DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

20210224-00015209-bbmv-000-1-view.jpg

If Kota Ibushi unifies both IWGP HW and IWGP IC, he thinks IWGP World would be a good name for the new sole belt and design. However while the lineage will remain,  the history and records of both belts would be lost and finished forever.

Still strong chance Naito could stop the unification.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, D.Z said:

20210224-00015209-bbmv-000-1-view.jpg

If Kota Ibushi unifies both IWGP HW and IWGP IC, he thinks IWGP World would be a good name for the new sole belt and design. However while the lineage will remain,  the history and records of both belts would be lost and finished forever.

Still strong chance Naito could stop the unification.

Such an intriguing match to see what happens with the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship. Not sure if it will take place with Naito's injury.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, Control said:

2021 Champion Carnival participants 

◆ Suwama
◆ Zeus
◆ Kento Miyahara
◆ Shuji Ishikawa
◆ Jake Lee
◆ Yuma Aoyagi
◆ Shotaro Ashino
◆ Koji Doi 
◆ Kohei Sato
◆ Shinjiro Otani

Don’t get me wrong: I’m still disappointed in this lineup. And the lack of workrate in AJ generally. But there are some fresh matchups to look forward to, like Ashino vs Zeus and Lee, and Doi, Sato, and Otani vs pretty much anyone. I’m particularly intrigued by Sato vs Kento and Ishikawa, for some reason. And most of the usual matchups are still quite good (e.g. every combo of Kento and Zeus and Ishikawa always delivers).

Gotta hope they finally give it to Lee and follow it up with a title win, though.

• Like 1

Man, the crowd was rabid for Tetsuya Naito here vs. Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 12. Everybody thought Naito would win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship here but it shocked us all that it didn't. It's debated to this day. Said match also saw Kazuchika Okada debut the pants he wrestled in for a time from them till next year's WK. In the end it thankfully all worked out for Naito beating Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 14 for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship to go with his IWGP Intercontinental Championship. I love the story about the Stardust Press:

Spoiler

Naito goes for it at Wrestle Kingdom 12, but missed it and will lose the match. Naito goes for the move again at Wrestle Kingdom 14 despite what happened two years earlier. This time he actually hits it, you think that's it but Okada kicks out in one of the best false finishes ever.

The Okada/Naito story at the Tokyo Dome dates back to Wrestle Kingdom 8 as said match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship is beaten by public vote to decide the main event of the show by Shinsuke Nakamura/Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

I gave ***** to Okada/Naito at Wrestle Kingdom 14. However the best Okada/Naito match was at the 40th Anniversary Show 2012. That's ***** as well.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, Matt D said:

I need @El Gran Gordi to review this:

Overall, I'd rate this match-up above, say, Choshu vs Tenryu 5/4/93, but a fair bit below 21/6/85. Definitely not on the same level as the '86 Tenryu & Jumbo vs Choshu & Yatsu tags.

In all seriousness, I really loved this. I first visited Japan with the woman who is now my wife and the mother of my children, in 2005. I knew, from the moment I was first part of a Japanese wrestling crowd (at a NOAH show in Yokohama) that we would move here some day. The other big factor that sealed it for me was Japanese food culture. The first time we went to an izakaya I knew immediately that I needed to try everything on the menu, and the only way to do that would be to live here.

A lot of how I made friends with Kuuga and Ebessan and the Osaka Pro crew was by going out to eat and drink and really getting into enjoying and discussing every detail of the food and so on. Watching this was kind of like getting to do so with Choshu and Tenryu. 

When I saw the announcer and the ring bell, I thought at first this would be an eating contest. Osaka Pro once held a contest where several wrestlers competed to see who could finish their giant bowl of ramen topped with a mountain of bean sprouts the fastest. Zeus and I cheated to help Ebessan win. I think Tigers Mask was legit disappointed that I didn't help him instead. But this was not a speed eating contest.

Obsessive food conversation is such a huge part of my experience of Japanese culture. Tuesday was a holiday and my family made a special trip to Lotteria for dinner. I love their shake-em-in-a-bag flavoured french fries (furu pote). My kids had never tried them before, because there isn't a Lotteria near our home. we tried all four flavours (pizza, salt seaweed, consommé , butter soy sauce), sharing, and then after the meal we gave our rankings. We do stuff like that all the time. I didn't even have to encourage my kids. Of course that's what we were going to do in that situation.

To be honest. I'm not quite sure what the "contest" portion of this video amounted to. Most refined palate? Best description? Identify the secret ingredient? 

My Japanese is not good enough to catch everything, but I got the gist of it. Choshu definitely focused more on the flavours and Tenryu seemed more concerned with mouthfeel and texture. Tenru seemed to think that some sake might have been nice and I'm strongly inclined to agree there. Choshu made fun of Tenryu for using a spoon rather than chopsticks, but Tenryu wanted a bigger spoon so he could get more soup with each mouthful.

Every area of Japan has its special dishes and local food and travelling around Japan and enjoying "meibutsu" culture is maybe my favourite thing to do. March 8th is Mackerel Day in Japan, for pun-related reasons. I am not sure where this contest takes place. I'd ask my wife but she's at work now. Tokyo Mackerel is famous for being nice and oily. Yamada Suisan fisheries seem to be sponsoring this contest, and they have a branch in Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture, which is a port for one of the world's three largest fishing grounds, and known for its mackerel. Tenryu is eating "sauce katsu" style mackerel (deep fried with a sweet and sour type of brown sauce). Sauce katsu is a specialty of Fukui prefecture, which also has good mackerel. Tenryu seems to be eating grilled mackerel with soft boiled egg. I'm disappointed that we never got a really good clear look inside the bowls. 

My favourite thing was Choshu taking his time deciding whether to taste the fish cutlet or have some daikon radish first. My second-favourite thing was Tenryu trying to keep character and then finally breaking into a smile.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Overall, I'd rate this match-up above, say, Choshu vs Tenryu 5/4/93, but a fair bit below 21/6/85. Definitely not on the same level as the '86 Tenryu & Jumbo vs Choshu & Yatsu tags.

In all seriousness, I really loved this. I first visited Japan with the woman who is now my wife and the mother of my children, in 2005. I knew, from the moment I was first part of a Japanese wrestling crowd (at a NOAH show in Yokohama) that we would move here some day. The other big factor that sealed it for me was Japanese food culture. The first time we went to an izakaya I knew immediately that I needed to try everything on the menu, and the only way to do that would be to live here.

A lot of how I made friends with Kuuga and Ebessan and the Osaka Pro crew was by going out to eat and drink and really getting into enjoying and discussing every detail of the food and so on. Watching this was kind of like getting to do so with Choshu and Tenryu. 

When I saw the announcer and the ring bell, I thought at first this would be an eating contest. Osaka Pro once held a contest where several wrestlers competed to see who could finish their giant bowl of ramen topped with a mountain of bean sprouts the fastest. Zeus and I cheated to help Ebessan win. I think Tigers Mask was legit disappointed that I didn't help him instead. But this was not a speed eating contest.

Obsessive food conversation is such a huge part of my experience of Japanese culture. Tuesday was a holiday and my family made a special trip to Lotteria for dinner. I love their shake-em-in-a-bag flavoured french fries (furu pote). My kids had never tried them before, because there isn't a Lotteria near our home. we tried all four flavours (pizza, salt seaweed, consommé , butter soy sauce), sharing, and then after the meal we gave our rankings. We do stuff like that all the time. I didn't even have to encourage my kids. Of course that's what we were going to do in that situation.

To be honest. I'm not quite sure what the "contest" portion of this video amounted to. Most refined palate? Best description? Identify the secret ingredient? 

My Japanese is not good enough to catch everything, but I got the gist of it. Choshu definitely focused more on the flavours and Tenryu seemed more concerned with mouthfeel and texture. Tenru seemed to think that some sake might have been nice and I'm strongly inclined to agree there. Choshu made fun of Tenryu for using a spoon rather than chopsticks, but Tenryu wanted a bigger spoon so he could get more soup with each mouthful.

Every area of Japan has its special dishes and local food and travelling around Japan and enjoying "meibutsu" culture is maybe my favourite thing to do. March 8th is Mackerel Day in Japan, for pun-related reasons. I am not sure where this contest takes place. I'd ask my wife but she's at work now. Tokyo Mackerel is famous for being nice and oily. Yamada Suisan fisheries seem to be sponsoring this contest, and they have a branch in Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture, which is a port for one of the world's three largest fishing grounds, and known for its mackerel. Tenryu is eating "sauce katsu" style mackerel (deep fried with a sweet and sour type of brown sauce). Sauce katsu is a specialty of Fukui prefecture, which also has good mackerel. Tenryu seems to be eating grilled mackerel with soft boiled egg. I'm disappointed that we never got a really good clear look inside the bowls. 

My favourite thing was Choshu taking his time deciding whether to taste the fish cutlet or have some daikon radish first. My second-favourite thing was Tenryu trying to keep character and then finally breaking into a smile.

What star ratings did you give the family food then? ;).

Really enjoyed that post. Thanks for sharing it, friend. Great insight into Japanese culture. Japan is a county that has my interest for a while dating back to a young 6-7 year old reading my first manga Iron Fist Chinmi then going into films there, the animation for the legendary Batman: The Animated Series, Playstation/Nintendo and of course puroresu. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What star ratings did you give the family food then? ;).

Really enjoyed that post. Thanks for sharing it, friend. Great insight into Japanese culture. Japan is a county that has my interest for a while dating back to a young 6-7 year old reading my first manga Iron Fist Chinmi, manga films, Nintendo and of course puroresu.

Thanks for asking! Final rankings were as follows:

Aika (elder daughter) had pizza flavour at #1, followed by butter shoyu at 2, consomme at 3 and nori shio at 4. Maia (younger daughter) had butter shoyu at 1, followed by pizza, consomme, and seaweed. Mama went Butter soy sauce, consomme, pizza, seaweed. Papa went Butter shoyu, pizza, consomme, nori.

Butter soy sauce won. It is crazy delicious and matches perfectly with the hot and crispy fries. Nori shio (salt seaweed) was dead last but it was actually really good. It's like saying George is my least favourite Beatle. George is great. One of the best musicians and finest people I know of. I just like Ringo that little bit more.

Most interesting thing about nori shio flavour is that the powder has no aroma when you rip open the foil pack, but after you put it on the fries and shake it and open the bag, the seaweed aroma is overwhelmingly strong.

Consomme and Nori shio are also very popular potato chip flavours in Japan. Like, maybe, BBQ and sour cream & onion in America or salt and vinegar or (I dunno) beetroot slices & pickled onion crisps where you are? Butter soy sauce popcorn is also pretty popular here.

Pizza is a limited time "seasonal" offering, which is another great thing about Japanese food culture. I've also tried corn potage and garlic shrimp fries at Lotteria. The corn soup fries aroma was amazing.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Control said:

NOAH vs DDT unification match. Muto first ever double-champion. Make it happen!

Lol, I was not wanting to say it to put it out into the world but I dread an hour long draw between Akiyama-Mutoh. So many more options!

The CyberFight show will have offer matches as well and their top singles belts defended:

KO-D Openweight Championship match

GHC World Heavyweight Championship match

Princess of Princess Championship match

CyberFes will happen every year if all goes well.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

Yoshitatsu wants to win the Triple Crown and establish Royal Road-Stong Style, he wants to do Wrestler vs Karate or Judo guy and other pro wrestling/fighting styles like pre 2000 NJPW.  I don't think he will win tbh and his promos are nutty like NOAH juniors so lot of hot air.

Jun Kasai wants to inject Deathmatches into the Royal Road. Baba wouldn't like that.

The Royal Road of Reiwa should be solidified post both the Death Match TV title match and after Yoshitatsu vs Suwama.

There were other roads before..Hado, Masamichi, Shindo, Bushido, Jado, Gedo, Outrageous, Beast Road, Detour, Shortcut, Stray Road etc. Now we also have DDT Main Road.

7 hours ago, Control said:

NOAH vs DDT unification match. Muto first ever double-champion. Make it happen!

First ever NOAH/DDT Champ, yeah.

But he wouldn't be the first Japan double-champ.