DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Just watched the AJPW Jr title match from 1/21. My takeaway from the match was that Fuminori Abe is awesome and should probably get the belt sooner than later. Iwamoto was fine as usual but didn't really do much, gave all the offense to Abe which made for a pretty great showcase of the challenger. Match ended kind of abruptly which would make sense if their plan was to not go overboard and leave things open for a rematch. 

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

The second wasn't around long was it? I really liked that and the original one.

Nearly two years. The new upcoming Logo will represent the destination to the next era.

• Thanks 1

That match has been a strange sort of mile-marker in my wrestling fandom. I saw it when I was first getting into Japanese wrestling, and loved it. As I read more and got 'smarter', I learned that it was actually an empty spectacle, just two dudes welting each other. But then as I watched more and developed my own tastes, I discerned it was a spectacle full of the meaning the crowd gave it, and that two dudes welting each other is a great story. Or at least, it was then. If strike exchanges and fighting spirit chops have become a meme, I'm not inclined to blame Kobashi and Sasaki. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I think the tag match from November with Shiozaki and Nakajima is a better match but the first match is a perfectly realized dream match. 

I agree. Gave both *****. Sasaki/Nakajima vs. Kobashi/Shiosaki was my 2005 MOTY and that was a deep year.

• Like 1

Shame no Jun on the card. That stinks. If it's 10 years from now, nobody from Baba's AJPW other than Fuchi will still be wrestling.

I'm probably most excited for the Hansen/Baba hologram match.

Oh shit, I just noticed it's Tiger Mask II in the 2nd match. Another hologram?!

Edited by Jiji

RJPW will honor 40 years of Tigermask 1, Tigermask hopes to get back in the ring but I expect he will drop most of his kick offense.

I will post the card later.

RJPW will debut and train their own Joshi.

Edited by D.Z