated. 

It's terminal cancer. Found out today. I'm in fucking bits, constantly crying. One of the worst days of my life.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 12

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

It's terminal cancer. Found out today. I'm in fucking bits, constantly crying. One of the worst days of my life.

Oh, man I'm so sorry.  Losing a pet is one of the worst things to happen especially the closer they get to the family.  And 5 years is way too damn young so again really sorry to read that.  Hang in there, fella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1