DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Wait... a Magnum Tokyo tribute act?

I'm kinda intrigued by this, as long as it involves a guy coming out to Magnum's music and dancing with back-up dancers nd that's about it

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Wait... a Magnum Tokyo tribute act?

I'm kinda intrigued by this, as long as it involves a guy coming out to Magnum's music and dancing with back-up dancers nd that's about it

James

Well, that's exactly what it is, except for the back-up cancers:

Edited by The Z

It will depend on how the coin toss goes I guess but it would be kind of neat if Miyahara gets pinned by Aoyagi AND Jake back to back (like Choshu going 0-3 in the first G1), then has to build himself back up over a year or so to reclaim his position as The Man. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

It will depend on how the coin toss goes I guess but it would be kind of neat if Miyahara gets pinned by Aoyagi AND Jake back to back (like Choshu going 0-3 in the first G1), then has to build himself back up over a year or so to reclaim his position as The Man. 

Then who gets the win? Someone has to get two Ws.

The set up of the last one is really hard to beat: a draw that tires out the first two entrants, and then easy wins for entrant 3.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

Bahu posted a translation of Jun Kasai's book. It's a rough translation but it's all pretty comprehensible and very interesting

http://fmwwrestling.us/Kasai1.html

Read it in like an hour, easy read despite the choppy language, some of my favorite little bits

-Seeing Cannibal Holocaust in theaters as a young kid with his mom
-First impression of Ryuji Ito "A serious bean sprout wearing glasses"
-The only two guys he's seen to have an "alien" like deathwish like him - Masashi Takeda and Toshiyuki Sakuda
-Not really knowing anything going into the Un F'n Believable match, after the match he's getting cleaned up and some girl is dancing around topless. Then Justice Pain drives him home and gives him painkillers and he has to pull over to puke
-I thought he had stopped the balcony dives due to injuries, but apparently Shin-kiba and Korakuen Hall banned them. Says Shin-kiba is a crazier dive than Korakuen.
-I honestly have zero recollection of his scaffold match with Miyamoto, and he apparently loved it and doesn't like that it's not well remembered either.
-Kayfabe is mostly kept here, so I can't fully tell, but it almost sounds like he went into business for himself to call out Ito and get the match booked that he had been trying for 7 years. Pretty insane. Big Japan seemingly hates making money and pushing stars. BJW in general comes off bad here, and as he conveys there's a lot of wrestlers there who are held back from wrestling the deathmatches they want. He saw how Sakuda was being discouraged from going all out and managed to influence him to become a freelancer. You can tell guys like Sakuda love doing cutting edge crazy matches like they can in Freedoms and GCW. BJW is almost like CZW now.
-Sounds like he didn't make a reliable living till maybe after the Ito match, which is crazy when you see how over he was in the years leading up to that. Has to work a lot of part time jobs when he's injured, and has opted out of many knee surgeries.
-Memory is getting worse, doesn't feel comfortable doing more acting work since he can't remember lines well.
-Doesn't remember anything after getting powerbombed through the ring in his finals match against Masada (2015?), the only time he can think of he lost significant memory
-Toru Sugiura panic quit deathmatches around 2013, got back into them in 2018 and is now one of the best in the world at them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Control said:

Then who gets the win? Someone has to get two Ws.

The set up of the last one is really hard to beat: a draw that tires out the first two entrants, and then easy wins for entrant 3.

There's a few ways they could do it that I would definitely get behind. 

They could have Aoyagi score an upset early over Miyahara in match 1, leading to Miyahara being thrown off his game and losing again to Jake in match 2, then Jake proves he is the strongest by narrowly beating a still-game Aoyagi in match 3.

Another option could be Jake pinning Miyahara in match 1 at like the 29 minute mark but teasing a draw, leading to Aoyagi scoring a fairly easy win over Miyahara in match 2, with Jake soldiering forth and winning match 3 for the belts.,

Or, since we just had a long Miyahara/Jake CC final, maybe Jake destroys Miyahara quickly in match 1, Aoyagi seizes the chance to get a win over a winded Miyahara in match 2, then Jake proves his dominance by beating Aoyagi in the final. 

Basically any equation that ends with a Jake vs Aoyagi tiebreaker final match makes the most sense to me, with Miyahara dropping falls clean to both guys. It's too early for an Aoyagi title reign, and as mentioned earlier if Jake loses again he's in Hirooki Goto territory in terms of blowing his chance one too many times. Miyahara can afford to lose to both guys and take some time away from the TC picture.to "rebuild", and Aoyagi will look stronger as a potential future challenger for Jake if he gets a singles win over Miyahara out of the deal.

One very goofy option I suppose they could consider but I'm almost positive they won't is having a draw in the final of the three matches (rather than in the first match like in the 97 Carny final). This would lead to a situation where one guy collected two belts and the other guy still has his one belt (and the third guy is the big loser with no belt). For instance, say Miyahara beats Aoyagi in match 1 to collect his belt, Jake beats Aoyagi (who now has no belt to collect, after having already dropped it to Miyahara) in match 2, and Miyahara and Jake go 30:00 in match 3...you could set up a big rematch a month from now where both guys have to fight again to decisively unify the three titles. Convoluted but it would allow them to build some intrigue with fans waiting for the big payoff unification match after only partially teasing it the first time.  

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
New stupid theory involving a 3-3-0 tie.
  • Like 1

I'm all for Jake just dominating Miyahara, Aoyagi then sneaking a quick win and getting a big Jake v Aoyagi decider. 

In other news and not having to rely on my dodgy Japanese to translate, another forbidden door opens! SHO will take on Takanori Ito at next week's GLEAT show. Hoping we can see some GLEAT guys in New Japan, I'm a huge Minoru Tanaka fan and would love to see him have one more run there with a big list of fresh opponents.

Edited by Horangi
Autocorrect fix
  • Like 2

-I honestly have zero recollection of his scaffold match with Miyamoto, and he apparently loved it and doesn't like that it's not well remembered either.

Christmas 2013. It's a really good match, but it didn't air on Samurai and just released on Commercial video. He didn't like the magazine that week gave more attention to the semi-main of Takashi Sasaki vs. Minoru Fujita which wasn't as good of a match.

-Doesn't remember anything after getting powerbombed through the ring in his finals match against Masada (2015?), the only time he can think of he lost significant memory

Death Match Carnival 2012. It was the biggest FREEDOMS show/match at the time until 2018. 

Edited by BAHU

In other news and not having to rely on my dodgy Japanese to translate, another forbidden door opens! SHO will take on Takanori Ito at next week's GLEAT show. Hoping we can see some GLEAT guys in New Japan, I'm a huge Minoru Tanaka fan and would love to see him have one more run there with a big list of fresh opponents.

Came here to post this, found I'd been beaten to the punch. NJPW has officially confirmed this here.

Count me as another who'd love to see Minoru Tanaka make a return visit to NJPW. I lost track of him after he left the first time around, but I agree he'd be both a familiar and fresh face to see come back. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle

NJPW vs UWF like the old days, another element bringing NJPW closer to what they used to be.

SHO's MMA background should come in handy, and his training in catch too. NJPW still at least trains wrestlers to do catch in the NJPW Japanese dojo to this day.

• Like 1

AJPW:

Yoshitatsu's next different style fight is soon, Yoshitatsu vowed to win his match for Oda Nobunaga. The upcoming match has significance, 45 years ago Inoki vs Ali happened on June 26 1976, also Ota Ward Gym is where the first NJPW show in 1972 happened.

20210624-03340680-tospoweb-000-4-view.jp

• Haha 1

AJPW news:

All Japan Wrestling trainee Ryoma Tsukamoto will debut soon, he has junior size and weight so he will be a Junior. So that increases AJPW roster to 21 contracted.

Another Ota Ward show in oct.

The next challengers for the Triple Crown:

Spoiler

Ashino then Shuji Ishikawa. 

Anyway Jake Lee is a trueborn and he won the Triple Crown, he one of the top guys now. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

What (a) great match(es). It pains me to say this because Suwama is one of my favorite wrestlers ever but they were able to accomplish so much more with this 3-way than they would have been able to do with a Suwama/Jake title change. Aoyagi took both guys to the limit and looked like a star, Miyahara lost his chance to avenge his CC finals loss because he was already too drained from taking on Aoyagi, and Jake was able to look strong beating both guys without either of his matches feeling like a cop-out because he was going against a tired opponent (compare Jake vs Miyahara, for instance, to Kawada vs Misawa from the Carny final). 

This booking also creates two rematches we want to see right away as Miyahara and Aoyagi will both want another shot at Jake without having already fought one another. Plus Suwama will want his shot when he's better. The finish and celebration afterwards felt like the culmination of a patient, long-term build to Jake as top guy. Reminded me a lot of WrestleMania X where you had Bret, Owen, Luger and Yoko all pitted against one another in various ways that lead to a lot of intrigue in the aftermath, but was also a satisfying conclusion as a stand-alone night  Just loved the match so much. 

Spoilers and my ecstatic reaction to the TC decision match. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
More stuff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Control said:

This year’s Oudou Tournament is a 32-man single elimination tournament:

Nice to see Yoshida, Irie, and T-Hawk in there.

I'm surprised they'd put SUGI over the champ clean, but why else would they book it? ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Here is your new Triple Crown Champ with all 4 belts

Hide contents

E4zds9FUUAQf4U6.jpg

I never noticed he looks a bit like a really big Yoshinari Ogawa.

• Like 3

More AJPW:

The 3 Triple Crown belts have been returned back to where they belong, the Baba family. Noticed sometimes the PWF title has a newer main plate shown in exhibits, they used the older worn out design main plate for this show.

The TV title value will be further raised over time, moving away from what Jun booked it as.

The 3 dudes we all know in pic below want to face the current 6 man tag champs.

e38090e8a9a6e59088e8a9b3e7b4b0e380916efb

Edited by D.Z

「94年のジュニアヘビー ~ザ・スコア~」はテレビ朝日のプロレス中継番組「ワールドプロレスリング」のテーマソングに使用されている Emerson, Lake & Powell 「The Score」を引用し、1994年に行われた興行「SUPER J-CUP」「BEST OF THE SUPER Jr.」の激闘について歌った1曲。

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’d like to think that AJ continuing to include Nomura on their posters is a good sign.

Some upcoming matches from the tour:

Tag titles: Kento & Yuma vs Kuma & Doi

Junior title: Akira Francesco vs SUGI

AA titles: Zeus & Izanagi vs T-Hawk & El Lindaman

#1 Contender match: Ashino vs Ishikawa