DVDVR Message Board

Raw is League of Legends - 1/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The main event was a great match and deserved to happen at the Rumble.

A Drew/Goldberg match means we likely won't have to worry about Goldberg winning the Rumble and getting a Wrestlemania Moment, but the powers that be have shown how much they like making bad decisions.

Is The Hurt Business losing going to lead them ditching MVP or what? They've been on fire the past few months so I guess it only makes sense for them to try and fix what isn't broken.

So all the Legends that Orton has hurt are gonna be in the Firefly Fun House... OOOO SPOOPY. "NO BIG SHOW, DON'T BURN ME ALIVE!" 

Main was good but felt a bit slow. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what Keith is "learning" at the Center. Also can't stand that rollup pin "kickout" where the guy pinning just pushes the other guy up by shoving his ass; Drew did that tonight. The Spanish Fly was super crazy because it just looked like an insane suplex from the top rope instead of some cooperative crap. Boy I bet Keith's back and Drew's possibly herneated stomach do not feel good. 

Then they brought out Old Man Bill and he pushed Drew down and they immediately cut to Steve Austin's celebrity show hahaha

Skipped around a lot since I have little interest in legends at this point.

Charlotte/Asuka vs. Peyton/Lacey was ok. The finish was odd.

Dug the Shayna vs. Mandy/Dana segment though I was kind of hoping Mandy would get a real chance at a proper singles match.

Hurt Business losing to Lucha House Party feels odd though I suppose it was about time for them to do something with the tension that has been building between Shelton & Cedric. Hopefully this all ends as fake out and isn't the beginning of the group breaking up or kicking anyone out. These guys are perfect together and really should be allowed to stay together for at least a good year or two.

Lee/Drew was damn near great and easily the best thing Lee has done in months, even going back to his NXT time. I only wish Lee had been built up decently. This could have easily been a ppv main event if Lee had decent momentum/writing.

I'm actually ok with Goldberg challenging Drew. It keeps Goldberg away from Roman, and Drew can probably drag a better match out of Goldberg. 

Watched for legends. Was gonna be disappointed as usual until the icon Goldberg showed up. I like this. After last year's shitfest match, theres no more real interest in Goldberg/Roman but here there's at least a little doubt in Goldberg/Drew so I'm intrigued. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

It's crazy that last night was the 22nd anniversary of Mankind's title win/Fingerpoke of Doom...and 22 years later, Goldberg is main eventing the Royal Rumble.

see? long term booking pays off. it was best for business after all

• Haha 1

Did Drew actually insult the legends like Goldberg claimed?  Apparently, the main event ran long last night.  I've seen several reports claiming Drew was supposed to cut a post-match promo which "disrespected" the legends and brought out Goldberg, but, due to time constraints, they sent Goldberg out early and Drew never got to cut the promo?

Only watched a couple minutes of RAW during commercial breaks of other shows.  Guess I should catch the main event.  Anything else worth catching?  

I caught the end of Charlotte's match but wasn't clear why Ric tripped her?  Trying to flirt with Lacey or Peyton?  Lol, that would probably give Charlotte flashbacks to college.  I can easily picture Ric as the sort of dad who would visit Charlotte at college, then pretend not to know her so her can hit on her friends.  I'm kidding of course.  Nothing I've heard about Ric's personal life makes me think he would take a lot of time away from being The Nature Boy to visit Charlotte at university. 

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. But I can see Goldberg beating McIntyre to set up champ vs champ with Goldberg/Reigns at WM. Maybe we get the Universal Heavyweight Championship as unification.

Goldberg has been one of the few who moves the needle, so it makes sense for him to be on RAW with its shaky ratings. Still, they'll want to get Goldberg back in Roman's orbit.

Also, Goldberg likely won't want to take back-to-back world title losses, having dropped the Universal title to Strowman last April.

The obvious million-dollar question is what happens with the Rumble winner. The easiest thing is have Bryan win and face Roman at WM. But both Rumble matches feel like they're up in the air right now. With no live crowds to disrupt, Vince can do something out of left field. 

Would they have Goldberg beat Drew? They've done a good job of protecting McIntyre and beating Goldberg would be a big win on his resume. But who knows if Drew is being internally blamed for RAW's ratings. The head wearing the crown may get the axe, fair or not.

There's also Miz having MITB again to consider

If USA is breathing down his neck for something big, Vince belting Goldberg to then make Roman double champ is a possibility. 

• Sad 1

Also, the Randy-Alexa angle went nowhere. Geez. Whether one liked it or not, at least it was an attempt at something different. So instead of starting the show with it, we get 30 minutes of Miz TV and a New Day-Miz & Morrison tag match.

We finally get Orton, who says he showed Alexa mercy and didn't burn her. Which--OK, whatever. But where's Alexa? A bad story horrendously handled to be even worse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Would they have Goldberg beat Drew? They've done a good job of protecting McIntyre and beating Goldberg would be a big win on his resume. But who knows if Drew is being internally blamed for RAW's ratings. The head wearing the crown may get the axe, fair or not.

I'm assuming they're going somewhere with the Sheamus heel teases, so I could see them taking the belt off Drew and feuding him with Sheamus and/or Lee up to WM.

Of course, assuming the WWE will go somewhere with an angle is a good way to make an "Ass" out of yourself. so....