DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

So I watched AJPW's 2-18 show. Kobayashi-Miyahara was a waste of time. I actually enjoyed their RWTL match for what it was, so I'm still holding out hope for the tag titles match. I'm hoping the post match leads to a more serious encounter. It seemed to be provoking laughter instead. 

Suwama/H Sato vs Kohei Sato/Ishikawa was an ok house show style main event. I am looking forward to Ishikawa-Kasai, Kasai has had two fun matches for the Gaora TV title. Suwama-Sato I'll watch eventually.

erJ4SROT?format=jpg&name=small

Tokyo Sports: For DDT,  it seems Jun Akiyama's style passdown will be known as 本道 or Main Road,  the main road of Pro-wrestling, Baba's technique and "Pro-wrestling is a battle",  plus it is not all about just fighting in the ring.

Not from that article but NOAH uses the term Misawa-ism I think post Misawa's death. NOAH however use different trainers for certain wrestlers and Kaito was trained by two former Osaka Pro guys Kotoge and Harada and had other supplemental training.

We need Uncle Jun to tour the US indies and teach main road lessons, lol. DDT is a good place to start though. Lots of talented wrestlers who don't emphasize the fight aspect of pro wrestling enough for me.

• Like 2

Abema Times article further confirmed The Main Road. To me it helps avoids brand confusion with Royal Road term AJP uses again. Anything current AJP does is the Royal Road now, just less Baba-ism.

Dino and others want to carry on  文化系プロレス or "Cultural Pro wrestling" or Cultural System. Arts and comedy and gimmicks etc.

Edited by D.Z

Think its worth noting, though I'm open to correction, that CIMA hasn't been submitted, knocked-out or pinned for a three count in a singles in Japan since OWE was established. He lost to Jun Tonsho in a 2-count match in W-1, Ultimate Spider Jr. took him to a 15-min draw in Colega earlier this month, that's been about it. So its going to be particularly interesting to see who takes the title off him, and in what manner it happens

Or, you know, he just refuses to do the job and the AJPW Jr. division just wipes itself out. That could also work.

From the DDT fan blog:

DDT “FRIENDSHIP, EFFORT, VICTORY IN NAGOYA 2021”, 23/02/2021
Nagoya Congress Center Event Hall

1. Hiroshi Yamato & Nobuhiro Shimatani Vs Keigo Nakamura & Toui Kojima
2. Chris Brookes & Maki Itoh Vs Antonio Honda & Saki Akai
3. DDT Megatonweight Single Match: Yuji Hino Vs Yuki Iino
4. KO-D 6-Man Tag Team Titles: Akito, Kazuki Hirata & Shota (c) Vs Sanshiro Takagi, HARASHIMA & Danshoku Dieno
5. Toru Owashi & Yukio Naya Vs Soma Takao & Mad Paulie
6. DAMNATION Vs DDT Sauna Club!: Tetsuya Endo & Daisuke Sasaki Vs Yuki Ueno & Shunma Katsumata
7. Special 8-Man Tag Match: Jun Akiyama, Makoto Oishi, Hideki Okatani & Yusuke Okada Vs CIMA, T-Hawk, El Lindaman & Shigehiro Irie
8. KO-D Tag Team Titles: Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi (c) Vs Konosuke Takeshita & MAO

Tomorrow sees DDT head to Nagoya for their second big show of the month. Eruption defends the KO-D Tag Team Titles against the DDT Sauna Club, Junretsu +1 clashes with #STRONGHEARTS, a generation battle over the KO-D 6-Man Tag Team Titles will take place and monsters collide when Yuki Iino faces Yuji Hino.

HINO VS. IINO with the Arby's amount of meat. Tag title main event looks great on paper. Akiyama and Cima. Itoh/Saki tag could be fun. 

2021 Champion Carnival participants 

◆ Suwama
◆ Zeus
◆ Kento Miyahara
◆ Shuji Ishikawa
◆ Jake Lee
◆ Yuma Aoyagi
◆ Shotaro Ashino
◆ Koji Doi 
◆ Kohei Sato
◆ Shinjiro Otani

A bit underwhelming, but at least there’s no filler. Surprised there’s no Yoshitatsu.

No Irie or Ayato Yoshida is disappointing. Both were dropped from the last lineup.

I’m reading on Twitter that there will be no blocks—just one round-robin.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

They had no blocks for 2001 and for other years pre 2002.

AJP spoilers

Spoiler

Enfants Terribles betrayed Ashino, Jake Lee joined Enfants Terribles later and betrayed Koji Iwamoto.

Triple Crown champion Suwama will face Yoshitatsu next.

All Japan returns to Ota Ward Gymnasium for the first time since 2013 May 16.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

More AJPW stuff

Tajiri is high on Yuma and Jake, so we will see if he will push both more. 

Kento been calling Abby Abdullah The Kobayashi and Abby has been calling both Kento and Daisuke Kensuke.

Spoiler

Looks like the betrayed will be joining up with Suwama.

2da6a82e71f03a7818bdca0616ba8dfa.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

Happy with the shakeup in the stables, actually.

As for the TC

Hide contents

Yoshitatsu is one of my least favourite dudes, but he brings it in main events and is a surprisingly good partner for Suwama.

I intend to watch the Sato-Suwama match tonight, I think the next challenger is actually solid. Should be different from the last few challengers.

Glad to see Tajiri likes Lee and Yuma.

I don't want Shinjiro Otani to win this year CC but I wouldn't mind him pinning the Triple Crown champion to set up a future TC challenge.

If Shuji Ishikawa wins the AJPW TV title...he wants AJP to seal away from using Deathmatches as in not doing another one again.

Not sure if the Sumo Hall show Suwama suggested morphed into doing the Ota Ward show (2021 Champions Night~三冠統一の地から) instead but it seems it did. The Ota Ward show will start the road to 50th years of AJPW,  the big show next year will be on Oct 22 2022 or maybe not.

I think AJPW should book several non AJPW wrestlers to help boost next years big show attendance and ticket sales.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1