DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Did Billy Black ever have any really good matches in AJPW? I was just watching a tv block from 1991 that had him and Deaton vs Kroffat and Furnas. Billy was kind of impressive. Gangly and stuff so his work never exactly looks "crisp" but for a bigger guy he could move, had a decent moonsault, had a good spinkick, timing was solid...any buried treasure of his worth checking out?

8 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Did Billy Black ever have any really good matches in AJPW? I was just watching a tv block from 1991 that had him and Deaton vs Kroffat and Furnas. Billy was kind of impressive. Gangly and stuff so his work never exactly looks "crisp" but for a bigger guy he could move, had a decent moonsault, had a good spinkick, timing was solid...any buried treasure of his worth checking out?

I remember enjoying a RWTL match with Black & Joel Deaton vs Misawa & Kawada on Ginnetty's 1992 TV set! Gave me very similar thoughts: These guys aren't bad! Who are they? (Deaton, of course, was aka "Thunderfoot")

I also seem to vaguely recall them doing a good job bumping and selling for Andre & Baba as a team.

I found this online looking for the RWTL match. Haven't watched it yet but I was geeked to see Canada's Greatest Athlete Gene Kiniski doing the pre-match announcements. 

Edit: Aout 4 minutes in now, and I'm laughing because the handful of people in the crowd chanting for Billy Black sounds just like a weekday Osaka Pro crowd chanting for Billyken Kid.

One more edit: Billy Black is way more athletic than you'd think, just looking at him. He also seems to have a solid grounding in chain wrestling. This match has a very hot finishing sequence. It's well worth a watch!

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

The premier junior tournament in Japan, All Japan’s Jr. Battle of Glory, has been announced. This year it will be a single elimination tournament. Opening round matches:

Atsuki Aoyagi vs SUGI
Black Mensore vs Yusuke Kodama
Dan Tamura vs Tatsuhito Takaiwa
TAJIRI vs Akira Francesco
Omori Hokuto vs Hikaru Sato
Fuminori Abe vs Devil Purple (mystery Purple Haze guy)
Izanagi vs Brahman Kei
El Lindaman vs Rising Hayato

Iwamoto isn’t in the tournament, which seems to tip their hat that they’re putting the belt back on him. The slightest outside chance that he moves to heavyweight, but he is very short.

Edited by Control

11 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I remember enjoying a RWTL match with Black & Joel Deaton vs Misawa & Kawada on Ginnetty's 1992 TV set! Gave me very similar thoughts: These guys aren't bad! Who are they? (Deaton, of course, was aka "Thunderfoot")

I also seem to vaguely recall them doing a good job bumping and selling for Andre & Baba as a team.

I found this online looking for the RWTL match. Haven't watched it yet but I was geeked to see Canada's Greatest Athlete Gene Kiniski doing the pre-match announcements. 

Edit: Aout 4 minutes in now, and I'm laughing because the handful of people in the crowd chanting for Billy Black sounds just like a weekday Osaka Pro crowd chanting for Billyken Kid.

One more edit: Billy Black is way more athletic than you'd think, just looking at him. He also seems to have a solid grounding in chain wrestling. This match has a very hot finishing sequence. It's well worth a watch!

Thanks!! I'm gonna watch all that tonight. 

Here's a link to the Kroffat/Furnas match (JIP, starts at 18:35) if you're curious. Crowd is pretty hot and everyone is working super hard. 

https://youtu.be/0E82-SROmGQ

• Like 1

On a whim decided to check out BJW Core today. Watched some of the Death Match Survivor tournament from this year. So far the best one was Hideyoshi Kamitani vs Yuki Ishikawa. I didn't know Kamitani was doing death matches now. I thought he was good there but he was great here. I loved him covering a spot where some light tubes didn't break, when Yuki finally broke them he fell forward like they were the only thing propping him up.

Minoru Fujita does a kinda sorta comedy thing in his matches? I mean, I wouldn't kick out of a back slide on a nail board but it seemed odd given what lead to that. 

If you thought the clap only crowds sucked in the G1, try no cheering death matches! It is disquieting at first until you just kinda get into it.

Does anyone know what became of American Balloon?  I thought of him today for  the first time in a long time and am wondering what became of him.

I vaguely remember him debating whether to stay in Japan or not, and I think he got a job teaching school?

(For those who aren't familiar with him, he was a beefy boy high-flyer who went to Japan and worked the indies over there, culminating in kinda regular gigs with DDT and Zero-1.  He used to post here under his gimmick name in the... late 00's, I guess.  He retired around 2008 or so - DDT had a retirement show for him in 2010, per Cagematch - but I'm fairly sure he was still working DDT when he used to post here.)

Edited by Eoae

This may not mean anything, but:

I play the NJPW Collection game that they always advertise on their streaming service. (It's a complete waste of time but I am kind of addicted to it).

I noticed yesterday that all of Jay White's cards and all of Jeff Cobb's cards are marked as "sold out" which is the game's way of saying that those cards are no longer available. This happened very suddenly and even the newer cards of those two wrestlers are marked that way. 

There is a non-zero chance that this means (could possibly mean, potentially...) that both men have left New Japan.

And, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, a bunch of Ospreay cards were marked as sold out yesterday but are not marked as such today.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Thanks 1