DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

The NJPW collection stuff isn't really a sign I think. All the Ospreay/Cobb cards unavailable are the pre-United Empire ones (Cobb does have a UE 3 star in circulation currently), they did the same to EVIL when he switched to Bullet Club.

All of Jay White's cards became sold out after Wrestle Kingdom when those WWE rumours circulated, none of the newer cards have re-entered circulation yet (anything after G1 last year hasn't come back into circulation yet).

I'm too addicted to the app I think -_-

• Like 1

DDT/NOAH/TOKYO JOSHI PRO/GANBARE☆PRO “CYBERFIGHT FESTIVAL 2021”, 06/06/2021
Saitama Super Arena

0. STARTING BATTLE KICKOFF ~Tokyo Joshi Pro Offer 10-Woman Tag Match~: Mirai Maiumi, Suzume, Haruna Neko, Moka Miyamoto & Arisu Endo Vs Nao Kakuta, Raku, Pom Harajuku, Mahiro Kiryu & Kaya Toribami
0. STARTING BATTLE ~ Staggered Admission Battle Royal: Yoshiaki Yatsu Vs Toru Owashi Vs Kazuki Hirata Vs Makoto Oishi Vs Saki Akai Vs Antonio Honda Vs Yusuke Okada Vs Yuya Koroku Vs Yuji Hino Vs Yuna Manase Vs Shu Sakurai Vs NOAH Wrestlers TBA
0. STARTING BATTLE MAIN ~ Ganbare☆Pro Wrestling Offer Match: Ken Ohka, Keisuke Ishhi & Shota Vs Shuichiro Katsumura, Kouki Iwasaki & Yumehito Imanari
1. DDT Vs NOAH Battle: Yuki Iino, Keigo Nakamura & Toui Kojima Vs Junta Miyawaki, Kinya Okada & Yasutaka Yano
2. Match Provided By Tokyo Joshi Pro: Hikari Noa, Mizuki & Yuki Arai Vs Maki Itoh, Yuki Kamifuku & Marika Kobashi
3. 3 Way Tag Match Provided By Tokyo Joshi Pro: Rika Tatsumi & Miu Watanabe Vs Shoko Nakajima & Hyper Misao Vs Nodoka Tenma & Yuki Aino
4. Match Provided By NOAH: Atsushi Kotoge, Daisuke Harada & Hajime Ohara Vs Yoshinari Ogawa, HAYATA & Seiki Yoshioka
5. Match Provided By DDT: Daisuke Sasaki, Tetsuya Endo & Soma Takao (w/ Mad Paulie) Vs Chris Brookes, Shunma Katsumata & MAO
6. DDT Vs Kongo Full Scale 14-Man Tag Team Match: Sanshiro Takagi, Akito, Kazusada Higuchi, Yukio Sakaguchi, Naomi Yoshimura, Yukio Naya & Hideki Okatani Vs Kenoh, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masa Kitamiya, Manabu Soya, Haoh, Nioh & Tadasuke
7. DDT Vs NOAH Battle: Danshoku Dieno & Super Sasadango Machine Vs NOAH X & NOAH X
8. DDT Vs NOAH Battle: Konosuke Takeshita & Yuki Ueno Vs Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura
9. Princess Of Princess Title – Triple Main Event I: Miyu Yamashita (c) Vs Yuka Sakazaki
10. KO-D Openweight Title – Triple Main Event II: Jun Akiyama (c) Vs HARASHIMA
11. GHC Heavyweight Title – Triple Main Event III: Keiji Muto (c) Vs Naomichi Marufuji

The IWGP decision match is such a dumb idea and immediately reminds me of the Tanahashi vs Bernard decision match nobody cared about back in...2006? I agree with the previous post saying it should just be vacated and held up in the G1, it would give the G1 added prestige amidst a challenging year for the company and feel like a good opportunity to hit the 'reset' button a little. 

Even if they couldn't wait until August, at least do an 8 man decision tournament (or a 16 man tournament over two days although you'd have to pad it with juniors). I would use Okada, Shingo, Ibushi, Cobb, SANADA, Naito, Goto and Ishii...the one-night, anyone-can-win element would give you a bunch of options as far as who to elevate. Ten time losers like Goto or Ishii could suddenly make it to the finals and have a 'last stand' kind of moment. Or you could throw Cobb (or Taichi, who could easily take the place of any of the guys listed above) in the finals and see how seriously the crowd takes him as an IWGP contender. 

I keep hearing Meltzer talk about the 'skeleton crew' they're operating with but the New Japan roster is still stacked compared to most other companies. They used the pandemic last year as a chance to do something unexpected with Evil's title win...they could do something similarly radical here, since their backs are against a wall anyway. Just learn from their mistake with Evil and better protect/ensure a variety of fresh opponents lined up for whoever they put the belt on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

The IWGP decision match is such a dumb idea and immediately reminds me of the Tanahashi vs Bernard decision match nobody cared about back in...2006? I agree with the previous post saying it should just be vacated and held up in the G1, it would give the G1 added prestige amidst a challenging year for the company and feel like a good opportunity to hit the 'reset' button a little. 

I agree with you that having a 8-man, possibly two-day tournament was the option I would have gone with.  That being said, the answer is staring them right in the face.  The fans who have been in attendance and the fans online are seemingly all saying the same thing:

Give the belt to Shingo.

Shingo Takagi, a.k.a. the guy who has been more or less carrying your company since January. (well, earlier than that, but I don't want to nitpick.) 

Like everything else, my cynical heart tells me they're going with Okada.  If so, then have Cobb defeat Ibushi and step up to the plate.  Cobb is 38, his time, like Takagi, is also right fucking now.   Okada (or Shingo, in the WK rematch) vs. Cobb is a thousand times more intriguing than Naito vs. Evil's sloppy snoozefests from last year.  

I think New Japan still has a stacked roster if you consider what will finally be available to them post-pandemic regarding international travel and if they maintain current relationships with AEW, Impact, and CMLL, not to mention the names recently appearing on NJPW Strong (Lawlor, Dickinson, Rosser, Lio Rush, Clark Connors are all ready to go when the time is right, for example).  

So yeah, I speak from direct experience, it's been a shitty situation over here in Japan, aggravatingly so, and I think to a certain extent people from outside Japan don't fully grasp how vague everything has been from our "leadership" (the quotes are intentional) and how it's affecting everyone, myself included.  So, I do sympathize with New Japan's struggles, perhaps more than others.

If I'm being truly objective though, it's the booking, full stop.  Injuries do mess things up, I get it.  So then, here we are, NJPW bookers, it's really fucking easy:  listen to your fans, and act accordingly.    

• Like 4

ZERO1 announced the full field for this year’s Fire Festival tournament.

A block
• Fuminori Abe
• Hartley Jackson
• Masato Tanaka
• Shinjiro Otani
• Tsugutaka Sato
• Yoshiki Inamura

B block
• Ayato Yoshida
• Chris Vice
• Shigehiro Irie
• Shogun Okamoto
• Takafumi
• Takuya Sugawara

I have not watched Zero One in quite some time. Not familiar with a lot of the names. 

I know who they all are, but I don't bother with Zero 1 much.

Shogun Okamoto background is sumo and used to work for IGF. Both Tsugutaka Sato and Takafumi were from W-1 dojo and worked for defunct W-1

Edited by D.Z
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

Abe, Irie, and Yoshida are all great. Wonder how much of this will be televised.

I don't know. I just checked the Samurai TV schedule. No fire fest shows are scheduled, but today's show will be shown next week and Aja Kong is on it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2021 at 5:42 AM, Evil Otto said:

I agree with you that having a 8-man, possibly two-day tournament was the option I would have gone with.  That being said, the answer is staring them right in the face.  The fans who have been in attendance and the fans online are seemingly all saying the same thing:

Give the belt to Shingo.

Shingo Takagi, a.k.a. the guy who has been more or less carrying your company since January. (well, earlier than that, but I don't want to nitpick.) 

Like everything else, my cynical heart tells me they're going with Okada.  If so, then have Cobb defeat Ibushi and step up to the plate.  Cobb is 38, his time, like Takagi, is also right fucking now.   Okada (or Shingo, in the WK rematch) vs. Cobb is a thousand times more intriguing than Naito vs. Evil's sloppy snoozefests from last year.  

I think New Japan still has a stacked roster if you consider what will finally be available to them post-pandemic regarding international travel and if they maintain current relationships with AEW, Impact, and CMLL, not to mention the names recently appearing on NJPW Strong (Lawlor, Dickinson, Rosser, Lio Rush, Clark Connors are all ready to go when the time is right, for example).  

So yeah, I speak from direct experience, it's been a shitty situation over here in Japan, aggravatingly so, and I think to a certain extent people from outside Japan don't fully grasp how vague everything has been from our "leadership" (the quotes are intentional) and how it's affecting everyone, myself included.  So, I do sympathize with New Japan's struggles, perhaps more than others.

If I'm being truly objective though, it's the booking, full stop.  Injuries do mess things up, I get it.  So then, here we are, NJPW bookers, it's really fucking easy:  listen to your fans, and act accordingly.    

C&P from the NJPW Dominion 2021 thread:

I was hoping Minoru Suzuki would win the vacant IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. My other preferences were Tomohiro Ishii and Shingo Takagi so least one of them made it. I'm a big fan of Kazuchika Okada but I'd like Shingo Takagi as the new IWGP Heavyweight Champion. I think Gedo will go with Okada though.

understand why Kazuchika Okada will win but I'd rather go with someone new in Shingo Takagi. We wouldn't be in this position if Takagi won the New Japan Cup and beat Kota Ibushi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship in the first place rather than Will Ospreay.

One for @Custos:

E2e2_zHXoAkrpFi?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

Goto, Shibata, Ishii, Suzuki, Sanada all never won the deactivated IWGP HW, Evil and Kota did however (with the defunct IC as the double crown)

For the newly created IWGP World HW, Shingo has yet to win that title....

Edited by D.Z

Due to the "events" of Monday they also changed the DDT vs. KONGO 14-Man Tag to a 12-Man Tag and Masa Kitamiya will now face Hideki Okatani in a Singles Match.

I wonder how long this show will end up being? This is now the 12th match on the main show plus three dark matches. 6-7 hours? I mean the three big title matches alone will probably take up 90-120 minutes.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:55 AM, Belgian_Waffle said:

Even if they couldn't wait until August, at least do an 8 man decision tournament (or a 16 man tournament over two days although you'd have to pad it with juniors). I would use Okada, Shingo, Ibushi, Cobb, SANADA, Naito, Goto and Ishii...the one-night, anyone-can-win element would give you a bunch of options as far as who to elevate. Ten time losers like Goto or Ishii could suddenly make it to the finals and have a 'last stand' kind of moment. Or you could throw Cobb (or Taichi, who could easily take the place of any of the guys listed above) in the finals and see how seriously the crowd takes him as an IWGP contender. 

I keep hearing Meltzer talk about the 'skeleton crew' they're operating with but the New Japan roster is still stacked compared to most other companies. They used the pandemic last year as a chance to do something unexpected with Evil's title win...they could do something similarly radical here, since their backs are against a wall anyway. Just learn from their mistake with Evil and better protect/ensure a variety of fresh opponents lined up for whoever they put the belt on. 

I think the issue is that we just had NJ Cup. Yes, NJPW likes to do lots of tournaments, but I'm not sure if I would be very hyped for another NJ Cup so soon. Besides, if the plan was for Okada to beat Ospreay then might as well cut the bullshit and get there as simply and quickly as possible.

16 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

The man above is BY FAR the best British wrestler on the planet right now.  And it's not even close.  

Agreed. Best British wrestler and one of the best in the world.

14 hours ago, Control said:

In the freeze frame, he’s got that Guy-interviewing-Trump-about-covid expression.

LOL.

That was a super fun show, six hours that just flew by!

I think this was a huge success for CyberFight and I'm so happy Covid couln't put a stop to it.

All three title matches delivered big time. The DDT vs. Kongo 12-Man Tag was a fantastic showcase and pretty much delivered everything you could want from a match like that. Kitamiya/Inamura vs. Takeshita/Ueono was great also as well as all three Six-Man Tag Showcase matches.

Strong show of the year candidate!

• Like 2